Squirrel recipes

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
Here is mine. This is for a huge batch, so adjust accordingly:

10 squirrels in pieces (I like lotsa squirrels and less of the other ingredients)
2 cups of corn
1 lb of bacon diced up
5 lbs of potatoes
2 qts of tomatoes
3 lbs of onions diced up
2 lbs of lima Beans
1 cup of celery diced up
salt, pepper
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
flour

Put the squirrels in a pot and half cover them with water. Boil and them simmer so the tree rats are tender. Get the meat out and debone. Put the meat back in the stock and put all the ingredients in. Cook for ~ 2 hours. Thicken up the stew with flour mixed with water. Simmer on low for 30 minutes. Break out the biscuits! Modified version: Cook the bacon first, and remove from the pot. Saute the onions in the bacon fat that is left in the pot, then remove. Put the squirrels in the pot, and barely cover with water. Remove the squirrels when tender, and pull the meat from the bones. Now dump everything together in the stock, and cook. I put the bacon pieces in when the stew was about done and ready to be served. If you want to thicken it, use some crushed up saltine crackers instead of the flour. It only takes a few crackers, and thickens up the stew almost instantly. It is way better than using raw flour.

Brunswick stew was originally made with squirrels. There are lots of good recipes on the internet.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
^That's a pretty good and simple recipe, just the way I like mine. About the only difference in what I do is I cook mine in a black pot over an open hickory fire. Have to stand there and stir the thing the whole time though or it will stick to the pot.

Another one is to parboil as is mentioned above but just till tender. Don't overdo it so that the meat stays on the bone. Remove from stock, let dry then flour and pan fry in a black skillet. It won't take long once it goes in.

Another, parboil, remove from the water, put in baking dish. Add water, vinegar, salt, crushed red pepper and plenty of butter. Put it in the oven for a while.

Obviously I don't know anything about recipes. I just throw it together and cook it till I'm happy with it. Good luck.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Well I had one little ole squirrel to try so I rolled it in flour and pan fried it. First time that I have ever ate any squirrel but I must say it has good flavor. Kinda chewy the way I cooked it, reminded me of chicken gizzards. Thanks for the recipes. Maybe I can kill 4 or 5 next Saturday and try y’alls recipes. Thanks

nontypical

Ten Pointer
You know bud we just got the Instant Pot for Christmas and we have thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought about mixing some squirrel meat in with the cube steak and gravy.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I plan on trying it this weekend with some jerky/ stir fry cuts of venison and some chicken. I’m fresh out of squirrel meat and probably won’t have time to hunt anymore this season.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I plan on trying it this weekend with some jerky/ stir fry cuts of venison and some chicken. I’m fresh out of squirrel meat and probably won’t have time to hunt anymore this season.

If you are close by the Clayton area I can get you a couple bags of frozen squirrels from this seasons collection. I’ve got a boat load in the freezer! Be glad to share some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nontypical

Ten Pointer
If you are close by the Clayton area I can get you a couple bags of frozen squirrels from this seasons collection. I’ve got a boat load in the freezer! Be glad to share some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Clayton ain’t to far down the road.