Spinning reel recommendations

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Looking for a solid spinning reel for bass fishing. Don’t need anything high end just a solid reel. Bought a shimano Sedona, was great out of the box, after using it maybe 3 times it is literally falling apart. Part that holds the bail on is so wobbly I’m afraid it’s going to fall apart. Never seen this out of a shimano.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Looking for a solid spinning reel for bass fishing. Don’t need anything high end just a solid reel. Bought a shimano Sedona, was great out of the box, after using it maybe 3 times it is literally falling apart. Part that holds the bail on is so wobbly I’m afraid it’s going to fall apart. Never seen this out of a shimano.
I've used Diawa BG (formerly Black Gold) for years in both fresh and salt water. Smooth, dependable drag. Sturdy construction. Like them better than the Penn and Shimano reels I have.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I've bought 3 Pfluger Presidents in the last year and a half and am happy with them...They go for about $60...Two of these came from Sportsmans Warehouse out of Greensboro, they were a combo with a 7 foot Fenwick, Eagle rod for $110...They work well for bass as well as inshore fishing on the coast...

I've also bought a smaller Diawa Regal LT for ultralight fishing, they make larger models as well, I'm happy with that one as well....

30/06

Twelve Pointer
The diawa BG is what I had before the shimano. I sunk it at beaver dam off the back of the yak and didn’t realize it til I got back to the ramp. Was going to replace it but no where had em locally during the pandemic. Thanks for the suggestions

Bluecord

Six Pointer
I would spend the extra money and buy a Diawa tatula, it comes with the thicker metal line guard or bail arm whatever it’s called, which is what breaks on 90% of them in my experience. I love the ones I have.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
The diawa bg's are good reels for the money. The penn fierce reels are also pretty tough for the money. I've been kinda disappointed in shimano's mid price point reels recently.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Depending on price point:

Pfleuger President - $60
Shimano Sahara - $80
Daiwa BG - $100

I have a Sedona. Haven't had any trouble out of it yet. I'd send it back, if it's only been used 3 times.

sll

Four Pointer
The Pflueger President and Daiwa Revros are two of the best bargains on a quality spinning reel made and both are under $60.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I really like the Lews Mach crush 300. I have 3 of them and have used them for 2 years and never had a problem and I’ve caught 1000s of fish on them. You can find them new on eBay for the cheapest route.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I dont think any of the ones @sky hawk listed will give you any trouble. I use spinning a lot for me and my guests and have recently bought all three of those and have no issue with any of them. I like a 2500 or 3000 size fore ned risg shakey heads and senkos.
I wont be buying any more shimanos though as they have ceased putting a reverse switch on their low end reels.
I grew up back reeling in lieu of using a drag and still occasionally feel the need to do that on larger or fiesty bass.
Daiwa and pfluegers still have that feature.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I agree Oldest, don't know when in the heck they decided to leave an anti reverse on a spinning reel...I seldom engage it except when putting up to store...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I agree Oldest, don't know when in the heck they decided to leave an anti reverse on a spinning reel...I seldom engage it except when putting up to store...
they think their drag systems today are so smooth that it is useless plus it is one less part to give a problem and probably cheaper as well.