Squirreling with a muzzleloader

Cornbread

Eight Pointer
I have always wanted to squirrel hunt with a muzzleloader and I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on one, anybody got any suggestions, no synthetic I want wood, thanks for any info

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Although I grew up using a 45 cal T/C Seneca until we found a 32 cal barrel.
36 or 32 is what most use.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Another option is a smoothbore barrel.
.54cal(28ga) and .62cal(20ga) smoothbore barrels offer additional flexibility.
My first was a Green Mountain .54cal smoothbore barrel for a TC Hawken. ( below )
Later got a .62cal(20ga) for a TC Hawken and used it for squirrels, turkey, crows, doves.

RS18.JPG

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I love my .32 caliber. Something special about a frosty fall morning and seeing/smelling real black powder smoke rolling thru the timber.......

vox0XKB.jpg

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I have a friend who has a Traditions Crockett 32 and I've shot it a few times. Very nice shooting rifle!

Cornbread, I found mine at Log Cabin Shop. Its no longer in production and was looking for that particular model and got lucky and found one there.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Anyone give an approximate value on this .32?
It’s at a local auction, ending today.
651bbc5de93de928d3c934e6d3c32a3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Bore condition, to me, is everything. No way to know without inspecting the bore. If the previous owner did not maintain it correctly it could be so pitted its would need a new barrel. Used black powder firearms really need to be personally inspected before buying, IMO. The scratches and such on the wood can be refinished and fixed, not a big deal to me. A new under barrel ramrod is not a problem. That rifle appears to be a TC Cherokee. Fine production rifles. Unfired in the box I'd pay in the $500 neighborhood, give or take. Used, lower. But again personally I'd never buy a used BP gun without a hands-on inspection, or if there was just no way I could be there to inspect in person, at the VERY least a written inspection of the barrel condition from a reputable gunsmith. Taking a chance you could end up with a nice rifle or a boat anchor.....

Haleh

Spike
I don't think it's a Cherokee. Possibly an after market barrel on a renegade. If Roundball sees this thread he would probably know for sure.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Bore condition, to me, is everything. No way to know without inspecting the bore. If the previous owner did not maintain it correctly it could be so pitted its would need a new barrel. Used black powder firearms really need to be personally inspected before buying, IMO. The scratches and such on the wood can be refinished and fixed, not a big deal to me. A new under barrel ramrod is not a problem. That rifle appears to be a TC Cherokee. Fine production rifles. Unfired in the box I'd pay in the $500 neighborhood, give or take. Used, lower. But again personally I'd never buy a used BP gun without a hands-on inspection, or if there was just no way I could be there to inspect in person, at the VERY least a written inspection of the barrel condition from a reputable gunsmith. Taking a chance you could end up with a nice rifle or a boat anchor.....

Thanks. The few I saw sold online went for 5-600. Not being able to inspect it I would gamble at 250-300, but bidding is already above that. I’m gonna pass on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I don't think it's a Cherokee. Possibly an after market barrel on a renegade. If Roundball sees this thread he would probably know for sure.

Here is a picture of a TC Cherokee in 32 cal. I'm almost sure the one above is a Cherokee if its a 32 cal original barrel.

3bgq5UD.jpg

Haleh

Spike
Cheek piece is wrong, but plate is wrong trigger guard is different and mine has a teardrop washer on the opposite side of the lock.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve got copies of all the T/C Arms catalogs from the 70’s & 80’s, and that doesn’t match any Cherokee stock they show.
Like you mentioned , looks like a Renegade.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Thanks for setting me straight. I would have bet it was a Cherokee, guess I was wrong. Renegade with an aftermarket 32 barrel. Hum, I bet it shoots great.