Spring/Summer Weather Thread

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
A3A4E5CD-28B7-495E-86FB-28CB122C6C5F.jpegI’m in the shadow of Mount Pisgah
Had 2.5” yesterday that I dumped last night. Just dumped again at 4.75”
That’s 7.25” so far and we’re getting another hard band now. May be a 10” storm by time it’s done.

I’m glad I cut out our culverts and ditches yesterday afternoon. We wouldn’t have a piece of gravel left.

most people around here have a lot of boxblading to do.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
TS Henri and maybe eventually Hurricane Henri gonna setup some big swells for the coast as he turns up between Hatteras and Bermuda, hope no one was planning to go offshore in the next 4-7 days.....

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
View attachment 72275I’m in the shadow of Mount Pisgah
Had 2.5” yesterday that I dumped last night. Just dumped again at 4.75”
That’s 7.25” so far and we’re getting another hard band now. May be a 10” storm by time it’s done.

I’m glad I cut out our culverts and ditches yesterday afternoon. We wouldn’t have a piece of gravel left.

most people around here have a lot of boxblading to do.
It has gotten worse.
just lost two sections of retaining wall and going home to make sandbags and water diversion so it doesn’t flood my crawl and garage. It’s real bad right now.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Shaping up to be a 20 year event.

It has gotten worse.
just lost two sections of retaining wall and going home to make sandbags and water diversion so it doesn’t flood my crawl and garage. It’s real bad right now.
844DB2E3-D737-4B5C-B0EF-3E4FCD88CC11.png
that purple streak is about 12-15”. Transylvania and Henderson are in trouble.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
View attachment 72284View attachment 72285
this wall has been here 35 years. I keep up the diversions above it. It was just too much water on already saturated ground.
I was home at 12:15 to eat lunch.
I checked the diversions For blocks and cleaned the inlet troughs.

that 3” in 3hrs brought so much crap off the mountain it filled my ditches with debris, jumped the banks, cut a trough, and pushed the wall over.

sucks. I couldn’t do anything else to stop it coming off the mountain.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
this wall has been here 35 years. I keep up the diversions above it. It was just too much water on already saturated ground.

Sucks you have to deal with this.......certainly enough of a hill behind you to warrant concern....... NWS said 5-10" in 24-36 hrs would put land/rock/mud slides into the most likely category for most of the southern Apps.....

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I was home at 12:15 to eat lunch.
I checked the diversions For blocks and cleaned the inlet troughs.

that 3” in 3hrs brought so much crap off the mountain it filled my ditches with debris, jumped the banks, cut a trough, and pushed the wall over.

sucks. I couldn’t do anything else to stop it coming off the mountain.
Sucks you have to deal with this.......certainly enough of a hill behind you to warrant concern....... NWS said 5-10" in 24-36 hrs would put land/rock/mud slides into the most likely category for most of the southern Apps.....
I fear that all the counties along the French broad, broad, and Catawba basins are gonna have a hard couple days.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
We just crossed 11” since yesterday AM.
looks like 2 more waves coming before it’s over in the morning.
We had a little lull since the 3pm wall collapse.
I got all the water turned and away from the house.
Now it’s pouring again. Prolly another 2” til dark.
There are lots of creekside and riverside properties that are going to be different tomorrow morning.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Pigeon river in Haywood county is rocking. It’s not the highest I’ve seen it since I’ve lived in my house in 10 years but we haven’t crested yet. And Clyde has sounded the flood alarm once since I got home.

keeping an eye on it because of the hard bands that hit the mountains gotta work their way down the mountain in the next couple hours

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Pigeon river in Haywood county is rocking. It’s not the highest I’ve seen it since I’ve lived in my house in 10 years but we haven’t crested yet. And Clyde has sounded the flood alarm once since I got home.

keeping an eye on it because of the hard bands that hit the mountains gotta work their way down the mountain in the next couple hours
I lived there in 2004 when the back to back floods hit Clyde. Hope you never have to see that.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I lived there in 2004 when the back to back floods hit Clyde. Hope you never have to see that.
This has been a 12” event so far. On top of wet ground.
Francis/Ivan was an 18” event.

it’s definitely a 20 year event but not as bad as 2004 so far.
I worry about the narrows of the French broad in Transylvania and I worry about lake James.
Lake lure should also have some big problems coming their way.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
looks like we’ll be fine. Suns out and water has to get to the road and still go up 4’ as it spreads across everywhere before it gets to us. My parents are “trapped” main road in is flooded the line I drew on the photo and road over the mountain was told there was a slide.

Attachments

• D921C1FB-7D90-4F26-A8B7-0FFD5852642F.jpeg
    D921C1FB-7D90-4F26-A8B7-0FFD5852642F.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 29
  • E3D84266-88B3-4D95-8CA2-41FFB0ED1ABA.jpeg
    E3D84266-88B3-4D95-8CA2-41FFB0ED1ABA.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 30
  • 07DA33DD-3B8E-41EA-B441-70CC5DAD3809.jpeg
    07DA33DD-3B8E-41EA-B441-70CC5DAD3809.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 29

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
This has been a 12” event so far. On top of wet ground.
Francis/Ivan was an 18” event.

it’s definitely a 20 year event but not as bad as 2004 so far.
I worry about the narrows of the French broad in Transylvania and I worry about lake James.
Lake lure should also have some big problems coming their way.
I think this storm has given a lot of very localized heavy heavy rain or cloud burst. I’ve never seen that road like that ever. Even in 04’ it was in the road only covering one lane. That house is probably 10’ above the road and now almost under water. I bet there are several residential bridges gone on that small creek now

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
It was nuts out there. I was driving back and forth between canton and candler multiple times before 19 flooded in numerous spots. The amount of rain was ridiculous at one point. I got lucky and had to leave that area to get a truck issue fixed since I couldn’t work effectively anyway and that took me out of the ground zero zone in Candler. Had to turn around at Hominy Creek on 112 trying to get back where I had been working, had idiots stalling out trying to cross there at Enka Lake in cars. Hate to see you lost the retaining wall @appmtnhntr. Worst since 2004 in most places and then some have been hit harder than even then.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We've been pounded with rain since 6am. Maybe before, Idk. That's when I woke up.

Light rain, heavy rain, horizontal rain. Driveways washing out. River getting high. Tornado warning.

Weird watching the fog lift from the valleys, and not being able to decide which way it wants to be taken. Just darting back and forth, and in circles, until it breaks up.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
looks like we’ll be fine. Suns out and water has to get to the road and still go up 4’ as it spreads across everywhere before it gets to us. My parents are “trapped” main road in is flooded the line I drew on the photo and road over the mountain was told there was a slide.
Still coming up now

Attachments

• 529D8A6B-1B54-45C5-9917-9EEF6629D385.jpeg
    529D8A6B-1B54-45C5-9917-9EEF6629D385.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 98F88673-9D36-4D75-83C9-B358AD84761F.jpeg
    98F88673-9D36-4D75-83C9-B358AD84761F.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 14