Spring/Summer Weather Thread

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
weather report for my area this am,,, rain,,, got to love to hate it,,, needed but,,,,

Heavy rain showers and thunderstorms will develop across the area on Thursday as the remnants from Tropical Storm Elsa move into North Carolina. Periods of locally heavy rainfall will be possible during the daytime hours on Thursday, with the axis of heaviest rainfall located along US-1.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I may have found a new weather person to watch.
She downplayed this "event" describing it as merely "Rain with a Name"
I found that non hysterical view refreshingly different.
She works on Channel 17 raleigh.
Yeah I got tired of every weather event being drama,and the dumbed down version of forecast you get with the local channels. I like to see radar,mixed surface analysis and air pressure gradients to predict weather in my area. But if a tornado warning is issued I do go to Brad Panovich on 36 or his Facebook because he is on point for a tornado warning

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Some decent looking couplets today would not be surprised to see a few confirmed tornados, played out pretty much as the short term hi res models had it.....glad to see some folks further west getting some needed rain and us here in the east only getting a few inches at most.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Current just went out here which is unusual especially no more storm than we have had. Couple inches rain not much wind yet. Had just started fixing supper. Good thing cook with gas except oven. Guess have do a little improvising

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Current just went out here which is unusual especially no more storm than we have had. Couple inches rain not much wind yet. Had just started fixing supper. Good thing cook with gas except oven. Guess have do a little improvising
Haven't heard the term current used in a long time when pertaining to electricity.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Haven't heard the term current used in a long time when pertaining to electricity.

Here you usually hear it called current or just power. But I’m ready for it to come back on. Starting to get muggy Heat dosent bother me working but when I’m home I like the house cool to where you almost need long sleeve shirt on

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
measured 6 1/2" here yesterday,,, wind was moderate,, did take one tree out on 15/501 and took out the power lines,,laid them out right across the highway,,,

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Gotta give the GFS it due here it had this thing nailed 7-10 days out.....

This run from when it was still in the Antilles...it pretty much took this exact track shown by the model.....the GFS had a major overhaul last year and so far I gotta say its done very well with tropical systems.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Looks like some good size thunderstorms making up back to the west of here. Didn’t know was suppose to rain today

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Started raining while the sun was shining here. Rained a while and quit but looks like round 2 is about to get here now.

timber

Twelve Pointer
We had more wind and flooding this afternoon from a thunderstorm than we had yesterday. We had 2.6 inches yesterday but was spread out all day. Today got 1.5 inches in about 30 or 40 mins

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Might finally see some hints of a actual heat ridge over the SE in some of the longer range modeling, so far its been fairly typical summer weather in NC and the SE in general, all the real insane heat has been over the west coast and up into Canada with Canada setting a new all time high with a whooping 121.....that heat dome is going to shift to the upper midwest next week with highs into the 100's in the Dakotas and Canada....after that we may see a period of temps pushing 100 build in the SE....

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds like August in NC to me…around 100…let’s just not get those 105+ temps……we don’t need that

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like August in NC to me…around 100…let’s just not get those 105+ temps……we don’t need that

Typically when we do go over 100 though its dryer and breezy and the heat index can actually be lower than the temp....to me the absolute worse is those days where its 92-98 by 10am-12pm and the DP is around 75-80 typically with no breeze....the heat index in those air masses push 115-125....

The average high for most of NC from late June to late Aug is 90-91 degrees.....but its been over 2 years now since PGV hit 100 and its been 4 years since it been over 100. Even then 105 is pretty rare in NC.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Those of you interested in the weather, it's forecasts, weather prediction history , and hurricanes may like this book by Eric Larson.
It focuses on a "meteorologist" assigned to Galveston during the most deadly hurricane in US history.
He had famously told the world that Galveston could survive any hurricane.
Larson is a great historical history author. It reads more like a novel than a history.
His book on Churchill and the Chicago fire are equally interesting.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Those of you interested in the weather, it's forecasts, weather prediction history , and hurricanes may like this book by Eric Larson.
It focuses on a "meteorologist" assigned to Galveston during the most deadly hurricane in US history.
He had famously told the world that Galveston could survive any hurricane.
Larson is a great historical history author. It reads more like a novel than a history.
His book on Churchill and the Chicago fire are equally interesting.

Great book, the stories and details of what happened in Galveston in 1900 are tragic but a lot was learned just 15 yrs later a similar hurricane hit on a similar track and Galveston and its new sea wall weathered it much better.