Spooky deer finds

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I shot a decent 7pt several years ago and still had decent light and it was cold so I decided to sit a while I knew my buck was down because I heard him crash. So I climb down still had just enough light to walk to my deer without my light. I get to him and he starts moving or so I think. About that time a huge bobcat comes over top of him growling and raising cane. He was coming towards me slapping the ground with his front feet. First instinct was to run but I didn’t he would have caught my fat tail anyway. Then my hunting instincts kicked in and I remembered that magnum hanging on my back. He scared the 💩 out of me but I won the battle and he got shot in the face. That was the spookiest scariest thing that ever happened to me. Took me a long time to walk out of the woods on jello legs that night. You can see how large the kitty is between the deers legs he had eaten a pretty good size hole in my buck

This is an awesome story. I have always wanted to kill a bobcat…..even cooler if it happened like that. Used to have one that hung out around my deer stand but never came out in daylight. Right after dark there were several times where it would put a loud scream and it would make the hair on neck stand up every time.

Bean

Eight Pointer
This is an awesome story. I have always wanted to kill a bobcat…..even cooler if it happened like that. Used to have one that hung out around my deer stand but never came out in daylight. Right after dark there were several times where it would put a loud scream and it would make the hair on neck stand up every time.
They are pretty plentiful in my area. I’ve killed 5 and haven’t shot another one in about 10 yrs but I’ve passed on several

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Last year's opening day of the VA. archery season I shot a 10 pt. buck. It fell and I gave it some time. Walked down and looked it over, and decided to take my climber and crossbow out first.
(from now on the meat comes out first) Came back fifteen minutes later and something had ate some of hams off it.

1003201008c.jpg

1003201323.jpg

1027201225c-1.jpg

At first I figured it was coyotes, but after hunting this area more and seeing mama Boo Boo and her two cubs a half dozen times I am not so sure it was a coyote.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Shot a doe, had one heck of a time getting her out. Came out a different than usual way. Bunch of vines and greenbrier, tripped a bunch on my way out. Some time over the next few days, a buddy walked in the way I came out. Seem a cool box turtle shell. The most round one he had ever seen. He picked it up of course,. Skull, human skull! The whole dang skeleton with cloths and wallet. Man had been missing for 10 years or so. Appeared he died relieving himself. I'm just glad I didn't trip and fall into that. I do believe I would have freaked a little, at least to start. There were only a few bones missing.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I shot a decent 7pt several years ago and still had decent light and it was cold so I decided to sit a while I knew my buck was down because I heard him crash. So I climb down still had just enough light to walk to my deer without my light. I get to him and he starts moving or so I think. About that time a huge bobcat comes over top of him growling and raising cane. He was coming towards me slapping the ground with his front feet. First instinct was to run but I didn’t he would have caught my fat tail anyway. Then my hunting instincts kicked in and I remembered that magnum hanging on my back. He scared the 💩 out of me but I won the battle and he got shot in the face. That was the spookiest scariest thing that ever happened to me. Took me a long time to walk out of the woods on jello legs that night. You can see how large the kitty is between the deers legs he had eaten a pretty good size hole in my buck
No kidding? I had a friend tell me about the exact same thing happening to him a few years ago on a property that we hunted together. I thought he was full of schit, as I didn't believe a bobcat would even stick around like that if a human approached. Your story and picture proves otherwise. I owe my buddy an apology for doubting his story.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Scariest thing here..... coyotes don’t bother me in the least. Had em yip and carry on close by but they’re just glorified chihuahuas

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I’m right there with you justin, the coyote looking at me as I was quartering my deer was unnerving but he freaked out when I turned around. A bobcat or bear protecting its food is a whole different ball game.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Every deer I have had coyotes eat on they started at the b-t hole and usually chew on the nose. A field I hunt regularly about 350 yards from the house has evening coyote traffic just into the woods. I used to shoot deer in that field and they would run into the woods and crash,I would walk home and get my truck to go load up and 30 minutes coyotes done eat on them. Now I go on to the deer and leave my hat laying on it before I get the truck and they don't come near it

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had something similar happen in PA a few years ago. Tracking a doe with a surely fatal shot after dark in a hemlock forest, I came across a steaming pile of bear scat. I backed out and called the boys. We went in, found bear tracks over deer blood then the blood disappeared with some drag marks. The whole story was right there. Knowing there was a 600# bear in the immediate area made me feel I donated one to the food chain, not lost one to waste.
I lost one kill to a bear during bow season. Bear was there when I trailed it up and I just left.

the next time that happened I followed the drag marks and ran the bear off and got my deer.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I was bow hunting deer with a buddy from Siler City on public land at Jordan Lake in the 80's and we were set up a few hundred yards apart in mature hardwoods. He made what he felt was a good shot on a tall 7 point about 40 minutes before dark, so he backed out and waited on me to come out of the woods. We walked back in to his stand & got on the blood trail. The buck crossed the ridge and headed down to next bottom. We found his arrow, a gut pile, and drag marks towards the road. The dumb S.O.B. who stole the buck stopped to check the deer in and get his picture taken (!) at Wilsonville. I know the guy who owns Wilsonville and he let me read the check in tag book, so we found out the thief's address in Raleigh. My buddy had to work that night and he didn't have time to drive to Raleigh, then get back to Siler , & get to work in time. My buddy went and talked to the guy the next weekend, but the guy claimed to have killed the deer himself. We all knew he was lying. This is more aggravating than spooky. I don't mean to get the thread off topic, but I had to share.

Jim