Fall/Second Fall 2022 Weather Thread

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Coastal areas looking good for showers and storms today. Corn around these parts is starting to get that wilted look to some fields. Some look okay others are in worse shape

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Coastal areas looking good for showers and storms today. Corn around these parts is starting to get that wilted look to some fields. Some look okay others are in worse shape

past few weeks on the drive down the corn has been looking pretty and growing fast.

Y’all getting some turd floaters tonight.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
When's the last time y'all had any rain? Ain't rained at my house since May 23!!!
Welcome to my last summer. It lasted all summer.

We are getting plenty at our farm so far this year. Looks like it is about to get dry though.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
When's the last time y'all had any rain? Ain't rained at my house since May 23!!!

10 seconds ago - a good one

then a few hours ago,,, and a 1/2 hour before that

but that should be the last one for today,,,

timber

Twelve Pointer
All the talk about the rain from the tv weather guessers last few days turned out to be nothing. Zero rain yesterday and last night. Starting to be a pattern here. Dry as it is here and if the pattern continues a little off shore disturbance to blow some rain in would be nice.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
All the talk about the rain from the tv weather guessers last few days turned out to be nothing. Zero rain yesterday and last night.

Called wife said I was on the way home. She says, “thought you would wait the storm out at the farm”. I jokingly said what storm, it was sprinkling. I clear the trees and look west and teased her that it sure looks dark over there. Then text comes in from Dad that power was out. I pulled over on the south side of the old family store to talk to him and WHAM the rain was seemingly baseball sized drops with strong wind. I go back to a relative’s place to manually connect her house generator, fault somewhere. I couldn’t see houses or the barn by the road. Visibility at best was fifty yards. I was soaked and several lightening strikes within 500 yards. The after affects dimmed the lights for nearly a minute before returning to normal.

It was a good Ol toad strangler and much appreciated. Rain gauge said an inch but I believe it was more like two.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
This is nasty....

1654879520076.png

Though this is interesting, models trying to show a MCS/derecho hitting central and eastern NC next week....need the rain but these tend to carry a lot of wind too...the low even tries to go qusi tropical offshore

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_fh102-138.gif

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
We got about 0.5" of rain.

I've posted this link before. Use the CoCoRahs map to see how much rain fell in locations around the state. Looking at yesterday, there was some heavy rain about Duplin. Several reports over 2".

https://maps.cocorahs.org/
That shows nothing around here yesterday but it rained as hard as it could for over an hour yesterday. Hard enough the ditches were overflowing into the road.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Local pond near me held its own the last few weeks only dropping a few inches. It hasn't rained in a week or two and it has rapidly dropped over a foot all of a sudden.

@bwfarms some of the local corn is about 3 feet tall but the lower leaves are looking brown and scorched. How long does it take when that starts before they lose their crop? Dome of the corn is looking pitiful

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
@bwfarms some of the local corn is about 3 feet tall but the lower leaves are looking brown and scorched. How long does it take when that starts before they lose their crop? Dome of the corn is looking pitiful

I’ll take a general stab. Typically lower leaves yellowing is a potassium deficiency but as you describe drought like conditions that tells me a nitrogen deficiency. There may be ample nitrogen in the soil but corn routes nitrogen up the stalk. Without rain corn is unable to move nitrogen from it’s roots to continue growing so it pulls it starting with the lower leaves.

Odds are if it starts tasseling the corn yield will be very poor and might as well become silage.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Too many factors to give a specific timeline of crop failure. If it goes two more weeks without rain the odds double of complete crop failure. Maybe this chart will help.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Too many factors to give a specific timeline of crop failure. If it goes two more weeks without rain the odds double of complete crop failure. Maybe this chart will help.

Sometimes drought helps worsen itself by starving an area of moisture return. Less ground moisture to evaporate and juice up the atmosphere for afternoon storms and stuff. I have a feeling we are seeing this process slowly starting. Is it a coincidence this rain minimum overlaps the severe drought region? This is for the next 16 days and if all we get is a quarter inch of rain it's gonna get bad for the farmers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220611-094002_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-094002_Samsung Internet.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 6

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
@bwfarms these are stalks. Not so bad in the pics. Some of the beans that were planted during the wet week we had are looking okay. There's a bean field just planted near me where they are pretty much dead already. Hoping the weather changes for their sake soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220611-202636_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-202636_Gallery.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20220611-202708_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-202708_Gallery.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 25

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
@bwfarms these are stalks. Not so bad in the pics. Some of the beans that were planted during the wet week we had are looking okay. There's a bean field just planted near me where they are pretty much dead already. Hoping the weather changes for their sake soon.

First pic a west facing end row? Evaporation will explain that part in sand.

Second pic tells me potassium deficiency and let’s face it, that nutrient is very expensive this year so may have not put much or any out. Overall the corn in second pic looks normal.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
First pic a west facing end row? Evaporation will explain that part in sand.

Second pic tells me potassium deficiency and let’s face it, that nutrient is very expensive this year so may have not put much or any out. Overall the corn in second pic looks normal.
North facing end row in the first pic huge open field full sun several hundred acres. Second pic is in a more shaded smaller field maybe only 2 or 3 acres.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Clouds are starting to get a little taller today I hope they make some rain. Its real dry,not even much dew at night. Having to water some part of the garden every night to keep plants progressing 20220612_130755.jpg

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll take a general stab. Typically lower leaves yellowing is a potassium deficiency but as you describe drought like conditions that tells me a nitrogen deficiency. There may be ample nitrogen in the soil but corn routes nitrogen up the stalk. Without rain corn is unable to move nitrogen from it’s roots to continue growing so it pulls it starting with the lower leaves.

Odds are if it starts tasseling the corn yield will be very poor and might as well become silage.
Sadly the tassling process has started for these farmers in my area. Some tassels popping up now and the corn looks very poor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-144008_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220612-144008_Gallery.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20220612-143948_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220612-143948_Gallery.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: