Spring scouting

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Anyone have any good duck reports? I checked one of our spots today and saw a good number of birds. Plenty of woodies and teal with a few widgeon, gadwall and mallards mixed in. I love to see them this time of year and do my best to send them back fat and happy.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Saw a few thousand blackheads rafted up behind the house on sunday, looked like greaters.
Seeing more puddle ducks now than i did the entire season.
Saw my first wad of spring bluewings a few days back also.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
The wife and I spent 3 days in February riding and looking at new spots (mainly ramps and launch points). Saw birds at several spots. Getting excited for the new adventures that next season will bring. Retooling the decoy spread and putting a new blind on the boat.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Pulled our boat in currituck and while driving to ramp saw some ducks today. 150 or so teal and a decent number of mallards, black and gadwall.
Got a report from back bay of a decent numbe rof birds around knotts island as well.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Birds I have been feeding behind the house have started to thin out pretty good with this warm weather. Had a bunch of bufflehead and a few blacks and blackheads with the local mallards and a good amount of the bufflehead have left along with everything but the mallards. Throwing out my last bucket of corn tomm. They have been fed from october till now a bucket a day so time to head north and make some more ducks for next year.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Still some rafts of divers here and there that I see while fishing. I’d say lower numbers than we had during the late season though

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Pile of woodies and hooded mergansers around my new happy place. Some slow quackers flew over. Gadwall or mallards couldn’t tell.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I like the bufflehead. They arent skittish at all and will come right up to you. Much closer than any other truly wild duck. They stick around till early april to a degree in the river I live on.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Drained a spot for turkey season. Wish I had not bc alot of birds where using it (found out later that afternoon when watching the flight) but left the spot next to it flooded and put out some food. Lots of woodies and teal still hitting the ponds. Love seeing them this time of year. Wish we saw more teal during season but it is what it is. Glad we can send them back fat and happy and help the local woodies stay healthy for this years broods. Lots on inverts and corn and with last falls warm weather have a healthy crop of coontail and duckweed for them to munch on.

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Pushed the feeding behind the house to this morning to get them through the cold saturday through today. They are now cut off from the free food. Still a decent number of bufflehead, mallards and blacks through the weekend.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Going this weekend (actually Sunday and Monday) to do some scouting with the boat just to familiarize myself with some new water.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Saw a mallard in a nearby marsh today. We have tons of Canada geese, but almost never see ducks around here, so unusual. Second time I've seen ducks in that small marsh.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Drained our second pond this weekend. Alot of teal and woodies still here. I suspect the woodies are here to stay but the teal mostly boogied out from saturday to sunday as the water came down. A fair amount of woodies were landing in the ditches and dry feeding which was cool. Hoping they are healthy and make a bunch of babies this year!

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I’m still holding water and probably will til a mid/late June drawdown. Hope to control the panic grass better…stuff grows too thick, fast and tall. Funny that the teal never showed up this year but do have a couple dozen woodies (just about all drakes) hanging around. Even had several go land in pines around the pond which was neat. My dog flushed momma and 5 chicks Saturday, first ones I’ve seen. Have 4 boxes with eggs so hope to see more soon.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Was out on the boat Sunday working on retrieves with the dog, managed to find a few decent sized flocks of bluebills (or possibly ringnecks) still hanging around some bigger water.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
yeah still seeing a few bufflehead around. Still some teal around in big ditches and low spots in our fields

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I had a buddy call me and said he saw a bunch of ducks in back bay this past weekend. teal, pintail, woodies, gadwall, mallards. Still a few birds around that should be heading north soon

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Have about 40 wood ducks dry feeding in our field still. Cool to see and glad they r still around and using our spot. Have seen a few mallard babies and a few geese. One of our wood duck boxes has hatched. Did not get a chance to check the other one.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
It’s not exactly scouting, but I’m seeing way more geese around this year than I usually do. Both in town around the parks, on the rivers and sounds and marshes, every little backwater creek and beaver pond… and a LOT of chicks have shown up in the last week as well.