Springer pellet gun squirrel

genbud78

Ten Pointer
Anybody ever use a spring pellet gun for squirrels? I have a Ruger Blackhawk Elite that shoots between 1000-1200 FPS, depending on the pellet. I'm not a big squirrel hunter but my brother wants some to eat so I told him I'd kill a few that have been fattened up on corn they ate during deer season. No corn left but squirrels should still be around the oak flats. Thoughts on the spring pellet gun? I also have a 22mag and jsp rounds. I think the HP rounds in the 22mag may do way to much damage but ought to be able to make headshots if the boogers will be still for a few seconds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you stick to head shots only you will be fine, you do any body shots many times they will drag off to holes where with a rimfire the extra shock power with get them. I have a .25 cal PCP and they will even absorb a body shot and make it to a hole. They are tough little turds.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I went yesterday and dangit if my springers scope somehow got knocked and was off. Missed the first 2 chip shots then checked my scope..off by a few inches where it was freaking dead on before. Glad I brought my Contender in 22 and shot one at maybe 40 yards with it. Going to re site springer this week and do some more hunting with it. will have a video on yesterday in 2 weeks. Maybe.

Last edited:

genbud78

Ten Pointer
If you stick to head shots only you will be fine, you do any body shots many times they will drag off to holes where with a rimfire the extra shock power with get them. I have a .25 cal PCP and they will even absorb a body shot and make it to a hole. They are tough little turds.
Good to know. Mine is the 177. I sighted it in today and can shoot quarter sized groups at 25 yards with it. The squirrels on my lease don't seem overly concerned with me walking around so I should be able to get that close. Guess I could carry both the pellet gun and 22mag.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I went yesterday and dangit if my springs scope somehow got knocked and was off. Missed the first 2 then checked my scope..off by a few inches where it was freaking dead on before. Glad i brought my Contender in 22 and shot one at maybe 40 yards with it. Going to re site springer this week and do some more hunting with it. will have a video on it in 2 weeks. Maybe.
Look forward to seeing the video. Most I've seen were kids playing around on YouTube but limited info about the effectiveness of the pellet gun

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Look forward to seeing the video. Most I've seen were kids playing around on YouTube but limited info about the effectiveness of the pellet gun

Dang scope was low so I shot under on both shots. OH well, I knew it would be a funny day as I suspected I would see deer squirrel hunting and I did. Right after I missed twice 4 deer came up within 5 yards of the stand I was in. Think I deer hunted 4 times(maybe 5) and saw ZERO deer. just my luck.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dang scope was low so I shot under on both shots. OH well, I knew it would be a funny day as I suspected I would see deer squirrel hunting and I did. Right after I missed twice 4 deer came up within 5 yards of the stand I was in. Think I deer hunted 4 times(maybe 5) and saw ZERO deer. just my luck.

that happens to every deer stand after Jan 1

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I went yesterday and dangit if my springers scope somehow got knocked and was off. Missed the first 2 chip shots then checked my scope..off by a few inches where it was freaking dead on before. Glad I brought my Contender in 22 and shot one at maybe 40 yards with it. Going to re site springer this week and do some more hunting with it. will have a video on yesterday in 2 weeks. Maybe.
Your scope may have succombed to "springeritis" I have had a many a one die to it that were supposedly made for it. And they give absolutely no warning. The bad thing you can sight them back in many times and think they are fine and pick them up a week later and be off again.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good to know. Mine is the 177. I sighted it in today and can shoot quarter sized groups at 25 yards with it. The squirrels on my lease don't seem overly concerned with me walking around so I should be able to get that close. Guess I could carry both the pellet gun and 22mag.

If you use that .22 mag pay attention when you skin them. Every one I used to skin years ago when I would shoot them in the head that was sideways to me would have it's back broken right between it's shoulders. I guess the energy when it hit just snapped the spinal column, they are bad little dudes.

genbud78

Ten Pointer

That's how it always seems to go. Walking around looking for squirrels will give me some time on this new lease to see where deer are moving. They didn't move much around our stands in late season but had pics everyday when I wasn't there

genbud78

Ten Pointer

If you use that .22 mag pay attention when you skin them. Every one I used to skin years ago when I would shoot them in the head that was sideways to me would have it's back broken right between it's shoulders. I guess the energy when it hit just snapped the spinal column, they are bad little dudes.
I'll keep that in mind. Been a long time since I shot a squirrel. I bought this 22mag when I was in the service. Probably doesn't have 100rds through it but it's a nice gun. Marlin 25mn

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll keep that in mind. Been a long time since I shot a squirrel. I bought this 22mag when I was in the service. Probably doesn't have 100rds through it but it's a nice gun. Marlin 25mn

They are excellent little rifles.

genbud78

Ten Pointer

They are excellent little rifles.
I like it alot. Has the wood stock and all. Doesn't even have any scars in it but I've had it for probably 18 years. I bought it at BPS when I was home on leave early in my Air Force days

