Spring Turkey Camp 4/28-5/1

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Just fell down the .410 rabbit hole!!! Stopped by local store and he had one of those Rossi Turkey 410s for $199. I said WTH!! I bought it. It’s for my daughter 😉

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!! Now to find some TSS. I got a box of Winchester turkey loads just to mess around with.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I wouldn't mind myself just gonna be tough now that I am working at an Ag chemical retailer and have a 2 youngins under 3.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have shotgun will travel.. but I also have two kids graduating this spring so when will make all the difference.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Just fell down the .410 rabbit hole!!! Stopped by local store and he had one of those Rossi Turkey 410s for $199. I said WTH!! I bought it. It’s for my daughter 😉

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!! Now to find some TSS. I got a box of Winchester turkey loads just to mess around with.
Places to look are midway, rogers, apex site natchez also nitro company. Between all those you should be able find some but I'd get em soon as soon as calender year turns people start looking

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor

mackspw.com has been pretty good about having .410 TSS in stock.

I've been able to get Browning and Apex TSS there. In my experience in the guns (only 2) that I have shot them out of, Federal TSS is not very good, the Browning patterns surprisingly well, and the Apex Turkey Ninja just a hair better...but both are very good and head and shoulders above Federal.

This is a small sample set, but I have heard others echo the lesser performance of the Federal loads.

When comparing apex to the other companies, keep in mind their 410 comes 10 to a box

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
mackspw.com has been pretty good about having .410 TSS in stock.

I've been able to get Browning and Apex TSS there. In my experience in the guns (only 2) that I have shot them out of, Federal TSS is not very good, the Browning patterns surprisingly well, and the Apex Turkey Ninja just a hair better...but both are very good and head and shoulders above Federal.

This is a small sample set, but I have heard others echo the lesser performance of the Federal loads.

When comparing apex to the other companies, keep in mind their 410 comes 10 to a box
^ This

Federal seems to have a problem with their wadding design in my experience. The Apex ninja series shells outperformed all the loads I tested last year.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
How bout we all hunt some fresh ground and try the nantahala?
I'd be up for that. The area we were at in Pisgah wouldn't be ideal spot for turkey season its eastern most part ntnl forest closest drive from so much population get a lots spring pressure. Nantahala or more west Pisgah sound like good plan I'd even entertained south mtn but camping spots not big there and right on rd has birds though.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've only killed one turkey in my limited time of trying. I walked across the road from the house and into the woods did my best call with a synthetic slate. Called in a Jake and pulled the trigger on my all black maverick 88 fitted with a heavy shot choke tube and the rounds that go with it. (most of this from the local walmarts) Looking forward to the harassment ill get, showing up with the same setup where ever it may be. This talk of the western part of the state has me excited.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I've only killed one turkey in my limited time of trying. I walked across the road from the house and into the woods did my best call with a synthetic slate. Called in a Jake and pulled the trigger on my all black maverick 88 fitted with a heavy shot choke tube and the rounds that go with it. (most of this from the local walmarts) Looking forward to the harassment ill get, showing up with the same setup where ever it may be. This talk of the western part of the state has me excited.
There likely will be zero harassment I'm a basic hunter no new and fancy stuff except for nice choke and shells I'll kill one with a Wal-Mart call same as a custom if he is in mood to die he will come to either

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Ah the Nantahala…. Land of the noonday sun. I could give up my past pins.. but that would take a lot of the fun out of it!

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I ain’t no turkey hunter so I’m down for whatever and whenever.

Heck, I might even just trout fish while the rest of y’all chase those wannabe buzzards 🤣
All welcome here, lots of land but if not walking in miles you need a bit of mountain goat for some.

I’m with you, never killed a bird but I’ll be harassing some trout like always. I could’ve taken one my first year here with an in-line but walking up on a flock in the trail seemed like not the way to kill my first.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
It ain't no worse than Pisgah for most part but less pressure. Its shame Caswell is 3 day week area nice campground and plenty ground to roam woulda made ideal spot not to steep I like them woods down there
I know just most folks think Nantahala, they think the gorge. Ain’t a turkey alive worth that hole😂

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Dang y’all coulda picked a steeper place😂
Well come on then, only downside, no spring bear season, lots and lots of big bears that will be emerging hungry about then. Fishers too but only had them challenge me 2x. Wife had a wayward turkey calling from up in the estates not long ago. Her attempt at a call on slate was awful, turkey loved it. My perfect calls,,, ignored. Think they had some girl talk or something going on.

Oh if it’s a warm spring bring snake boots lol. We call it rattlesnake run for a reason.

4CB82B2A-E699-4F9C-BD2F-47C8B0A7BC35.jpegF076E3D4-3F3E-4309-99CA-E8B33A7ACABA.jpegE0F56D17-8EDF-40EB-8A68-288324E7FE59.jpegEBDC79E2-6FC0-43A0-8DC2-5ACE1DBE5F05.jpeg

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Those loose rock chutes are lots of excitement. Boulders the size of my super duty hood break loose and I’m thanking the good Lord I’m on their top side to jump free. Makes quite a racket too.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
All seriousness we can fit maybe 10 but if y’all don’t mind extra cozy or sleeping bags/cots more than that. With all the roads on both sides of the valley you could all walk a day and not see each other. Think straight line from closest parking to the falls is 6-7 miles. Forget how many acres but lots. Our side goes steep faster but roads all over along gorge.

Last edited: