Squirrel dogs?

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Sounds like your mom might not be happy when you start trapping this year and bringing home critters to skin
That's exactly what happened last season. I put up a few, but then she said "please, don't bring any more of those here." Just not her thing. So now my plan is to hopefully camp and trap on game land and put up any fur I catch at the campsite. Weather permitting.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know and I appreciate it. :) You are making me wish I could get a squirrel dog now though. But it will have to wait 'til I'm living in my own house again. My mom can't tolerate me putting up fur here and barely tolerates me eating squirrels during small game season and my cat can't tolerate me bringing in another animal, especially a dog. 😂
First step is to get rid of that cat. Cats don’t tree, track, bay or anything else productive. They just lay around and sponge off of you like some progressive liberal.

Next thing is to hustle that taxi cab and save up and get your own place so you can cook what you please and put up fur in the kitchen if you so desire.

If it were me, I’d be bombarding Lowe’s, Home Depot, Grocery stores, or even fast food joints with applications. They’re paying higher hourly wages than some production and manufacturing jobs. Heck for that matter, there are lots of those type jobs paying $16 per hour and up with no experience necessary. Get you one of those type jobs and keep the taxi driver job as extra $$$.

Either that or tell Mommy dearest that she’s just gonna have to deal with dead critters. You were a hunter and trapper when you moved back in and she can get get over it or get bent.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Wouldn’t they be considered trash though?

trash???

depends on why you hunt,,,, cats (feral,,, so no one get mad at me) are vermin and need control,,,, my dogs help me with that,,, you know,,, keep them in the tree till I get there,,to resettle them

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
trash???

depends on why you hunt,,,, cats (feral,,, so no one get mad at me) are vermin and need control,,,, my dogs help me with that,,, you know,,, keep them in the tree till I get there,,to resettle them
I agree completely about feral cats.

I took it that the cat in question wasn’t feral… perhaps I’m mistaken. In which case I concede your point.

I was basing my trash statement on my experience with my cur treeing the neighbors cat ( I’d really like to resettle that cat) repeatedly and causing me undue frustration in the process of breaking him from treeing cats.

Last edited:

KrisB

Ten Pointer
First step is to get rid of that cat. Cats don’t tree, track, bay or anything else productive. They just lay around and sponge off of you like some progressive liberal.

Next thing is to hustle that taxi cab and save up and get your own place so you can cook what you please and put up fur in the kitchen if you so desire.

If it were me, I’d be bombarding Lowe’s, Home Depot, Grocery stores, or even fast food joints with applications. They’re paying higher hourly wages than some production and manufacturing jobs. Heck for that matter, there are lots of those type jobs paying $16 per hour and up with no experience necessary. Get you one of those type jobs and keep the taxi driver job as extra $$$.

Either that or tell Mommy dearest that she’s just gonna have to deal with dead critters. You were a hunter and trapper when you moved back in and she can get get over it or get bent.
All I can say right now is....Plans are in place for moving out. With the cat. 🙃 Just a question of when exactly.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
to resettle them
@41magnum, may he rest in peace, once told me that because of the law that you can't relocate wildlife from the property they're causing problems at to another property, he would tell people he was doing wildlife damage control for that he was relocating them to his freezer. :D

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
@41magnum, may he rest in peace, once told me that because of the law that you can't relocate wildlife from the property they're causing problems at to another property, he would tell people he was doing wildlife damage control for that he was relocating them to his freezer. :D
Haha yup. God I miss him. I was closer to him than many members of my own family . What some forum folks don’t realize is what a jokester he was in real life.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Haha yup. God I miss him. I was closer to him than many members of my own family . What some forum folks don’t realize is what a jokester he was in real life.
I miss him, too. I didn't know him as well as you, but he was hilarious. The last time I saw him was at the Virginia Trappers' Association convention last fall. He had some trapping supplies for me that I'd ordered from him and he and his wife invited me to sit with them at their vending table and chat with them. I was laughing out loud at his jokes and his wife is so nice. I felt like a real trapper getting to sit with them and talk to them and hang out.

The last time I talked to him on the phone, he and his family were inviting me to go to their place to do a dry run of my first time camping alone adventure. He said I could trap for beaver there, too. I wish I'd known it was the last time I'd be talking to him. There's so much I wish I could say. He was a great trapping mentor and a great human being. Gone way too soon. But I'll always remember the tips and advice he gave me about trapping and always taking time to answer my many questions. {{{{Hugs}}}}

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I miss him, too. I didn't know him as well as you, but he was hilarious. The last time I saw him was at the Virginia Trappers' Association convention last fall. He had some trapping supplies for me that I'd ordered from him and he and his wife invited me to sit with them at their vending table and chat with them. I was laughing out loud at his jokes and his wife is so nice. I felt like a real trapper getting to sit with them and talk to them and hang out.
You are a real trapper. You have a license, you set traps, you catch things in your traps, you skin them out and do things with the hides.