Squirrel gambrels

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
That's a good one and looks to be easily copied. I've had a Koont's for some years but may get a buddy to make one like that just to have it. Can never have too many squirrel gambrels.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Kinda similar to the cutting at tail stepping on it and stand up method. Eithet makes it easy. One thing I need to get in habit of using more is game shears I never remember to take em with me or get em out if at home then i watch guys use them and looks convenient

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Kinda similar to the cutting at tail stepping on it and stand up method.

The gambrel may be slightly cleaner, but a boot is faster.

Cutting around the middle results in too much hair for me.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
And I hate getting hair off a squirrel or rabbit ticks my wife off if I don't bring em in clean She is not much for the wild game handling?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tried that. Got fur everywhere and still didn't skin the damn thing. :)
If they are hot that is by far the best way. I can smoke most anyone skinning them any other way and not get hardly any hair on them. But that is head shot squirrels only. Which is the name of the game, we used to only use rifles. If they are cold we used to have a jig we put them in and used an improvised slit at the tail method.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
slit across the back. 2 fingers from each hand in slit , pull opposite ways. easy.

Up until I began to get a little"ritus" in my right hand that's the way I did them also. Since I've come to grips with getting older I use the stand up tail way.... Seems easier and much less painful....

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I;m with Tip on this. I tried the "step on the tail" method and wound up with more hair on the meat than on the hide. LOL. I didn't finish the job either. I like this latest method and thankfully we got a good video showing how its done. I have a huge Oak tree in my yard in Fla and the squirrels almost drove poor Shorty to death chasing them up and around that tree. I'm taking my RWS .22 pellet rifle with me this winter and my neighbor is an excellent cook. Squirrels are not my favorite but I can still eat a few of them. LOL.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well this has been educational. Woodmoose's way is all I've ever known. I'll have to try some of this new technology. :)

Quick setup I made, just gotta shorten then paracord that holds the feet

61c3e0903abe37fe609efc2e8ef4e25c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Does anyone have a Ridge Runner Hunting Supplies small game skinner? They look nice.

<>< Fish

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1602862625538.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602862625538.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 42

ncsporksman

Button Buck
Here’s mine, the tail method is great, not so much for my back, for me keeps it cleaner and $10 tin snips work way better than any meat shears I ever bought

Attachments

• 4886426A-A13F-4F27-B0CD-99D64F8DD671.jpeg
    4886426A-A13F-4F27-B0CD-99D64F8DD671.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 47
  • A49884D9-0206-4BE7-89C1-A561B2F5AEC1.jpeg
    A49884D9-0206-4BE7-89C1-A561B2F5AEC1.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 46

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok, I'm finally going to try a gambrel. It seems younger hunters don't have enough weight to keep the tail under their boot.

Which one is the best? Koonts skinner or the style with v-notches?

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never had my hand on a Koonts and only have a cobbled up homemade version with the tapered notches for the feet and head. That cobbled up and method shown in this thread is the absolute easiest and cleanest way I have ever skinned a tree rat.

There are several versions of manufactured ones out there in the $30 to $45 range that appear to be either laser cut or stamped and formed. Hunters Helper and Ridge Runner Squirrel Skinner look nice.

ncsporksman

Button Buck
W the gambrel I can skin around gut shots w/o ripping the thing in half, bent over boot on a tail Really messes me up, rheumatism is a b$&@% at 33, trying to get as many years as I can outta this body

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I ordered 2 Ridge Runners and got to test one out yesterday. These are pretty slick. Very solid and they keep all of the work at shoulder height.

I was able to set up a skinning station on a post I already had to hold the other stuff. Switched over to shears and catfish pliers too. I had been doing it all with a small knife.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The tools and methods described in this thread are game changers for sure. Definitely the cleanest and quickest way I have seen to shuck out tree rats!