Squirrels!

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Gun.
Bullet.
Scope.
Sight in range.

Old sears bolt action 282. I need to find what year it is, my old mans when he was a boy.
.22 cci quite segmented hp
Simmons 3-9x32 came on my first high power rifle. 270
16yds it holds Moa.
Better with regular lr.22 but I like the quite a lot.

Let’s here your squirrel set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Marlin 781 22lr
Leupold 2-7 rimfire
CCI Mini-Mags, not HP.
It’ll drive roof racks at 25yds. Pulls double duty on beavers as well.

Also have a Marlin SS 22 Mag with bull barrel. Bushnell 3-9x40. Shoots Winchester Supreme 34gr HP, these are now the Win Varmit HE. It’s also a beaver killa.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Favorites-

Marlin 81TS Bolt with Tasco 4x
T/C Contender 10 inch Bull barrel with 2x Sighttron Scope
T/c Conterder 10" Octogon Barrel with reddot
Marlin 783 with 4x Tasco 22 maxi mags

LR shoot CCI mini mags rifle is sighted for 75 and pistols for 50 yds

20 gauge Win. 37a
16 gauge Win 37a

and a couple others

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Traditions Deerhunter .32 caliber muzzleloader
Goex FFFg 15 grains real black powder
.310 lead round ball
.18 pillow ticking patch
Trappers Mink Oil patch lube
CCI percussion cap

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Marlin 880SQ bolt with a slicked up trigger, Redhead 4X24X40 shooting CCI Mini Mags.

Remington 597 with a target hammer and spring kit, Vortex 3X12X40 shooting Remington Gold Bullets and CCI Velocitors.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Savage Rascal
Savage 24b
10/22
Ruger Mk 3
Recurve
Compound

All used interchangeably pending where/when I’m hunting.

Most fun are the combo weapon hunts. Great practice for deer. Compound bow with the pistol as second option is loads of fun.

Makes you stalk them right up close on the ground.

But I have my 17 on rockandroll at 100 when I feel like sniping

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Remington 597
Bushnell 3x9x40
.22LR which ever box I grab
fe40bef342ab9f3b71b49f188ccf4da9.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ruger 10/22 with compact fixed 4x scope.
Remington Nylon 66 with open sights.
CCI Mini Mag hp’s or Remington Golden Bullet hp’s.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Mostly a moss 500 12 gauge with 6 high brass will occasionally pull out single shot Remm. bolt action 22 model 510

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I though sledge was to hit and shake tree when one gets hung, last ditch throw pipe wrench. Learn somn everyday, new squirrel skinning technique.

We used to catty aluminum ball bats in competition hunts for when they treed in hollow trees. You would be surprised how many would come out when you got to banging on it.

np307

Ten Pointer
Marlin 60
Federal auto match
Tech sights
Zeroed at 25 but regularly shot at 50 to stay fresh.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We used to catty aluminum ball bats in competition hunts for when they treed in hollow trees. You would be surprised how many would come out when you got to banging on it.

there is still an aluminum baseball bat in the top of my old coonhunting box,,,,,some shells, and an old CBradio and such,,,,

reckon I need to empty that thing out finally,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
there is still an aluminum baseball bat in the top of my old coonhunting box,,,,,some shells, and an old CBradio and such,,,,

reckon I need to empty that thing out finally,,,,
Never say never, a year ago if someone told me I would be back wide open deer hunting I would have told them they had lost their mind. But here I am.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
next thing you know you'll be hauling a pack of walkers back and forth and the curs will get attitudes!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
next thing you know you'll be hauling a pack of walkers back and forth and the curs will get attitudes!
If I start hauling anything back and forth it will be modified curs. There are certain strains of them that will smoke a deer all day and are much easier to control and handle. About the same Rx used on bears just a little different type hound blood added. And yes, I have been ridden hard the past few weeks about not IF but when. SMH

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Have harvested couple squirrels while deer hunting also. Remember had one squirrel at the base of my tree stand in Ky one year bugging me. .308 to the head from the FAL. This one after a unsuccessful day of deer hunting in NC, .41 mag to the shoulder. Both ended up in the pot.

CD

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
.17 Mark II but I hate to skin a squirrel. Had rather skin a deer than a dang squirrel. Also I'm not fond of squirrel meat or dumplings so I haven't hunted them in years. Last time I did I took my Jack Russell (Shorty) and he outran me chasing a squirrel from tree to tree and got over the ridge top out of sight. I had hunted deer there and was forever seeing coyotes so that was the last time I took Shorty or went squirrel hunting for that matter.