Squirrel Hunting Adventures Continue

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Been squirrel hunting every weekend since small game season opened. Still trying to get another one after that first squirrel. Thought I'd share a few pictures from today's late afternoon/early evening hunt on game land.

Did not see any squirrels, but did find some cool tracks by a nearly dried-up creek. Bobcat, I think. And a deer scrape. And it was a beautiful time to be in the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_20191111_163250396.jpg
    IMG_20191111_163250396.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20191111_162725548.jpg
    IMG_20191111_162725548.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20191111_165724710_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191111_165724710_HDR.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20191111_162652735.jpg
    IMG_20191111_162652735.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 92

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do not see a cat track. Some variety of canine IMO.

This is a bobcat track with an SC card for size reference. I describe a cat track as the main pad with 4 pinto beans for toes. Almost never see a claw mark. The ground was pretty firm so this track is not very deep.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That still looks canine to me also. Generally a cat track will be considerably more rounded. That track that is to the rear makes you look close but I think it is a canine with good feet.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
On the squirrel side you got any hickory that have dropped if so I'd sit there to find the squirrel

Thanks! I'll keep looking for hickory nuts and acorns. I think I may have been in the wrong habitat yesterday. Walked through a couple thick creek bottoms and a cedar wood. No acorns or other nuts. But also someone was running dogs after a deer not far from me.

Anyway, thank y'all for the tips!

Last edited:

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Been squirrel hunting every weekend since small game season opened. Still trying to get another one after that first squirrel. Thought I'd share a few pictures from today's late afternoon/early evening hunt on game land.

Did not see any squirrels, but did find some cool tracks by a nearly dried-up creek. Bobcat, I think. And a deer scrape. And it was a beautiful time to be in the woods.
When I moved down East I went to Barnes and Nobles and bought a book about reading tracks in this area. It was pocket size so I could carry it with me. Most of them were critters you find all over N.C. but they may even have one specific to north central N.C. It was pretty detailed with good illustrations. As a side note I ended up giving mine to a grandson in scouts to use when they go camping or hiking.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
When I moved down East I went to Barnes and Nobles and bought a book about reading tracks in this area. It was pocket size so I could carry it with me. Most of them were critters you find all over N.C. but they may even have one specific to north central N.C. It was pretty detailed with good illustrations. As a side note I ended up giving mine to a grandson in scouts to use when they go camping or hiking.

I use Stokes' Guide to Animal Tracking and Behavior