Squirrel Recipes?

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Anyone have any good squirrel recipes? Or just any recommendations about cooking with squirrel meat? Small game season is almost here! :D

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I’ll go.
I clean mine up to just the hams
Set them in a stainless colander over a saucepan and steam them like chicken wings for about 10 minutes, then toss in wing sauce and deep fry like wings.

The steaming tenderizes pretty well, and keeps them moist.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Another recipe.
I sousvide the bone-in hams for about 6hrs on 160*.

Then season the “pulled” boneless meat and roll it up in crescent rolls with onions, spinach, cheese, whatever.

Fantastic.

Like squirrels in a blanket meets a quiche.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Another recipe.
I sousvide the bone-in hams for about 6hrs on 160*.

Then season the “pulled” boneless meat and roll it up in crescent rolls with onions, spinach, cheese, whatever.

Fantastic.

Like squirrels in a blanket meets a quiche.
now that one is different and sounds interesting. I may have to try some bushy tailed tree rat dressed up nice and fancy.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm a classic squirrel gravy guy with my second favorite way is squirrel dumplings. Was well said above any chicken recipe can substitute squirrel I'd for sure try the dumplings and would recommend corn bread green beans and mash taters. Dang now I'm starving.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I love mine just battered and fired, after par-boiling but here is another simple one. Naturally, parboil and put pieces in a tray'pan thingy that will go in the oven. Add water, vinegar, butter and crushed red pepper. Cook it till it's done....... that's the best I can do.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Par boil’em till tender. Let’em cool then roll’em in seasoned flower and fry till brown in a cast iron skillet that’s hotter than the gates of Hell.

Let’s be honest, you got three options with squirrels. 1. Fried like mentioned above. 2. Put’em in dumplings or 3. Brunswick stew. Anything else and you’re trying to hard and all our ancestors will be rolling over in their graves. ???