Fall/Second Fall 2022 Weather Thread

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I think this is the same tornado I seen video of from another angle. Crazy how easily it was ripping roofs off houses.
yeah preliminary survey has it at 165mph EF 3. Theres a pretty amazing longer version of that drone video that was pretty awesome. The vorticy was changing so much it was quite the tornado for us weather nerds to watch.

EDIT: Heres that video. Between 2:50 and 3:00 minutes in you can see a tight violent vortice and it suddenly relax and weaken.

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What hit harnett county yesterday afternoon? Didnt see any tv folks or you guys on that one. I dont think ive seen that many trees down since Fran.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
yeah preliminary survey has it at 165mph EF 3. Theres a pretty amazing longer version of that drone video that was pretty awesome. The vorticy was changing so much it was quite the tornado for us weather nerds to watch.

EDIT: Heres that video. Between 2:50 and 3:00 minutes in you can see a tight violent vortice and it suddenly relax and weaken.

Definitely the one I seen. There is a video filmed from the house on the edge of that pond in the lower left of the beginning of that video. Crazy power!!

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
What hit harnett county yesterday afternoon? Didnt see any tv folks or you guys on that one. I dont think ive seen that many trees down since Fran.

Really just a run of the mill severe storm that we can see this time of year, there were quite a few downburst driven storms around Wed.....

There were several around the Charlotte area...

Tomorrow bares watching could be some tornadic cells over NC, models seem to be latching on to a cluster of storms rotating especially in NE NC...

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Tomorrow shaping up to be a pretty rough day potentially.....SPC pretty bullish on tornado threat.....looks like the biggest risk is along the NC/VA border from RDU to the east.....which matches the hi res model predictions....

1651818730671.png

Models have a cluster of supercells and they are all showing rotation on the models...rotation is indicated by the black oval areas in the storms....

1651818809849.png

Those black rotation indications is what then is used to form these maps showing helicity swaths, which there are several intense ones which would most definitely indicate strong fairly long track tornado's matching up well with the 10% area from SPC....

1651818954448.png

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Durham Schools closing 2 hours early due to potential bads storms.

Edit: Granville Schools just added

Last edited:

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Heads up in the western piedmont. Should see a tornado warning on that cell appeocahing chapel hill soon

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Yeah not gonna happen for a few more days unfortunately....hopefully by Thursday afternoon the low off the coast will have retrograded far enough SW to turn it off.....until then you gonna have sustained 20ish gusting to 40....whats it like there on a NNE fetch like this....blown out or in?

Tide is low here. NE blows all the water down the sound. Says 30 gusting to 39 currently but the gust are pretty much sustained winds. There is no break between them.

Those houses should have been moved or torn down way before this point.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Erosion and sea level are two different things. Houses built at that same elevation 1/2 mile away will still be there 100 years from now. Allowing them to be built damn near in the ocean is/was stupid knowing the beach is constantly washing away. Those houses have been a issue during nearly every storm in the past decade and they are still issuing building permits to repair and maintain them. There’s more that might survive this wind but won’t make it much longer.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We stayed in one 4-5 years ago just up from that one off America Dr. in Rodanthe. The house was on the beach. You could surf fish from the 2nd floor deck if you wanted. Parking was 4WD only because it was nothing but a sand hump. No real driveway at all.

It was impossible to keep the sand out of that house, and when we were there, I said that house will be in the ocean before long. From what I can tell it still stands, but it can't last long. There's 8-10 houses there in N. Rodanthe that are right there at the high tide line.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
GFS has had this storm in the GOM for a day or so now, its a good early test of how well it may do this year. Last tropical season the GFS did rather well in the extended to long range when it came to sniffing out storms....This would be on the early side, but certainly not unprecedented though a few runs have had a pretty powerful organized system and that is unusual this early.

1652481894138.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
First fantasy land tropical hit of the year in the models, this actually would be a borderline cane more likely strong TS, the farmers in eastern NC would probably be very ok with this....

1652620496051.png

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
100% agreed, but given the miles I drove this weekend, and never saw a cloud buildup over maybe 15K feet, I'd venture to say no one else in the surrounding 6 counties saw any rain either. I could be wrong. Have been before.
I was just messing with you.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
100% agreed, but given the miles I drove this weekend, and never saw a cloud buildup over maybe 15K feet, I'd venture to say no one else in the surrounding 6 counties saw any rain either. I could be wrong. Have been before.
We got small shower in harnett yesterday. Also saw this on way home today. I didn’t see any Kong predictions but….

Attachments

• A2055C2E-D6D1-40A9-9151-0FCAD16AAE65.jpeg
    A2055C2E-D6D1-40A9-9151-0FCAD16AAE65.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 14