Fall/Second Fall 2022 Weather Thread

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Really rough night so far.
The line of storms going from the Shelby area NNE thru Lenoir have been beyond severe. Reports of a tornado touchdown 6 miles SE of Morganton.

The phone alerts have been going off non-stop since 10:15

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Really rough night so far.
The line of storms going from the Shelby area NNE thru Lenoir have been beyond severe. Reports of a tornado touchdown 6 miles SE of Morganton.

The phone alerts have been going off non-stop since 10:15

Yeah that line is full of little rotating storms.....any one of them could pop a tornado off and on....but it should settle down in the next hr or so, then towards dawn there could be another round of storms over central and eastern NC that should not be as bad but still could have a few surprises.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Been betting the same alerts. Hard to get any sleep with them going off all night but if they save lives its good.

I havent seen the touchdown report yet, but thats only a few miles from my house to the southwest. Clouds moving low and fast....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
They found the red Chevy guy......

Commander Crim said he spoke with the driver on the side of the road shortly after the tornado hit.

“I asked if he was okay, and he shook his head and didn’t really answer me,” he said. At that point, Crim had not seen the video yet.

“Now I understand why he had a blind stare. I’m sure he was scared to death,” he said. Crim said a woman who identified herself as an off-duty EMT had wrapped the driver’s arm in a bandage.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it was a Super Duty it might not have flipped…😁

Looks to me like he drove straight into the edge of it. If you’re in a pickup, with no one else on the road, why not drive away a couple hundred yards?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Widespread frost/freeze Sunday and Monday nights.......then overall a fairly blocky pattern which means more cool days than warm ones.....and a active southern branch, similar to last Jan pattern....in fact last 18Z run had this little tease...that would be 40 and heavy rain with a embedded area where the column dynamically cools enough to get big fat wet snowflakes to the surface....pretty unlikely to happen but then again it can and has snowed big in early April even in central and eastern NC....its just literally like a once in a 100 yr thing.

1648277956848.png

"Ten inches of snow, according to the National Weather Service, crippled the city on Easter Sunday--an unexpected blizzard that wrought havoc on downtown Raleigh."

1648278321498.png

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Really wanted to try to get the pup on a rabbit track. Wind here is pretty bad. Chilly out but by no means what I’d consider cold. Likely just turn her loose and get her exercised and giver her nose-to-ground time

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Still a few days away but there seems to be growing consensus for a decent severe weather outbreak this upcoming Thursday.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I just want the damn wind to quit howling.. it has been blowing like I live on the plains for the last what feels like a week now. I don't mind a breeze but this weekend and today was nuts. Great temps for being outside.. sans the wind.
Gonna be another really windy couple.of daya coming up. Seems relentless this spring.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
ya all act like you never heard the rhyme (with basis in truth) of "March Winds bring April Showers and May Flowers",,,,
course it was developed in more temperate climates,,, but it still rings true every year,,,

jiminy,, gots ta teach ya all everything,,,,

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not only did the kid in the red truck get a new truck, he also got $15,000.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/teen-...-new-truck-by-fort-worth-chevrolet-dealership
Amazing. Foolish enough to drive straight into a tornado, and you get a brand new truck + cash.

Nothing wrong with the feel good story, just possibly one of the best results to come out of one of the worst decisions.

Wide open road, open lanes. He could have gone forward or backward 100 yards and been safely watching as the person videoing was, but he chose to drive through it. Glad it worked out.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Tomorrow trying to be a bit more of a issue model wise.....at least in the eastern half of the state on some hi res model runs.....it one of those cases where the winds support bad storms but the overall environment makes it tough to get those storms to take advantage of those winds....

This was from yesterday afternoon depicting cape values which is just what they use to measure instability/ability of the atmosphere to support thunderstorms....this time of year anything over 500 is decent, over 1000 is a lot and more than 1500 is usually the makings of a very bad day. So going from 100-200 cape to 1000-1200 cape is a significant change.

1648687245398.png

This is the latest run for the same time period ( tomorrow afternoon) its a bit more concerning with the cape...

1648687230593.png

I would not be surprised to see the SPC move that yellow slight risk area to encompass most of central and eastern NC on their next update after the last few runs...

1648687384160.png

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like some fires close to the pigeon forge area again. With this wind it could get bad. Closing in on 300 acres already

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like some fires close to the pigeon forge area again. With this wind it could get bad. Closing in on 300 acres already

Wouldn’t known about it until you posted. Saw they resumed controlled burn at Jordan Lake and something about a fire in Cumberland County. Hope those are put out or things could get interesting.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Wouldn’t known about it until you posted. Saw they resumed controlled burn at Jordan Lake and something about a fire in Cumberland County. Hope those are put out or things could get interesting.
Actually it has grown considerably from earlier. Now at 1k acres. Like the map downeast posted shows the winds should be cranking tomorrow. Luckily it comes with some rain but any ongoing fires could really expand in this type of wind.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t know if the front that came through the Midwest yesterday is holding its strength to the coast, but the winds here in southern Indiana got righteous yesterday and last night.

cncwmg

Four Pointer
One was going pretty strong in Bladen County early this week. The forest service had airplanes and helicopters dumping water on Monday. One of the roads off 53 was shut down.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Probably just had a tornado just north of Morrisville in Wake/Durham Co, maybe on the ground for a mile or two.....any of you guys seen or heard confirmation of anything OTG?