Spring Turkey Camp 4/28-5/1

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
Stayed behind them all day. Should have started earlier. This ol fat flat lander is pooped after 4 days. Average was 9 miles. But today did me in. Stupid turkeys.
Way to go. Very good for a "fat flat lander" not sure I would get 1/3 of that..... Btw, what app is that?

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Can’t complain too bad. Had one fired up and ready on the road I was on 100-125 yards at most on Friday. Scrambled like heck as high as I could get just in case but only made it about 30 yards. I needed to use my hands it was so steep but couldn’t for the poison ivy. Sat down and pushed my foot against a rock to hold me. Might have made it but the ants I sat it were feasting on me. One of the many up my pant legs kept hitting a nerve that made my muscle twitch. I slid a few inches each time it did and the lower I went the less pressure was on the foot holding me up. Meanwhile this stupid smart gobbler ran up the ridge and circled down behind me maybe 20 yards at most. He cut that distance in half still where I couldn’t make a swing. Hearing him hung up right on top of me was hell. He walked off and I had enough ants and tried to move. As you’d guess that ended up with me sliding about 20 feet on my face, since I made the turn, and putt putt putt gone.

And that kids is why I shoot ambidextrous thumbhole stocks. Should’ve sat down and switched shoulders just in case, but heck he was right in front of me on the same road…

@apphunter has a saying that applies here, “ :donk:donk:donk:donk turkeys “.

Last edited:

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Oh and I’m sick and tired of us having to back up while telling a story that mentions “Logan”. Y’all three gonna have to get nicknames. Just one rule, you can’t pick ‘em.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
84B4DBBD-A81E-4554-952B-D04349038C54.jpegEFBD50C5-FD11-4A46-BD31-6C3D783E81EB.jpegF7846A6A-808E-4D65-B01E-799CDD759C69.jpegHad a blast! Count it as a success in my book(y) Picked a spot on the map, got to it and found turkeys, but I only got to hunt one day. If the weather cooperates I might just sleep at the gate Fri night for closing day……

But dang at the hog sign…had hog tracks in my boot tracks…rotorooters had the place tore up!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just a bit of FYI some may be interested in..............definitely off-topic for a turkey thread!

For several years the Park Service (Smokies) trapped wild boar and turned them loose on NF lands around there.
Those are probably wild boar of the razorback variety.

They're not pure strains of wild boar because generations ago the mountaineers turned their domestic hogs loose to forage in the woods until Fall roundup!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I saw one of those rascals that somebody had in a pen back in the early 70s. It had curley black hair on the sides and bristles on the neck, back ad shoulders that were probably 4-5 in. long. The thing stood well over 3 feet at the hump on his shoulders and had tusks like an Old Hickory butcher knife.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^ Some of that old imported European stock sounds like. NC, or North America for that matter, ever had any native hogs.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
No turkeys were harmed.

I caught two little trout and turned them back. Keith caught a couple by camp.

found more hog sign than deer and turkeys combined.
No turkeys seen on my Saturday hunt. A good bit of scratch sign in one area, a dust pit. Only got 4.5miles in.
I caught 1 Brook trout and 3 Rainbows on the Nantahala by Loop 1.
Oh and I forgot to add. I broke my Temple Fork Fly Rod at camp :mad:. (Lesson Learned: :mek: dunce, Cant close the tailgate on your fishing rod)
I didn't have a second fly rod with me, so I grabbed the wild trout spinning rod, and caught those fish where a couple of Fly Fisherman had not caught anything. Single hook, white Rooster tail was the ticket.

Last edited:

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
@TobyScreams put me thru the paces on Thursday. Over 9 miles, saw T-sign, grouse, 1 running hen, a 6 pack of Horses and riders.
The trail was so narrow, we had to lay back on the on the bank to let them pass. The lead rider said "talk to us, so the horses don't get spooked think ya'll are a bear or something" Toby said to me: "We said 'Hey' !
My legs felt like i was wearing cinder blocks for shoes by the end. I would have liked for us to have gotten a lift out on those horses, but they were headed down the way we came.
It was fun. I did get better at my trail walking.
1. Change out partners for Toby ( see above milage)! :ROFLMAO:
2. Walk a shorter distance. Partnered up with @Loganwayne. We got in about 2+ miles and I decided to set up a sitting/listening spot.
Took me a short nap.:sleep: LW went on up/down/up/down the trail a ways. I did 4.5 miles that day.
3. Walk a shorter distanced again on Saturday. About 4.5 miles. Was back at camp by 11:00, ate lunch, showered up. Put on shorts, wading socks and boots and hit the stream :fishing:. That water was so cold my feet felt numb, but it soothed those aching feet.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Also "Lineman Logan"
Oh lord. Well it could be worse. We didn’t have as big a weekend as we liked. First time to state and it overwhelmed our little pack of 6th graders. Still took 3rd overall archery and trap but it was a kick in the butt. We finished 9 points out of overall teams. So technically 4th overall and if we could have shot our normal scores we would have crushed everyone but 11 and 12 year old kids can be shook up a bit lol.

Last edited:

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I start my hike training the beginning of the season. (Way to late), each time i go, i dont have to stop as many time on the inclines.😅 heck i have lost about 10# since the start of the season.
I also learn that being lazy, out of the tent at 4am and 34° , not wanting to take toff the lite weeight thermal i wore to bed sucks at about 3/4 mile in. I could shed all the shirt layers but thos lite weight pants, I suffered thru till back at the truck.

I love being outdoors early in the morning, before daylight camo'd up, toting a gun and listening to the woods wake up.
Just might not get the right response if i did it in downtown Lincolnton or on the Catawba River Greenway in Morganton. I might get some wierd looks. 🤣🤯

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Lots of ground covered. Seems like everyone was in turkey sign and found hens but the woods were silent.
Let me look through some cards. I have a picture of the buck that head gear belongs too. Oh and I know exactly where you took the picture of Nantahala lake at lol

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Let me look through some cards. I have a picture of the buck that head gear belongs too. Oh and I know exactly where you took the picture of Nantahala lake at lol
I would bet that buck isn’t the one you thinking of. Honestly found it 150 yards off the road.
If you hiked where I did to take that picture you can go back I’ll find somewhere else to go lol