Squirrel hunting east NC game lands?

Dug6070

Button Buck
Any recommendations as to where to go? I went last weekend at the Croatan national forest game land near Great Lakes rd and didn’t see much activity at all.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
This time year they hole up pretty hard if you can catch a unseasonably warm day hot any patch hardwoods you can find especially if has some fringe clear cut can catch them stripping bark and pick off few but it won't be like Oct or Nov hunting

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I used to live down there and hunt all over the Croatan where you're talking about. I'll post you some coordinates of the only place I was ever successful. Stand by.
Here you go: 34°46'29.55"N 77° 3'32.75"W
There's a white Forest Service gate at the road (or used to be). Park there and walk down the path and then bear right and follow the fire trail along the edge of the swamp - hunt along the fire trail.

Last edited:

Dug6070

Button Buck
I used to live down there and hunt all over the Croatan where you're talking about. I'll post you some coordinates of the only place I was ever successful. Stand by.
Here you go: 34°46'29.55"N 77° 3'32.75"W
There's a white Forest Service gate at the road (or used to be). Park there and walk down the path and then bear right and follow the fire trail along the edge of the swamp - hunt along the fire trail.
Thanks I went out there today after work and didn’t see anything but I’m sure they’re out there. Really wanna get on some squirrels, I’m used to hunting hardwoods though so that may have something to do with it.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I have read magazine articles about squirrels in Croatan but darned if I can find any...place seems void of them.

Lee

Six Pointer
Hunt the edges where the hardwoods stop and the pines begin. Right now they are back to feeding on the nuts within the pine cones. I limited out a few times walking the edges

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I have read magazine articles about squirrels in Croatan but darned if I can find any...place seems void of them.
Check out the coordinates I provided above - I've killed a few there in the past. Also, another good place is near the boat landing (Haywoods Landing) on the White Oak River, if it's still legal to hunt there.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Check out the coordinates I provided above - I've killed a few there in the past. Also, another good place is near the boat landing (Haywoods Landing) on the White Oak River, if it's still legal to hunt there.
Thanks for the coordinates. Yes I have spent quite a bit of time in that area during the past couple months. But I have seen only 1 or 2 squirrels total. How long has it been since you hunted there? Maybe it was just a poor mast crop this year or last year that explains no squirrels there this year...

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
LOL, that explains it!; Thanks again. A lot of guys would never share such specific information.

I am fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt squirrels in Piedmont, i have a really good spot there.