Squirrels at Bird Feeders

Wlfpkmann 1178

I've got squirrels at my bird feeders now. Anyone have any recommendations for how to get rid of them (before squirrel season)? I know there are supposed to be things you can get to put on feeders to knock them off/keep them from getting on the feeders.

What do you do/use to keep the squirrels away?
I have done just about everything. Broke down and bought squirrel proof feeder

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
He shot 200 over a year and still had more coming in.

oh the fishing lures

back when I was young, I'd save all my squirrel tails fall and winter, then go into Mepps and sell them,,,Mepps is in my hometown - got good money for back then (25 cents for a good gray, 10 cents for a red) and prices haven't changed from what I can see

but it all adds up!!

Earsom

Button Buck
As a bird owner, I know how annoying it is to see how my birds have to compromise their eating portions because some squirrels try to take away their food. There is a great innovation called squirrel baffles. The best squirrel baffles are great tools to block off the entry where the squirrels pass through to get to the bird feeder.

Last edited:

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
As a bird owner, I know how annoying it is to see how my birds have to compromise their eating portions because some squirrels try to take away their food. There is a great innovation called squirrel baffles. The best squirrel baffles are great tools to block off the entry where the squirrels pass through to get to the bird feeder.
I've got "squirrel baffles" inside the tube that screws onto the end of my .22lr barrel.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
This 5* squirrel proof feeder made by Brome exclusively for Walmart stores works 100% against those tree rats. Only time they get any seed is when they shake the feeder to get a small amount of spillage on the ground. It is very similiar to Brome Squirrel Buster feeders, but not quite as expensive.

Attachments

• 20210911_103301.jpg
    20210911_103301.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Ace was out of the cayenne bird seed (stuff is awesome, son learned about rubbing your eyes LOL) so we got the habanero. Puppy has enjoyed a few squirrel chases since the change.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
You could get a bag of cob corn for the squirrels and get rid of the coon. I feed the birds the homemade chicken scratch feed that I have so I have plenty of feed to just put extra out and let the squirrels eat too. But if you have a garden then I would just get some quiet 22 ammo or air rifle and protect your food,your not hunting at that point and don't think you will have trouble if you keep to yourself. Me personally would not let anyone dictate what animals I decide not to tolerate in my own yard

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Just seen the dates on the older posts,thought this was a newer thread. Disregard the suggestion on coon unless someone else is having problems

odie408

Ten Pointer
One time I got tired of the little boogers chewing my feeders and put a big plastic funnel over the top on the wire it was hanging from. They figured how to slide over that. So I cut an extension cord and hooked the ground to the wire and the hot wire to a metal ring down on the funnel. When I would see that little booger coming I would flip on the power. When he would slide down the wire and touch the metal ring he would fall to the ground and look around like what the hell was that and run off. But this only works when the power is on and I didn't leave it on so he still chewed my feeder when I wasn't there.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
During the cooler months, we leave our bait on the dock at night to thaw out. 500 to 600 pound of fish sitting there and coons will go for a single marshmallow every time.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You could get a bag of cob corn for the squirrels and get rid of the coon. I feed the birds the homemade chicken scratch feed that I have so I have plenty of feed to just put extra out and let the squirrels eat too. But if you have a garden then I would just get some quiet 22 ammo or air rifle and protect your food,your not hunting at that point and don't think you will have trouble if you keep to yourself. Me personally would not let anyone dictate what animals I decide not to tolerate in my own yard
yeah- i am thinking about not tolerating deer in my yd.
I wonder if the GW will accept my definition of yard? Anything attached to the house plot that i mow? 🤷‍♂️

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I wonder if the GW will accept my definition of yard? Anything attached to the house plot that i mow? 🤷‍♂️
I think big game might be the tipping point that would require a lawyer as a workaround the hunting/food protection theory

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
During the cooler months, we leave our bait on the dock at night to thaw out. 500 to 600 pound of fish sitting there and coons will go for a single marshmallow every time.
that is probably the best bait to use for them in a Live trap. 1 big ole marshmallow.

timber

Twelve Pointer

Don’t know about yard but if they are eating your vegetables the season is open

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
This old Savage and CCI quiets tends to work pretty well, I leave it sitting by the door.
I don't really care if the tree rats eat the bird seed, but I don't like them chewing on the feeders and chewing on my porch railings.

20210913_194711.jpg

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Literally 2 minutes ago, puppy treed a bird feeder squirrel in the front yard. She didn’t know where it went. LOL. Had to point up the tree.

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
In the city so I use a trap and relocate them miles away. Set at night and usually by the time I am ready to hit the road in the morning I got one in the trap. Found it’s best to put peanut butter under the trap trigger flap thing. They stick their nose under the flap and works every time.

Got so bad one time I caught 11 in one week and still had 5 at the feeders. I need to thin them out again.