Spring Turkey Camp 4/28-5/1

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Trying to nail down this hunt is complicated by hunting that week with a friend in an area that’s close-ish. I would book my site but I’m trying to work that hunt out also.

My new, super active lifestyle is hard on a fat boy. But I wanted @appmtnhntr to know I’ve secured new foot wear. It seems I like to fish (and hunt!?!?) in chacos. Thanks a lot, jackass lol. 🩴🩴 Next thing you know I’ll hit up rei and go to the drum circle.😆
I bought the Chacos also in Feb From REI. I have only worn then a couple times. I dont know about fishing in the creeks and rivers up at Standing Indian, I think the water will still be quite cold or hunting in them, But they will be my travel & camp shoes.

Last edited:

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I “wet” wade for smallies in the new river in Virginia. I think they’ll be good for that too. I’ll try to hunt some hot days in them. I think I’d love it except mosquitoes and poison ivy.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Trying to nail down this hunt is complicated by hunting that week with a friend in an area that’s close-ish. I would book my site but I’m trying to work that hunt out also.

My new, super active lifestyle is hard on a fat boy. But I wanted @appmtnhntr to know I’ve secured new foot wear. It seems I like to fish (and hunt!?!?) in chacos. Thanks a lot, jackass lol. 🩴🩴 Next thing you know I’ll hit up rei and go to the drum circle.😆
Glad you’ve come over to the dark side. There’s hardly a better shoe for fishing and everyday wear. You’d have better luck finding me at Hilman or Green Man than at the drum circle or REI!

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I “wet” wade for smallies in the new river in Virginia. I think they’ll be good for that too. I’ll try to hunt some hot days in them. I think I’d love it except mosquitoes and poison ivy.
A few years ago, the wife and I camped on Big Snowbird creek, Robbinsville, end of May, for some trout fishing. We were in shorts, wading boots and wading socks. water was so cold, legs were stinging. When we came out of the water, red dots everywhere..

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I bought the Chacos also in Feb From REI. I have only worn then a couple times. I dont know about fishing in the creeks and rivers up at Standing Indian, I think the water will still be quite cold or hunting in them, But they will be my travel & camp shoes.
Per the @appmtnhntr official specs…you’ve got a green light for the chacos down to either 50 or 40 degrees. I can’t remember which. But that dude has tough feet. I once hunted in a spot after him and the briars voluntarily withered up and died after he come thru

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Standing Indian Mountain elevation 5499'. Heck yeah, those trout streams are COLD!🥶 The Campground is in a valley, but even in latter April you might need some warm clothes @ night.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Saw a big gobbler all by his lonesome way up in northern Jackson last Saturday. Planning on at least driving down for one night/day, have yet to make it down that way to tromp around.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Per the @appmtnhntr official specs…you’ve got a green light for the chacos down to either 50 or 40 degrees. I can’t remember which. But that dude has tough feet. I once hunted in a spot after him and the briars voluntarily withered up and died after he come thru
My dad said growing up that “I killed so much stuff, even the leaves would curl up and die when he walks by.”

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I have a question about Snake boots vs Snake Gaiters ( Also about stealth and sneakability for these).
I currently have a pair of Rocky Snake boots, Zippers on the inside of legs. They rise to just below the knee and flair a little as they rise.
Over the few years i have had these, and the way I walk when trying to by sneaky quiet, the zippers tend to brush together making noise.
FYI i am somewhat bow-legged and still this does not help.
I don't really want to shell out another $140-$200, (they do leak a little.) but will if its the best option.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have a question about Snake boots vs Snake Gaiters ( Also about stealth and sneakability for these).
I currently have a pair of Rocky Snake boots, Zippers on the inside of legs. They rise to just below the knee and flair a little as they rise.
Over the few years i have had these, and the way I walk when trying to by sneaky quiet, the zippers tend to brush together making noise.
I don't really want to shell out another $140-$200, (they do leak a little.) but will if its the best option.
I'd stick with what I got and just watch where I step snake encounters up there are rare as long as you watch your self as far as leaking all rockys do that but I still wear a pair just because their wide fits my big foot good. As far as that little bit noise its not likely matter if your that close to him for it to make diff you'd better be set back against tree gun on knee

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
It’s so steep you’re more likely to get bit in the face than the feet.

Of all the snakes I’ve ever dealt with in the mountains, my hands and head are the first thing they see.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
40* is my benchmark unless it’s turkey or early deer season and I know it’s gonna warm up.
Wetsox and wadersox are a game changer.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
40* is my benchmark unless it’s turkey or early deer season and I know it’s gonna warm up.
Wetsox and wadersox are a game changer.
Ten four. I thought about changing your contact info in my phone to Trenchfoot but that would be more of an implication your feet are rotten and not necessarily tough 😔

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
So I just got my new turkey vest from Mack's Praire Wings. An Alps Grand slam. Sit Anywhere. I like it. Specific pockets for different calls.

Attachments

• 20220324_150459.jpg
    20220324_150459.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220324_150509.jpg
    20220324_150509.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220324_160139.jpg
    20220324_160139.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 15

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Yes! Been staring at waypoints and old gps pins. Still don’t know where to go exactly or where ill camp. I’ll have a gun, a call, a bed, and some food. Might just have figure the rest out in the fly. I’m a planner so it’s bothering me more than it should.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Yeah…. I’ve got two groups to hook up with that week and both are the “well, you know” types. I can’t plan for y’all. So I’ve nailed this down as far as I’m going.

The plan:
1. bring food, water, shelter, gun, and calls
2. Eat food, drink water, sleep in shelter, carry gun, use calls
3. educate birds while simultaneously getting lost and feeding bugs
4. Finally find my way out
5. Repeat steps 2-5 until broke, satisfied, or otherwise guilted to happily succumb to the (N) ever imposing will of my wife, or the season ends

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Bumping this to the top again. We are just over two weeks out.

I may be coming up in the afternoon of the 28th instead of the 29th.

From the looks of it most of you guys will be tagged out by then!!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well fellers, I’m not going to be able to attend. We had a couple unexpected retirements yesterday. One feller was set to retire towards the end of May, and he was rushed into emergency open heart surgery Saturday night, so his retirement has been fast tracked. Another feller was set to retire in June and his wife’s cancer has returned in a big way. She’s in for some extremely high dose radiation and chemo starting Monday, so he decided to take his vacation and sick days now and go ahead and retire. They’re both on the same On Call rotation, and I drew one of the short straws to cover they’re on call. So I’ll be on call that weekend.

Y’all have a cocktail or five for me and kill some birds!

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Ok so I got a question that I’m sure I’ll receive some flack for but hey, I can take it… I’m no turkey hunter but I do enjoy trying. Are the turkeys vocal that late in the season? I’m sure they will be call shy but is the later part of the season just as effective? Deer hunting I feel just as confident on Jan 1 as I do the first day of bow season but when it comes to turkeys I’m a novice. Thanks

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Ok so I got a question that I’m sure I’ll receive some flack for but hey, I can take it… I’m no turkey hunter but I do enjoy trying. Are the turkeys vocal that late in the season? I’m sure they will be call shy but is the later part of the season just as effective? Deer hunting I feel just as confident on Jan 1 as I do the first day of bow season but when it comes to turkeys I’m a novice. Thanks
I’d go for it if you can make it. There’s a lot of really cool guys that should be there which will make it worth it in itself. And heck the gobbling shouldn’t be any worse than it’s been thus far.