Fall/Second Fall 2022 Weather Thread

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ok, I'm quite frustrated.

ALL we've heard about since LAST week was the heat coming on TUESDAY 6-14-2022. EXTREME heat!

Now, yesterday was indeed warm, and we limited ourselves to mostly inside work but with no HVAC running and stagnant air, it was hot. Last week we lined up 6-14-2022 to perform two different building roof projects. Yesterday and even this morning, we discussed putting them off due to the expected heat.

Around 11 am, I mentioned to my buddy how NICE it was outside, nowhere NEAR extremely hot!! Not even CLOSE!!!

So now, we are going on roof tops Thursday/Friday, and I bet you cant GUESS what those days will be like compared to today.

:mad:

yup, prediction even as late as this morning called for 102 degrees here in my little part of NC,,, got to 95

not complaining on the temps mind ya,,, but sure wish my work could take that kind of consistent misses,,

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
yup, prediction even as late as this morning called for 102 degrees here in my little part of NC,,, got to 95

not complaining on the temps mind ya,,, but sure wish my work could take that kind of consistent misses,,

A couple weeks ago the triad weather wizard came on the radio.

"Nothing but mostly sunny skies for the triad today. No rain in sight BUT, we can't rule out the chance of a possible light-to-moderate rain event, with the potential of producing a little precipitation or a heavy down pour, coupled with a chance of severe lighting, small hail, and possible isolated structure damaging wind gusts."

Everything but snow.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Models also still showing temps at or above 100 next week as well.....

including these all time record type numbers.....but like today shows there are usually some sort of mitigating factor thus the reason 100+ degree days are just not common around here...its been a long time though since I have seen models spitting out this type of temp in the 7-10 range.

1655266315330.png

This was posted by a met over on one of the weather forums concerning the above modeled heat wave....

"generally i'm a little skeptical of the modeled heat next week, as we all should be, but at the same time- every dog has its day. ask somebody in seattle or portland how "oh that's ridiculous, it won't be that hot" turned out last year

and I'm not going to lie you can't really script a better heatwave. blob of ultra-high 850s rotating around the ridge into our neck of the woods, some downsloping, no precip risk, low surface dews from the stale canadian air mass that hasn't really had any chance to advect any moisture over. sun angle? literally can't be higher in the sky. next wednesday is the literal longest day of the year. it's pretty devious. next week is really gonna suck"

Last edited:

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Models also still showing temps at or above 100 next week as well.....

including these all time record type numbers.....but like today shows there are usually some sort of mitigating factor thus the reason 100+ degree days are just not common around here...its been a long time though since I have seen models spitting out this type of temp in the 7-10 range.

View attachment 93191

This was posted by a met over on one of the weather forums concerning the above modeled heat wave....

"generally i'm a little skeptical of the modeled heat next week, as we all should be, but at the same time- every dog has its day. ask somebody in seattle or portland how "oh that's ridiculous, it won't be that hot" turned out last year

and I'm not going to lie you can't really script a better heatwave. blob of ultra-high 850s rotating around the ridge into our neck of the woods, some downsloping, no precip risk, low surface dews from the stale canadian air mass that hasn't really had any chance to advect any moisture over. sun angle? literally can't be higher in the sky. next wednesday is the literal longest day of the year. it's pretty devious. next week is really gonna suck"
I thought the stale Canandian air mass was coming early next week to got fishing?🤭

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ALL we've heard about since LAST week was the heat coming on TUESDAY 6-14-2022. EXTREME heat!

Around 11 am, I mentioned to my buddy how NICE it was outside, nowhere NEAR extremely hot!! Not even CLOSE!!!

So now, we are going on roof tops Thursday/Friday, and I bet you cant GUESS what those days will be like compared to today.

:mad:
Yesterday was the most comfortable "extreme heat" day I've ever seen. It started off cloudy, then a light rain. It remained cloudy with a breeze well into the afternoon with temps in the mid-upper 80's. The sun peaked out off an on about mid afternoon and it finally broke 90, but by the time we had to leave for baseball practice at 5:30, it was back down to 88, still with a breeze. Typical mild June day.

Not complaining though, I'll take it!

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Would certainly be a record breaking 3 day stretch is it actually came to pass......either way it looks a tad warm next week...this is worse case though the GFS has it more like 99-102 most places.

1655297364621.png

1655297380157.png

1655297393510.png

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Yesterday was the most comfortable "extreme heat" day I've ever seen. It started off cloudy, then a light rain. It remained cloudy with a breeze well into the afternoon with temps in the mid-upper 80's. The sun peaked out off an on about mid afternoon and it finally broke 90, but by the time we had to leave for baseball practice at 5:30, it was back down to 88, still with a breeze. Typical mild June day.

Not complaining though, I'll take it!
Even Brad Panovich which I think seems to be the most honest “we don’t know what it’s going to do til it does it” meteorologist out there, said the weather yesterday pretty much came out of no where and once that ball of energy broke off SSE, said it would keep us from getting where it was originally forecasted to go.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Getting a good rain at the house. Trees falling in CLT. Welcome to summer in the south. Typical.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Power is out at Dad’s, no surprise there. Seems since they cleared trees from lines in the area it goes out every thunderstorm. Quite aggravating. My house a few miles west it’s a gentle rain, more noise than anything.

Radar indicates he’s getting more rain and that’s just fine with me, I need it over there.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Good showers all around me but just a few miles off in all directions. Another missed opportunity with less than one tenth of an inch in the gauge. The creek is down to a trickle. The beavers are making do with what's available 20220616_151955.jpg20220616_151847.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not one drop at my house .but I drove through a gully washer in Kernersville to get home.
It went just a few miles below my house and then the rest petered out once the heat was gone.
Dang it.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good showers all around me but just a few miles off in all directions. Another missed opportunity with less than one tenth of an inch in the gauge. The creek is down to a trickle. The beavers are making do with what's available
I declare there's some kind of rain repellent around here. I was watching this horseshoe of heavy storms surrounding us, getting ready to collapse on us, and then it totally splits and reforms in a strong line to the south. One might think this is coincidence, just summer storms doing what they do, but I have seen this over and over and over. There's something around here that makes summer storms split or dry up right when before they get to us.

That said, the power was out here for 4 hours this evening. Something big went out that knocked out 3100 customers in one outage. A total of 10,000 (over 12% of customers) out of power with Union Power which is a lot for a summer storm.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I declare there's some kind of rain repellent around here. I was watching this horseshoe of heavy storms surrounding us, getting ready to collapse on us in all it's fury, and then it totally splits and reforms in a strong line to the south. One might think this is coincidence, just summer storms doing what they do, but I have seen this over and over and over. There's something around here that makes summer storms split or dry up right when before they get to us.

That said, the power was out here for 4 hours this evening. Something big went out that knocked out 3100 customers in one outage. A total of 10,000 (over 12% of customers) out of power with Union Power which is a lot for a summer storm.
My power flickered off for a second then back on. As far as needing rain it sucks but I have seen storms split around this area time and time again. Even my grandfather would see a storm approaching from the west to north west and say " that's going to go around us". The storms from south west especially ones that develop off the heat from the city usually roll right in on us. I saw that hole in the clouds on radar as well, very disappointing. I don't think I have had three inches of rain here since March.

cncwmg

Four Pointer
Gauge showed about an 1" after the worst was done in Raleigh, got a little more afterwards. It was pretty impressive how dark it got around 5:30 and how hard that line came in.

Got some steady rain this morning in Hyde county. I'm sure the farmers were happy.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Another chance for some business for Justin tomorrow.....models all have a line of storms crossing pretty much the entire state of NC....there will be parts of this line that will be severe, main threat is straight line winds.....looks to kick off mid afternoon out just east of the mts and then race east to clear the coast by sunset....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Latest modeled radar run for this afternoon.....and then the temps....timing of this is 5pm at the beginning of the loop 10pm at the end...the radar is not to be taken verbatim but is useful for timing purposes...

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_fh15-20.gif

nam3km_T2m_seus_fh15-20.gif

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Didn't get much rain yesterday but what a temperature drop it was 69 degrees at twilight. Got a lot done outdoors last night

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Didn't get much rain yesterday but what a temperature drop it was 69 degrees at twilight. Got a lot done outdoors last night
We were in fleetwood near boome until today. Some amazing weather up there compared to the 99 I have right now back on the coastal plain.