Spring/Summer Weather Thread

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Some decent cold fronts on tap, was up in the mts this past week and starting to see some sign of color in a few trees, was getting into the mid 50's at night, that looks to spread out over the entire state a few times in the coming weeks, should be great for the bow hunters. Still though Oct is when we usually see a end to 90 degree type weather so dont be surprised to see a few hot days still.....tropics look busy but the big cold fronts would tend to keep the storms OTS approaching from the east, so we start watching the south as most of the bigger Oct storms come from the Caribbean a la Hazel, Matthew etc

1631975112373.png

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Well we’ve enjoyed a nice little dry spell but looks like that will end tomorrow and Wednesday. Looks to be another freaking flood coming. I hope not, but this is central nc, the Seattle of the East coast. I was hoping we could make it to about Christmas without another drop of rain lol this will likely screw all of our lakes and rivers up for the 1000000000000000th time in the past 4 years.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Going to be flirting with upper 40's....also the cold front ushering in this first taste of fall might have some severe storms with it Wed night into Thurs....

1632197319259.png

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well we’ve enjoyed a nice little dry spell but looks like that will end tomorrow and Wednesday. Looks to be another freaking flood coming. I hope not, but this is central nc, the Seattle of the East coast. I was hoping we could make it to about Christmas without another drop of rain lol this will likely screw all of our lakes and rivers up for the 1000000000000000th time in the past 4 years.
I’m not sure where you are, but we need some rain in central NC….. as long as it comes slow and steady like the radar looks right now……. I don’t see any river or lake issues…… ground is dry as a bone

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Well for one thing….for the folks over seeding their lawns……it’s go time! The night time temps and cooler days are what your looking for! Soil temps should start dropping a few marks as well!

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I’m not sure where you are, but we need some rain in central NC….. as long as it comes slow and steady like the radar looks right now……. I don’t see any river or lake issues…… ground is dry as a bone

Greensboro. The past month or so is the first time we’ve gone without a major rain event in 4 years. The lakes are actually a little low right now for the first time in the same amount of time. We’ve had more rain than almost anywhere else in the world in that timeframe as had most of North Carolina. I keep hoping that it is just a cycle but I’m starting to think it’s just the new normal for North Carolina. I am all for slow and steady rain events but gosh almighty I am so tired of torrential floods.

Last edited:

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
This is a bit troubling from the Euro ensembles......showing a cane in the Leewards and most are still showing a WNW to NW track, if it threads the needle between cold fronts the SE could be open to a hit.....

us_cyclone-en-087-0_euro_2021092100_15844_481_240.png

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Is this line of storms not going to make any northern movement? Seems to be following the same exact tract up through the Sandhills.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is gradually easing eastward. Just started sprinkling in Orange between Hillsborough and Mebane. It is moving slow so once it starts, it will likely be there a while.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Is this line of storms not going to make any northern movement? Seems to be following the same exact tract up through the Sandhills.

yep we call these setup firehoses, it will slowly pivot more north to south if the models have it right but it will also wind down as the day wanes.....

Also on the tropical front the Euro still insist there will be a large strong hurricane deep in the SW Atl, below is the latest run and last frame plot of the storm, at this point its still moving WNW at a good clip and looks to for sure be a Bahama problem ( assuming this storm actually is here in 10 days ) after that the upper level pattern is problematic for the SE.....cane season does not end till Nov, and the last several to many seasons have seen rather active Octobers so we are not out of the woods on that front yet, though it becomes harder for storms to get to the US as fall cold fronts start blasting into the US....

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2021092112_240_1454_149.png

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Well we ended up with 5 inches at my house. As I said. No moderation in this area……just floods. Looks like there is a new river that should be named running through my yard. Just what we needed 😩🔫

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
The latest Euro run was pretty much exactly what you dont wanna see, if someone said hey Downeastnc make a map showing a scary scenario for this storm 10 days from now it would be close to this......strong hurricane near the Bahamas and a ULL ( upper level low ) over Tenn.....that ULL if it retrogrades SW from there would pull the storm in a la Hugo, Fran etc.......luckily this is 10 days out and just a glimpse of what might happen, the last Euro run had it well off the coast. Still kinda surprised me to see this run pan out like this......

Storm just east of the Bahamas( cat 3ish)
us_model-en-087-0_modez_2021092300_240_35_149.png

ULL over lower Ohio valley region, these things tend to move slowly, its a cutoff low and its not in the best spot, needs to move E or NE to kick the storm out.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2021092300_240_35_310.png

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
57 degrees here right now - I can’t remember the last time it got into the fifties here. It’s been above average here in temperature for august and September almost every day

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
57 degrees here right now - I can’t remember the last time it got into the fifties here. It’s been above average here in temperature for august and September almost every day

Sadly October looks to begin above normal.....mid to upper 80's.....hopefully we get some decent cool downs by rifle opener....