Spring 2021 Crappie Report Thread

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Tobyscreams post got me thinking about how varied crappie fishing can be this time of year. I figured this could be a useful for everyone especially guys that are learning. I dont want anyone to post specific locations, or even the body of water. I was thinking info like water conditions, presentations that are working, depth ranges the fish have moved into, etc.

I went yesterday and pulled jigs for a few hours in my usual spots when the water temp is mid 50s. No takers. Noticed an excessive amount of seagulls, apparently there was a big shad die off. Struggling threadfins everywhere on top. Im assuming all of the fish in the lake are probably gorging themselves. Might go with plan B Saturday.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Tobyscreams post got me thinking about how varied crappie fishing can be this time of year. I figured this could be a useful for everyone especially guys that are learning. I dont want anyone to post specific locations, or even the body of water. I was thinking info like water conditions, presentations that are working, depth ranges the fish have moved into, etc.

I went yesterday and pulled jigs for a few hours in my usual spots when the water temp is mid 50s. No takers. Noticed an excessive amount of seagulls, apparently there was a big shad die off. Struggling threadfins everywhere on top. Im assuming all of the fish in the lake are probably gorging themselves. Might go with plan B Saturday.

Fished Tuesday AM. Side scanned some new territory. Couldn’t put it together. They want to pull up prespawn but can’t commit.
Found a few fish in some usual haunts. Nothing to write home about. Was going this afternoon but I don’t feel like fighting the wind.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Fished yesterday 3/10/21. Water surface temp average 51 degrees. Found fish in the mouths of larger creek coves in the channels where there was some sort of submerged structure, logs, stumps, brush. Sonar showed them average 10ft. We couldnt beg and get a hit. Fishing soft jigs mostly, tried all colors and combos. Very tight-lipped fish yesterday.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Past 3 trips for us, the crappie have been tough to get to bite. The few we've caught were dang nice though. It was bad enough we switched over to chasing green carp mid trip. We caught the snot out of those first of the week.🤬

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Past 3 trips for us, the crappie have been tough to get to bite. The few we've caught were dang nice though. It was bad enough we switched over to chasing green carp mid trip. We caught the snot out of those first of the week.🤬

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That green carp comment always cracks me up

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Was on the yadkin pee dee lakes today,dingy water color and a lot of current. As long as the dams have flood gates cracked open nothing is going to be normal. Let's hope the rains are light going forward

I walked down to the creek today and caught about 15.

Used Black Panther Martin gold blade

A strike king white and chartreuse tube.

A Berkeley power bait swim shad 2 inch in fire tiger on #2 spinner.

Not bad fish for a non navigable walk up creek. Some of the highlights.

Attachments

• 20210311_162149.jpg
    20210311_162149.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210311_154526.jpg
    20210311_154526.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210311_160723.jpg
    20210311_160723.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210311_151248.jpg
    20210311_151248.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 20

4n6Tox

Button Buck

Number if seagulls on harris has to be in the tens of thousands right now.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We fished today on the Yadkin chain. Surface temps were 50 degrees to start and topped out at 54-56. The fish are not ganged up in their usual prespawn spots in big numbers yet. I'm finding a few but not like they should be. And where we caught some last week was a bust. Picking up a few here and there, but they are scattered. The ones I'm marking are 20-25' in 30' of water. We caught some tightlining today, a few longlining, and zero the one hour we fished docks. I really thought this warm, stable weather would have put them on a better bite.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Number if seagulls on harris has to be in the tens of thousands right now.

Thats where I was at and seen them. Most ive ever seen. A lot of the bass and crappie tournament guys are saying the shad die off in the lake might not be a bad thing. The shad population is so high that between that and fish being educated, fishing is tough.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
bridging at jordan was slow for the regulars on Tuesday.
The water temps just jumped up quickly so the movements you are looking for may be "behind the water temps."
While green carp fishing yesterday with my SIl I asked him to show to show me some crappie. Fishing his standard spots for a while he failed to get bit.
After he got that out of his system we could return to less tasty, dumber fish.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
Could not find any crappie on my trip to mid Falls lake Tuesday . Water was 4 foot over normal . Also switched to going after lm bass and managed a couple . Heading out in the morning, taking the smaller kayak to smaller water. The water level has been dropping almost a foot a day, so should be prime time soon.

