Squirrel Dogs

jgav

Four Pointer
Does anybody in central NC or SC area hunt squirrels with dogs? I have a young pup that is absolutely fired up about chasing squirrels, will trace ground scent to a tree, knows to look up in trees and try and find them, but when we hit the woods we haven't had any luck the last three times or so.

He's also steady and patient enough to lay/sit down at the base of a tree for 20 min or so to watch for movement.

I have access to good land in NC and SC if anybody is interested bringing a dog along and teaching me and the dog the ways.

Any tips or advice or other squirrel dog guys that can assist?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do, but more times than not hunting your dog with another teaches it to become a me-2 dog. Once it starts treeing you hunt it with another dog occasionally to keep it socialized but boot leather as with most pups is the key.

jgav

Four Pointer
I do, but more times than not hunting your dog with another teaches it to become a me-2 dog. Once it starts treeing you hunt it with another dog occasionally to keep it socialized but boot leather as with most pups is the key.

Interesting thought, thanks for sharing that. Will certainly consider. Ton of travel coming up and chasing more fish and ducks than squirrels, but will let yall know how we come out. Open to any other thoughts as people browse the thread.

I've been boot leathering for prob 5 miles each of the last three trips. The dog uses his eyes and his nose to find squirrels and their trees in the park and at home, and will go nuts when he sees them or scents them and will about jump/climb up the tree and whine. I'm just not sure if we're not on them yet in the woods and we just need to keep covering ground or if hes ranging too far and im not there in time or what. Part of me also thinks that they are so obvious in the park/yard that he sees them there and freaks out, but he doesn't realize that in the woods you have to tree fresh scent and then wait at that tree and then we'll glass it together and find joint success (he's just now making that connection with pointing birds). That or there's just too much going on in the woods and hes just rolling around from one scent to the next....

thoughts @nccatfisher?

I'm sure I'm overthinking it and we just need to keep hiking and he'll likely teach me the ways. will keep hiking until we put it together.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You haven't stated the dogs age, or breed. I don't know what you are dealing with, you may have a breed that isn't naturally prone to tree like a JRT. It takes time, and tons of patience. It is just a repetition game just keep putting the pup in situations and areas where there is game and one day it will click.

Just remember you signed on when you got this pup to do your part, you stated you have fish and ducks etc. That pup isn't going to learn in the kennel. It will not spoil but I can tell you they have a window that they will be much easier to start in, a "best used by" date if you will. When I was seriously into these dogs I eat, slept, and drank them. If I had 15 mins to put one in the woods I did. Not only will they learn more if they are out in the woods but every minute you spend with one they bond tighter with you and they want to please you more. A dog that WANTS to do is much more of a pleasure to work than one that just goes through the motions.

One other thing, you have to be prepared for the stark reality that just like all children aren't cut out to be pro athletes, many aren't college athletes either and before the day of participation trophies some didn't even make the local school level. The same goes with dogs, some just don't make the cut they don't have the genes, smarts or the drive to be hunting dog. You have to be prepared to make that decision one day.

AND one day about 40 years from now if you stay in this game you will look back and say dang, I sure had a bunch more when I first started out that didn't make the cut than I do now and it will hit you right between the eyes. When it does it will leave you with a kinda sick feeling to your stomach, you will say, man I wish I had ole so and so back. I bet he would have been a good one if I would have done this different. I know I sure did.

When I first started I was just happy to wind up with one that would tree, and stay treed. I am mine and my dogs worst critic now and am extremely selective in what it takes to suit me. I can't think of many folks that have been in it long as I have that isn't.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just remember you signed on when you got this pup to do your part, you stated you have fish and ducks etc. That pup isn't going to learn in the kennel.

exactly...if you want a dog to learn, you need to give them the time and exposure,,,it doesn't happen one or two days a month,,,heck I don't think one or two days a week are enough,,,

when I was into coon hunting, that is about all I did - because of the dogs
then rabbits,,,the beagles,,,

now this knucklehead and I chase birds,,rabbits,,varmints,,,whatever,,,

realized I was a "versatile hunter" so I needed a versatile dog(s),,,and having a hoot!

jgav

Four Pointer
Thanks for the advice, guys! The pup is a Deutsche Drahthaar that just turned 1 year old. He is an absolute workhorse with an unbelievable prey drive, and luckily a good off switch when at home. Natural ability and time commitment are both certainly there, we train nearly twice a day (in short bursts, with some days off just for being a pup) and we are in the field/woods all the time. He's just a young dog paired up with a rookie fur hunter.

In his first year, so far he has tracked two deer, retrieved doves, a couple ducks, and was outstanding at pointing and retrieving quail. We train A LOT but its amazing how much of it is just pure "out of the box" genetics. He wants to get after fur bearers, but I just haven't done that type of hunting in the past much, so I'm teaching myself as much as him. We are just now getting into the squirrel game, and based on what I've seen, I'm confident we'll put it together in due time. I just need to put in more miles with him, he already gets it from what I can tell, just need to get him more reps in target rich environments.

I'll keep you guys posted. If anybody is out there squirrel (OR RABBIT!!!) hunting and wants another fierce duo out there with them let us know, or if any other good squirrel guys want to come hunt with us and show us the ropes, let me know.

Thanks for chiming in.

Don't you have a Draht woodmoose?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the advice, guys! The pup is a Deutsche Drahthaar that just turned 1 year old. He is an absolute workhorse with an unbelievable prey drive, and luckily a good off switch when at home. Natural ability and time commitment are both certainly there, we train nearly twice a day (in short bursts, with some days off just for being a pup) and we are in the field/woods all the time. He's just a young dog paired up with a rookie fur hunter.

In his first year, so far he has tracked two deer, retrieved doves, a couple ducks, and was outstanding at pointing and retrieving quail. We train A LOT but its amazing how much of it is just pure "out of the box" genetics. He wants to get after fur bearers, but I just haven't done that type of hunting in the past much, so I'm teaching myself as much as him. We are just now getting into the squirrel game, and based on what I've seen, I'm confident we'll put it together in due time. I just need to put in more miles with him, he already gets it from what I can tell, just need to get him more reps in target rich environments.

I'll keep you guys posted. If anybody is out there squirrel (OR RABBIT!!!) hunting and wants another fierce duo out there with them let us know, or if any other good squirrel guys want to come hunt with us and show us the ropes, let me know.

Thanks for chiming in.

Don't you have a Draht woodmoose?
OK, you are out of my wheelhouse with these dogs. I have heard about them as treedogs but have absolutely no experience with them.

Yes Woodmoose has a Draht.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
My experience with a GWP is that you need to shoot a couple squirrels out of trees with them...That was true with Sharptail grouse as well...I spent a day in North Dakota wiht him alternatively trying to get a badger, killing a cat, before I walked up a grouse that I shot, THEN he started to put it together and hunt for Grouse. My personal opinion is that even the ones judged loud aren't loud enough to be great tree dogs, compared to a feist or whatever, but keep your eye out and he'll put some up the tree for you.

The dogs are always hunting, you just have to channel it. Mine killed a coon opener of duck season while I was setting out decoys...I didn't see it, called him back (had to shock him to come back in retrospect I know he was still dispatching it), and it wasn't until I was about ready to pick up that he ran back and retrieved it to me.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^^^^^ That’s why I had to defer to someone that is more familiar with these types of dogs. Shooting out game that they don’t tree for most breeds is an absolute no no. Best way in the world to get them to stand under the tree but not say a word. But that is hounds, feist and curs I am talking of.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Rabbits they handle a bit more like birds...at least til they bolt them...don’t know if it’s good or bad but if the dog bolts the rabbit it typically the rabbit throws the dog and the dog overruns the rabbit and while the dog is reacquiring the scent the rabbit doubles back and you’ll get a shot...

Attachments

• 4A857C02-5B77-4654-8D78-786858BF1A56.jpeg
    4A857C02-5B77-4654-8D78-786858BF1A56.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 18

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Rabbits they handle a bit more like birds...at least til they bolt them...don’t know if it’s good or bad but if the dog bolts the rabbit it typically the rabbit throws the dog and the dog overruns the rabbit and while the dog is reacquiring the scent the rabbit doubles back and you’ll get a shot...

Beautiful dog..beautiful pose!!