Fall/Second Fall 2022 Weather Thread

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Apparently consistently too. Cuz you’d mentioned this over a year ago I think

This has been going on for 6 straight years now. We had a small window from late winter through early summer where we didn’t get a flood every 2-3 days but got moderate rain when it came but now we’re right back to that pattern of rain more days than not and it’s always a flood. The creeks rivers and lakes are back like they have been for several years……muddy as sin. It was nice not having mud everywhere for 3-4 months earlier this year but we’re paying for it again now. I just wish we could get rain in moderation. It’s a selfish thought but it screws up the fishing royally, especially this time of the year. Just looked at the forecast(not that it means anything) and there is a 50-60% chance of rain every day up to 10 days out lol. Fishing during the dog days is going to suck up the butt this year.

I read that based on one of the local rain gauges that this part of the Piedmont has received more rain than any other place on earth over the past 5-6 years and I believe it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Radar showed purple last night, and then red, then yellow, then green....then it was gone. My house is like the bizarro Adams Family house, rain avoids it when it's raining all around it
Not a drop last night, but the lightning ⚡⚡⚡ show was impressive.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Radar showed purple last night, and then red, then yellow, then green....then it was gone. My house is like the bizarro Adams Family house, rain avoids it when it's raining all around it
Not a drop last night, but the lightning ⚡⚡⚡ show was impressive.

The lightning from that storm was awesome to watch. It was constant and lots of streaky cloud to ground lightning.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
We're getting a real good pop up thunderstorm here in Southern Caswell county .
Pouring down rain at 6:45 pm.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I got dumped on yesterday. Looking at Cocorahs, the precipitation was somewhere between 1.7" and 2.5". I need to put up a rain gauge at the new house. The pool at the old house was topped off yesterday by the rain. I was going to add some today but no need for it now.

My new neighbors probably think I have a few screws loose. I was out in the rain with just swim trunks on. The gutters drain into underground pipes. I wanted to find where the end was located since the old owner was not much help. I did find one popup in the yard that was completely covered by Bermuda grass. I cleared it and will keep it trimmed in the future.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Winston Salem got an inch today, it's not even wet under my trees.
My peppers are wilting while others around me are drowning.
It's those dern hills...I lovem but I hatem.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
“Record temps” makes me shake my head. Small samples to compare to given records haven’t been kept for long. Late 1800’s?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
“Record temps” makes me shake my head. Small samples to compare to given records haven’t been kept for long. Late 1800’s?

With very different measurement instruments not to forget that standardized protocols for calibration didn’t exist.

This is the reason I don’t buy the bs.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
We now have had 14 inches of rain in the past 12 days at my house…….and the beat goes on. I long for the day when camels are walking the streets in guilford/alamance county. Carry on. At least we only got an inch and a half today. I guess that is the bright side.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Should stay in the current pattern regime for a while longer.....run to run differences in rainfall mostly based on if the fronts wash out over us or north of us....most runs have the boundry over NC so decent rainfall chances off and on the next few weeks....when the front is north of us though its gonna be hot, average temp this time of year is around 90.....we will have 2-3 day stretches were we push 100, kind of like what we have had the last couple of days and today.

1659005074221.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
This weekend shaping up to be potentially very wet...very high pwats and a stalled frontal area means the chance is there for training heavy storms and showers that will put down significant rain in a short period of time....exact location and duration of these events is very hard to tack down....this is the discussion from the mets at the Raleigh NWS office ....I would not be surprised to see some higher localized amounts of 5-8"

...Wet and unsettled this weekend, lingering into early next week...

Saturday through Sunday night: Anomalously high PWATS between 2.25-
2.5"(2 to 3 S.D. above normal)will pool along a quasi-stationary
boundary that is forecast to sag south into the area through the
weekend.

Weak shortwave impulses/mcvs embedded in the low-amplitude, nearly
zonal flow aloft, will interact with the front, potentially leading
to periods of moderate to heavy rain and an increased threat for
localized flooding over the two days. Ensemble cluster analysis
indicates a mean 2-day rain total of 1 to 2 inches are likely across
central NC, with the potential for higher qpf amount of 3 to 4
inches possible, maximized over the eastern Piedmont and central and
northern coastal plain counties. This rainfall will be highly
beneficial and will provide some welcomed relief for areas over the
coastal plain region where moderate(D1)drought conditions exist.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Another solid soaker around 4 pm in N Chatham…. Wettest July I can remember in a long time at my place!