Hrlhustler

Six Pointer
Did good in high rock in 4 to 7 ft shooting piers at the mouth of staging areas and then this evening whacked em in a small pocket in 12 to 18 inches of water

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Been doing well crappie fishing. Have to find the suspended ones. Been fishing river channels that are about 25' deep. If I marked any at the 15' they would bite. Ton of boats out spider rigging with next to no luck.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We kept a dozen good sized ones from this evening pulling jigs 15' down in 20-25'. We didn't get out there until the afternoon, but a couple of boats I talked to on the way out said they had done pretty good. Temps were 56-60 where we were fishing.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Was out at Falls Lake today.
Dragging bait and managed a few about 15 feet.

Boy the fools were out today. Guy full blast under bridge with no wake signs, had his bass boat cooking! What a fool. Also bunch of fools in the pontoon overloaded as crap running as fast as the thing would go, passing people fishing on anchor and trolling motors.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Certain percentage of people on the water don't have a clue how bad of a disturbance they create,especially the non fishing boaters. Then the other fraction just don't care. Common sense is in short supply

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I tell you... Some of the people at the boat ramp are crazy.

When I was backing down the ramp a car drove down to the landing and drove behind me. They come close to eating the trailer!
Also I see this guy as we are coming to the dock that is away from the ramp. To dock when you need to go get the trailer. The guy driving a big Tundra with a new looking ride around party boat. He was on his own. He offloaded the boat and tied it at the end of the trailer. Went to get all his gear and keys, several trips to the truck. Fired it up and let it warm after he figured how to lower the motor. Then motored the boat back 10 feet and tied it off again. The went to park the trailer.

I went to get my trailer, loaded the boat and was on the hill watching him.
Must have been 30 to 40 min or more blocking the ramp.

Another lady tried to load a jet boat. Come on the traiker sideways. Then ran over the trailer hit the dock. Off the dock and back up the trailer.
There was enough people yelling to shut it off and trying to video it..... guys jumoed in waste deep then they pulled in on the trailers.

All a joke. Tied up that ramp maybe 25 to 30 minutes. ...

Someone needs to go video this stuff.

JWH15

Six Pointer
I tell you... Some of the people at the boat ramp are crazy.

When I was backing down the ramp a car drove down to the landing and drove behind me. They come close to eating the trailer!
Also I see this guy as we are coming to the dock that is away from the ramp. To dock when you need to go get the trailer. The guy driving a big Tundra with a new looking ride around party boat. He was on his own. He offloaded the boat and tied it at the end of the trailer. Went to get all his gear and keys, several trips to the truck. Fired it up and let it warm after he figured how to lower the motor. Then motored the boat back 10 feet and tied it off again. The went to park the trailer.

I went to get my trailer, loaded the boat and was on the hill watching him.
Must have been 30 to 40 min or more blocking the ramp.

Another lady tried to load a jet boat. Come on the traiker sideways. Then ran over the trailer hit the dock. Off the dock and back up the trailer.
There was enough people yelling to shut it off and trying to video it..... guys jumoed in waste deep then they pulled in on the trailers.

All a joke. Tied up that ramp maybe 25 to 30 minutes. ...

Someone needs to go video this stuff.
I was putting my boat in when that lady ran into the dock. After 3 or 4 times of hitting the dock and the trailer her husband finally intervened, I couldn’t help but laugh, I will give it to her she was persistent, she kept saying “let me straighten up and try it again” 😂😂

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I was putting my boat in when that lady ran into the dock. After 3 or 4 times of hitting the dock and the trailer her husband finally intervened, I couldn’t help but laugh, I will give it to her she was persistent, she kept saying “let me straighten up and try it again” 😂😂
Where were you?
There was a guy in a car watching the. The guy at the dock when I loaded. Was that you I was joking with at the tie up dock? I was in the seaark!

Hrlhustler

Six Pointer
Well went back to where I caught fish yesterday and never caught a crappie in 5 hours on high rock today but did see and catch more bass than I ever have on a crappie jig... had over 30 bass blow up on my crappie cork... needless to say I'll be out there first thing in the am with a black buzzbait🤙🤙🤙

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Was just double checking the Crappie regs for Falls Lake. Looks like they removed the limits. Wonder when they did that? Not really fished Falls for crappie in several years.