Spot Fish

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
In no particular order, my top5 surf/pier delicacies are...

Whiting
Specs
Spot
Croaker
Hogfish

And come to think of it, I love Spanish, Blues, Flounder, Toads, and Grays, too.

My biggest dilemma is which route to go: house Autry or grilled with lime, salt, garlic, butter and pepper.

Ou yeah...I like both kinds of drum, too...and Sheepshead might be the best🙂

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When I was little barely big enough to see over the pier rail so 50 years ago. Fishing on Jeanettes pier with my dad I caught a nice blue a guy next to me caught a big spot. He said I’ll trade you I said ok. So about an hour later he comes back by with a king about as big as me and said look what I caught with your bluefish. It pissed me off and I’ve never traded a blue for a spot since.

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To each their own. Some folks like spots, I'd rather have a bream.

Good luck to those looking to catch them.

Go fishing for what you want and hopefully you'll catch them.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t think it would make my top 10. Extremely over rated.

OP- this weather will stir those spots up.... they like that ugly water
I agree with you man...it's gotta be the nostalgia.

I moved down here, people get hot and bothered for them. First time I ordered it I thought, "Meh, its ok." Caught some of my own, no better. Ordered it 1/2 a dozen times too, from nice places to greasy spoon fry joints.

The taste is fine, the texture is garbage, like mashed potatoes, except tastes like fish.

Of the fish I can catch in NC, before I'd eat a flounder again, I'd prefer in no particular order, blowfish, crappies, catfish, redfish, speckled trout, smallmouth bass, bream, mullet, pompano, freshwater trout, sheepshead, and bluefish if it's handled right.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
i remember going to VA beach as a teen with the family for a week during July 4th. we always planned a fishing/crabbing night-morning jaunt on the pier before heading home. we stayed at a hotel called KONI KIA....a japanese looking building right by the pier....never forget the peppermint beach club blarring out beach music all night and packed with people right there by the pier.....i was only about 13 so i had to watch and listen lol......you were allowed only 2 items....poles and or crab nets....we'd get a cup of bloodworms and a couple packs of chicken backs and find a spot about half way down the pier.....always had luck that time of the year with spots and blue crabs....we'd often load the coolers with both fish and crabs and head home to end our vacation with a fish fry- crab boil.........this thread has brought back some fond memories......

Clark

Ten Pointer
^^ i was a little pier rat growing up and sold a many a bluefish to the guys fishing for kings. It payed for drinks and snacks every day😁
In my mid-teens I would hit the pier when we got to the beach Friday night and leave when they had the car packed on Sunday morning. Family would bring me food and coffee! Kept a king rig in the water all the time, still took me a few years to catch one. Now some piers do not even allow king fishing?

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Catch and release into the Crisco Pond till they have a golden tan...I like spots and a long list of other fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk