Squirrel opening day

old dog

Spike
I hope there are a few out there as excited as I am about tomorrow. Deer are all well and good, but I am ready to walk the woods after the bushytails. Got my morning sit planned, hope I can get one quick than move on and see how many of my other spots can yield one. Just tired of sitting in a stand for the past few weeks. A little woods wandering is what I need. Good luck all.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'll take a day of squirrel hunting over deer any day it'll be little bit before I can go though gotta work all week then fall turkey hunt coming up next week. I like to hunt when leaves are still on nothing like shakey limb to know one is around. Finally gonna cool off to where walking will be comfortable

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ll be hunting behind my buddy’s cur tomorrow morning. Might get out in the evening and still-hunt them with my 22. Anymore I enjoy small game just as much as deer and waterfowl.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I'll wait a few weeks until the temps drop into the 60's. It's 0600 now and the temp is 75! I hunt for enjoyment and not to be miserable. I do enough of that fishing! :ROFLMAO:

A mess of squirrels would be good though. :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'll wait a few weeks until the temps drop into the 60's. It's 0600 now and the temp is 75! I hunt for enjoyment and not to be miserable. I do enough of that fishing! :ROFLMAO:

A mess of squirrels would be good though. :)
Come west 49 this AM be in upper 30s Thur and Fri night. We may not have bunch deer but got plenty squirrels in Pisgah

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Planning to go on first squirrel hunt after work today. Did some scouting yesterday. Even if I don't get a squirrel, it will be nice just getting out in the woods. Could really feel the season shift yesterday afternoon as it got colder. Nothing like forest air in your lungs.

sears303

Spike
Come west 49 this AM be in upper 30s Thur and Fri night. We may not have bunch deer but got plenty squirrels in Pisgah

Any better area then others out there in Pisgah? I am new to the area as well as hunting and looking to get at some squirrels to get my feet wet. Any tips would be appreciated.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Any better area then others out there in Pisgah? I am new to the area as well as hunting and looking to get at some squirrels to get my feet wet. Any tips would be appreciated.
Your in luck what sucks for deer is bonus for squirrel hardwoods every where you just gotta go for goid walk find some nuts and your set. There will be some areas better than others for nuts sometimes have to change elevation to find better producing ones. And I would highly recommend hunting hickory's till they gone kill most mine around hickory early

Fwawa20

Button Buck
View attachment 34293
Got a neat one tempting me in the back yard this afternoon. We've had a group of white ones about a mile up the road, but this is the first time I've seen one at the house..View attachment 34294View attachment 34295

That’s a white squirrel and not albino. They are only usually found in Brevard/Hendersonville. Hence why Brevard has the White squirrel festival every year. Not legal to hunt white squirrels in those areas. They are however just as common as seeing a grey squirrel. Grew up there and you see them everywhere.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That’s a white squirrel and not albino. They are only usually found in Brevard/Hendersonville. Hence why Brevard has the White squirrel festival every year. Not legal to hunt white squirrels in those areas. They are however just as common as seeing a grey squirrel. Grew up there and you see them everywhere.
Yeah, I've been to the white squirrel festival a few times and have seen the white squirrels up in brevard and hendersonville, but I'm just down the mountain from there. We don't have near as many, just a few areas with a white squirrel population. A buddy of mine lives near Winston Salem and he said there was a neighborhood up there that had a bunch. It's funny how there's areas that have them and some don't. But the one in my backyard is still safe, haven't seen/had time to fool with it.... or I might just watch him. I like squirrel hunting, but if my dogs don't tree it ,it's not as fun for me.