Fall/Second Fall 2022 Weather Thread

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We got small shower in harnett yesterday. Also saw this on way home today. I didn’t see any Kong predictions but….

i had some cutting to do yesterday. It started raining when i started and stopped about the time I stopped. It was a fairly easy good crop growing rain. It was at least an hour before I was soaked and I was in it the whole time.

timber

Twelve Pointer
These rains have been streaks here. We are still dry here. There is a little surface moisture but if you dig down some you can find dry dirt. Was talking to a friend Friday night at ball game that farms and he got over 4 inches in 2 days and another 11/2 this past weekend. He has over 250 acres of cotton he has to replant because the seed is rotting in the ground. He is only a few miles as the crow flies

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I have a dream…
That one day on the gentle green fields I can mow hay.

I have a dream that one day even I can bale dry hay.

I have a dream that the rain forecast will hold off long enough but rain again when the last bale is in the barn.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Things got a little wild in eastern Wayne county/edge of Greene today US 13 was closed down for a while. We live close by and lost power according to my wife, I have seen a few pictures of damaged structures but don’t have much info. Storm came through around 2 pm today.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I have a dream…
That one day on the gentle green fields I can mow hay.

I have a dream that one day even I can bale dry hay.

I have a dream that the rain forecast will hold off long enough but rain again when the last bale is in the barn.
Cutting hay and going camping are some of the best ways to ensure a pop up storm will appear out of nowhere. And if you want a stiff breeze out of nowhere get out a big tarp and try covering something with it

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Just finished mowing and it started raining at my house!!! :mosh:

I knew at 3:30 driving due N in Raleigh someone way up North from us was getting GOOD rain!

timber

Twelve Pointer
Got nothing here yet. Storm came up several hours ago and took a detour to the east of us. A few miles from here where the storms keep tracking already had water standing in the fields for several days dont know how much they got this afternoon

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Was going to cut hay but the reports made it like it was going to be severe so I opt to do other projects like rebuild Dad’s finish mower. The amount we got wouldn’t have hurt what I was going to mow because I was going to ted in the morning. Oh well. Try again tomorrow. 6475AB15-D09F-4612-B000-F95D9B4AA78F.jpeg

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Cutting hay and going camping are some of the best ways to ensure a pop up storm will appear out of nowhere. And if you want a stiff breeze out of nowhere get out a big tarp and try covering something with it

I have neighbors that when they mow I wait.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'm calling it out. Radars are LYING!!!! I didn't even get 1/10th of an inch!!! :mad:

Driveway under my oak tree wasn't even wet :mad:.

Play WRAL's doppler or Icontrol and it looks like I got whallopped!!! :mad:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not a freaking drop here..and we need it badly. Especially with the upcoming 90's in a couple of days.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Had 3 storms today. The first two were stout and produced solid weather. One gusted over 40mph and the other put down quarter sized hail.

Tornado warning now in New Bern

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Right now La Niña just needs to keep calm tonight. My hay still has some stem moisture as I expected so it won’t be ready to bale until tomorrow.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Right now La Niña just needs to keep calm tonight. My hay still has some stem moisture as I expected so it won’t be ready to bale until tomorrow.

Where are you, there will be scattered storms today, probably widely but the atmosphere is such that there could easily be some significant localized straight line wind damage in those areas that see these storms....luckily there are no real triggers today as the profile would be lots of big hail and lots of downburst type storms.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Where are you, there will be scattered storms today, probably widely but the atmosphere is such that there could easily be some significant localized straight line wind damage in those areas that see these storms....luckily there are no real triggers today as the profile would be lots of big hail and lots of downburst type storms.

Hay is located in extreme SE Alamance. I’m gambling on the isolated as typically they miss.

blazinbowtie99

Six Pointer
It threw down at my place in Clayton last night around 1245. Crazy high winds!! Hail, lightning, downpour. Didn’t last long but the wind had me on edge a little.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It threw down at my place in Clayton last night around 1245. Crazy high winds!! Hail, lightning, downpour. Didn’t last long but the wind had me on edge a little.
had severe storm warnings around the same time here in Pitt county but it did nothing. The alarms woke me up though.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty cool capture at PGV airport last night of a very rare heat burst event.....these happen when a thunderstorm rapidly collapses and all the cold air held aloft by the storms updrafts rushes to the surface, which heats it via compression causing a rapid warming heat burst event to occur.....so last night the temps went from 73 up to 86 then back to the low 70's over the course of a hr or so....this is the biggest one I have seen actually documented in these parts.