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
CCI makes a 27 grain 22 short that is what I use on squirrels. Will group close as a long rifle round and all you need for small game. They are as quiet as a pellet gun... 1105 fps range, and at your local Cabalas & sporting stores. I have used them for years and will drop a squirrel, and all you need for woods hunting. I use a Winchester 69A with a 5 round clip...just carry 2 clips one loaded with 22lr and one with the shorts. Have to be prepared for those bigger critters that may attack you.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We usually kill a fair amount of squirrels with springer pellet guns every year with both .177 and .22 cal guns. Pellet weight is a big factor in knockdown power, especially in the .177 guns. I like pellets that are 9 or 10 grains for .177. You might have to try 3 or 4 different brands to find a heavy pellet that your gun will group well with, but when you get it dialed in it's like hitting them with a brick.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
CCI makes a 27 grain 22 short that is what I use on squirrels. Will group close as a long rifle round and all you need for small game. They are as quiet as a pellet gun... 1105 fps range, and at your local Cabalas & sporting stores. I have used them for years and will drop a squirrel, and all you need for woods hunting. I use a Winchester 69A with a 5 round clip...just carry 2 clips one loaded with 22lr and one with the shorts. Have to be prepared for those bigger critters that may attack you.
Either your rifle sucks at grouping long rifles or you have a unicorn for grouping shorts. I have never seen a rifle that would group shorts what I called acceptable, but if they wouldn't shoot five in a dime at 40 yds I won't have them either.

Fwawa20

Button Buck
This a springer hunt I had on my family’s farm a year or two ago. Head shots are the way to go but body shots can work but I’d much rather hit them in the fuse box. With my spring guns I usually keep shots 40yds and in. With my pcp I’ll take shots way out there if I can’t stalk in any closer in the later months.953524DB-1765-4E05-83E9-97D0AEA12762.jpeg

genbud78

Ten Pointer
This a springer hunt I had on my family’s farm a year or two ago. Head shots are the way to go but body shots can work but I’d much rather hit them in the fuse box. With my spring guns I usually keep shots 40yds and in. With my pcp I’ll take shots way out there if I can’t stalk in any closer in the later months.View attachment 24307
I assume they are dead immediately with those kind of shots? I'm going to give mine a whirl soon and see how it goes.

Fwawa20

Button Buck
I assume they are dead immediately with those kind of shots? I'm going to give mine a whirl soon and see how it goes.

Yeah they sometimes do the death dance but it’s just nerves firing off. I saw the same thing with some shots from a .22lr. I enjoy squirrel hunting with the air rifles a lot and it’s addicting. Like others have said get some heavier pellets as they will most likely be more accurate bc speed isn’t the best thing in an air rifle as far as accuracy goes. Since your rifle is .177 the id look for 10gr pellets. Jsb is a great brand and H&N is another. Wally World crosmans usually can’t keep up with a quality domed pellet. Accuracy is everything when it comes to air rifles.

genbud78

Ten Pointer

Yeah they sometimes do the death dance but it’s just nerves firing off. I saw the same thing with some shots from a .22lr. I enjoy squirrel hunting with the air rifles a lot and it’s addicting. Like others have said get some heavier pellets as they will most likely be more accurate bc speed isn’t the best thing in an air rifle as far as accuracy goes. Since your rifle is .177 the id look for 10gr pellets. Jsb is a great brand and H&N is another. Wally World crosmans usually can’t keep up with a quality domed pellet. Accuracy is everything when it comes to air rifles.
I'll look for some of those. I have several different kinds around 7.9gr. I can shoot a nickel sized group with the Gamo Fire pellets. I travel a good bit for work so I'll stop and look at the outdoor stores around to see if I can find larger grain pellets

genbud78

Ten Pointer
see if I can find larger grain pellets

mail order is your friend for good, heavy pellets,,,at least that's how I get them,,gave up finding variety in a store whether local or on my travels
I'll start looking now then. Not sure when I'll get to head out to the woods so I may as well get a few different kinds to see how they do. Appreciate it

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Either your rifle sucks at grouping long rifles or you have a unicorn for grouping shorts. I have never seen a rifle that would group shorts what I called acceptable, but if they wouldn't shoot five in a dime at 40 yds I won't have them either.
Won't shoot 5 in a dime, but will probably put 5 in a quarter which is about as good as I can do. Size of a squirrel head is what...2-3 quarters....good enough for me most days.

maz

Button Buck
I've been killing squirrels with my Gamo Whisper Quiet pellet gun. Towards the end of the deer season I had both a rifle and my air rifle with me shooting squirrels while they were on the corn pile.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I've been killing squirrels with my Gamo Whisper Quiet pellet gun. Towards the end of the deer season I had both a rifle and my air rifle with me shooting squirrels while they were on the corn pile.
I meant to do that but forgot to take my pellet gun the last day.