Sportsman Guide Tripod

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Went down today and put up one of those cheap sportsman guide tripods(or a brand very similar) that I bought used from someone locally.
Is it normal for it to have alot of bounce to it when your climbing up?
I dont feel like its gonna fall over or anything it just isn't near as sturdy as I would like.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Does it have a stiff knee from the ladder back to the stand?
Yes, when I bought it there wasn't any but I added 3 braces to it. I didn't have the bolts down tight though because I left my wrench at home(shocker[emoji34]).
I plan on tightening them up next trip down and even putting a tie down in the ground and using a ratchet strap from the floor down to that.

Reactions: PG2

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
The tripods I've sat in that were wobble-free cost some serious cash.

MJ...you may want to buy one of those high wind stake kits they sell at Lowe's for sheds. I'm not sure those legs will have a place for the cable to pass through but maybe you can put them through your platform.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
The legs have a piece on the bottom to drive stakes thru the feet and I did that with rebar, but I know from past experience that doesn't keep them from going over. I also added a top to it so it's more subject to "grab" the wind.
Hopefully we don't get bad winds until I can't get back down there and strap it down.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
You should be as stealthy as a cat climbing that thing with your low center of gravity. :)
I'm not worried about me as much as I am having it stable when your old lady is up there with me...[emoji6]

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not worried about me as much as I am having it stable when your old lady is up there with me...[emoji6]

In that case it is like a water bed....
Things just keep moving....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A short mobile home anchor and a piece of cable attached to the center of the platform works wonders for them and it takes just a minute to install.
You can use a ratchet strap as well, but they do have more give than a piece of cable.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just dont put anything under the stand you dont want to fall on.....
Makes the doctor bill less when you do fall if they do not need to remove anything chunks of rebar or other foreign objects.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Just dont put anything under the stand you dont want to fall on.....
Makes the doctor bill less when you do fall if they do not need to remove anything chunks of rebar or other foreign objects.
I take it you don't like the cheap tripod stands...lol.