04:55​
N 310.00
Fair​
CLR686178%NANA29.85NA
04:35​
Calm10.00
Fair​
CLR705969%NANA29.84NA
04:15​
SW 310.00
Fair​
CLR725965%NANA29.83NA
03:55​
S 610.00
Fair​
CLR775751%NA7929.82NA
03:35​
SW 610.00
Fair​
CLR815237%NA8029.81NA
03:15​
N 13 G 2510.00
Fair​
CLR864827%NA8329.80NA
02:55​
NW 910.00
Light Rain​
SCT025 SCT100 SCT120775751%NA7929.80NA0.05
02:35​
SW 57.00
Light Rain​
SCT080 SCT090 BKN120736369%NANA29.84NA0.05
02:15​
W 12 G 2410.00
Mostly Cloudy​
SCT070 BKN090796665%NA8129.90NA
01:55​
SW 810.00
Fair​
CLR797384%NA8329.85NA
01:35​
SW 710.00
Fair​
CLR777389%NA7829.85NA
01:15​
S 310.00
Fair​
CLR757394%NANA29.85NA
00:55​
Calm10.00
Fair​
CLR757289%NANA29.85NA

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns

There are reports of winds over 60 mph over a lot of Wilson....so you probably had something similar there. Reports of damage all around you.....

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yup we got it too!! Crazy..... lots of tree limbs down. ... leaves were shredded by hail. Wife was freaking out about we need to get into the bathroom.... I told her I was going back to sleep.

We lost power for about 8 hrs. Just got in from cleaning up the property

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Waiting for the top of the hay to dry and I’ll start make laps with a tedder. Got 1/4 inch rain and hail.

blazinbowtie99

Six Pointer
There are reports of winds over 60 mph over a lot of Wilson....so you probably had something similar there. Reports of damage all around you.....

I'd believe that 60 easily! I'd be curious what the JoCo airport reported as constant. It had a tree line that runs down the side of our farm property bent over like I've not seen since tropical storm weather.

Yup we got it too!! Crazy..... lots of tree limbs down. ... leaves were shredded by hail. Wife was freaking out about we need to get into the bathroom.... I told her I was going back to sleep.

We lost power for about 8 hrs. Just got in from cleaning up the property

I def got the wife and kids gathered in the closet. The storm had pretty much blown thru and we lost power. Got to try out my new whole house gen during the middle of the night! It was back on when I got up around 530 ish.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I see this grab on the weather forum I am on, big downburst on it right south of Gardner, lasted a solid 5-8 mins this gels with your report that it was "tropical like" as it was constant.....impressive event for sure.

And I cant get the gif to play on here lol will try again later

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I didn’t like tomorrow’s forecast and was worried about leaving the hay down. If it wasn’t for the strong wind and low humidity I never would have been able to bale. Had some leaf loss due to the rain/hail, could really tell it when I pulled in. Lost more leaves to shattering while tedding.

Got it baled marginally with readings of 10-14% when I started to 20-22% by finish. Some bales did read over 30%, those are likely going to be fed straight to the cows.

I estimate I lost about 7-8 percent of yield.

Everything else looks thick and green today Win some Lose some 🤷🏼‍♂️

TH7

Eight Pointer
I didn’t like tomorrow’s forecast and was worried about leaving the hay down. If it wasn’t for the strong wind and low humidity I never would have been able to bale. Had some leaf loss due to the rain/hail, could really tell it when I pulled in. Lost more leaves to shattering while tedding.

Got it baled marginally with readings of 10-14% when I started to 20-22% by finish. Some bales did read over 30%, those are likely going to be fed straight to the cows.

I estimate I lost about 7-8 percent of yield.

Everything else looks thick and green today Win some Lose some 🤷🏼‍♂️
Are you baling just for your cattle or selling too? Just curious, used to work in hay during high school and a little after.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Are you baling just for your cattle or selling too? Just curious, used to work in hay during high school and a little after.

I produce for my own cows first and then if I have excessive surplus I sell. Otherwise I try to keep the margin close because replacing nutrients is not cheap, especially now. The high moisture bales I referenced are too unstable to store in a barn so I’ll give it to the cows tomorrow and next few days. No sense losing a building or nutritional value.