Spring/Summer Weather Thread

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Hope that cell doesnt produce a tornado worst rotation is going right over High Point....nevermind getting debris signatures on radar people need to assume this is a large damaging tornado on the ground right now between High Point and Archdale.....

np307

Ten Pointer
I'm in Thomasville and the storm rolled in pretty good here. Still windy and raining/thundering. First wave of wind that rolled through was wild. Wind direction has shifted too.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
The blue dot just west of Archdale is a TDS, this is the radar reflecting off debris and almost certainly confirms a tornado was and possibly still is on the ground....this image is old the tornado would be just south of Jamestown now....

IMG_20210318_170053.jpg

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Pic from the tor warned storm in south Charlotte, obvious low hanging wall cloud could produce tornado at any time....

Attachments

• EwykKtxXMAkDJW1.jpeg
    EwykKtxXMAkDJW1.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 27

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Sure looks like the storm is cycling and maybe trying to drop a tornado again this time right in Greensboro proper...

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
The blue dot just west of Archdale is a TDS, this is the radar reflecting off debris and almost certainly confirms a tornado was and possibly still is on the ground....this image is old the tornado would be just south of Jamestown now....

View attachment 63011
Can you explain/ add a legend to this? Why does that blue indicate a tornado and not the other blue spots or the deep red?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Can you explain/ add a legend to this? Why does that blue indicate a tornado and not the other blue spots or the deep red?

This radar mode looks at size and makeup of raindrops.....its is usually used to see where rain/sleet/snow lines are......the scattered look you see south of all of that is clear air probably....so when the radar starts bouncing off stuff like leaves, trees, doors, roofs etc it "drop outs" of range ( usually is red or orange when showing hydrometers ) thus when there is a CC drop it means the radar is seeing large debris.....so when you have a tight velocity couplet ( radar indicated tornado ) and then a CC drop co locates with that couplet its a damn good indication that there is a tornado on the ground eating stuff and throwing it thousands of feet up where its scanned by radar......in the worst tornados they can track the debris to 20-30k ft up....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
That cell still has strong rotations in it and can and will still produce tornados to the NE of the Triad......this is the storm attached to the warm front itself and wont stop till it runs over the front in southern Va.....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Per Fox8:

18 wheelers on their side on 40/85 near Burlington
Structural damage, roofs off in High Point near South Main & 85

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
This radar mode looks at size and makeup of raindrops.....its is usually used to see where rain/sleet/snow lines are......the scattered look you see south of all of that is clear air probably....so when the radar starts bouncing off stuff like leaves, trees, doors, roofs etc it "drop outs" of range ( usually is red or orange when showing hydrometers ) thus when there is a CC drop it means the radar is seeing large debris.....so when you have a tight velocity couplet ( radar indicated tornado ) and then a CC drop co locates with that couplet its a damn good indication that there is a tornado on the ground eating stuff and throwing it thousands of feet up where its scanned by radar......in the worst tornados they can track the debris to 20-30k ft up....

Thanks! I seen dark red and threw me off!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Raleigh's gonna get some rain. Good thing we closed schools and businesses today!!!! :rolleyes:

not a thing here,,, clouds,,, thought i might have heard thunder way off about 7

bragg about the same - bet they are glad they closed - biden policies strengthening their ability to endure bad weather

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
It seems like a lot of storm fronts split when approaching from the west near RDU airport.

All the weather nerds call that the wake county split.

Dynamics were stout and where the storms were rough they produced the weather advertised they would. The killer for the forecaster is the coverage of storms was far less than they thought it would be which was a very good thing. Still likely had 4 to 5 tornados yesterday based on damage reports.

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Guess I'll go out into the yard and do some clean up. How does one pick up rain drops? :rolleyes:

I wonder when Orange county will finally close businesses and schools because bright sunshine can cause migraines?
You're not supposed to be outside anyway...because the COVID

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Rain, wind and a couple flurries here. Had to come inside and put more clothes on. Wind chill is a little more than I was expecting. Wasn’t bad until about noon.

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
Had marble sized hail at 730am for about 10 min 5 MI SE of Greenville this morning. No damage. Came during heavy rain and thunder.