Spin Drift

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Last week I shot for the first time at 900 yards and noticed that my groups were about 8 inches to the right. No wind to speak of. Then I found out about spin drift and sure enough the spin of the bullet will swing your groups to the right (for a right hand twist barrel). I'm a real newbie at shooting long range but it is a really fun learning experience. I dug up a few formulas online and not sure if they will work but I'm going to plug in my data and see what happens the next time I shoot. The Coriolis Effect is another one that makes my head hurt. Got to get the silly planet to stop spinning!! :D Anyone else enjoy shooting "way out yonder"?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Coriolis Effect,,,,,,,,,some funny articles have been written on that,,,,,,,be careful shooting across the equator,,,,,,,,,,,

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Coriolis Effect,,,,,,,,,some funny articles have been written on that,,,,,,,be careful shooting across the equator,,,,,,,,,,,

Yea, it'll make your bullet spin backwards and affect your spin drift calculations.. :)

wdjenkins

I love to shoot long range too. It's a big challenge and lots of fun. You can always learn more from experienced shooters. I think the biggest obstacle to me was getting that perfect load developed. I read a ton on the subject. Tried lots of different bullets, powder, brass, primers, you name it. When shooting at 1000 yards I even weigh all my brass, bullets and even try to get to 1/20 th of a grain on my powder charges. The more perfect your ammo is the better groups you get at long range. The world record group size at 1000 yards if I'm not mistaken is 1.403". Think golf ball at 1000. Think about that one! What caliber you shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I'm shooting 6.5 Creed but I have a 30-378 that I'm still trying to work up a decent load for. It held the record for many years thanks to some boys in PA who kept the cartridge alive. Something like 4 inches at a 1,000 yards.

I'm still looking for a place to try a 1,000 yard shot. Here in southeastern NC those places are far and few between. Hey Woodmoose! Do you shoot in Scotland County? Where are you at wdjenkins? I'm down in Bladen, the home of short shooters. :(

Last edited:

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
There are some places in Bladen to shoot long range. We used to shoot near White Lake quite frequently but I lost touch with the guys. I shoot a 7 STW and have shot matches in Brunswick and also SC.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
It would be nice to have a place to shoot LR that is not a half-day drive as well as meeting a few shooters to compare lies with. ;)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,,,,Hey Woodmoose! Do you shoot in Scotland County? ,,,,,,,,,(

yes Sir,,,,good ol' WSA,,,,,,,,,when I get time,,,,,,had my oldest daughter and oldest granddaughter out the other day "sampling" some handguns,,,,,,,,,

wdjenkins

I'm in Duplin county. Beulaville. I shoot a 6mm BR, a 6.5/284. I also deer hunt with two 7mm rem mags and a 270 WSM. I shot only once at 1000. That was at Camp Butner in a weekend match. I shot F class with my 6 BR. I came in 3 rd. great experience. I think there were over 200 shooters from everywhere. Everyone was friendly. Always wanted to go back but haven't made it yet. I bet that 6.5 Creedmore is a really sweet shooter.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Wdjenkins!
I've heard of the matches at Butner. What do you do? Just show up or do you have to join a group, or what? Hopefully I will have a new custom Creedmoor this coming fall that may actually be a 1,000 yard rifle. Right now I'm shooting a straight out of the box Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is simply amazing. It will hold less than a MOA out to 800 if I do my part. Not bad for a $500 rifle. I put a 12X SWFA scope ($300) on top of it and there ya' go. :cool:

I'm not sure what kind of glass to put on the new rifle? Those NF scopes are really sweet but a little pricey.

Oh, I have the opportunity to pick up a 270 WSM for a good deal. It's a synthetic Winchester and kicks like a mule. I'm feeding so many now I don't know if I can afford to feed another one? :confused:

wdjenkins

Its been awhile since I went to Butner. I think they have a web sight and I got info there. They had a phone number to call. The guy I talked to told me how much the entry fee was and what time and when to be there. Best I remember we shot over two hundred rounds in 3 days, so make sure you got everything before you go. Definitely call a few weeks ahead of time just in case you need to make a lot of ammo or you need to get something you don't have. I also read a lot about NRA matches. David Tubbs was a great source for shooting long range, reloading or anything to do with long range accuracy. Maybe I'll make back one day soon. Are you having a rifle built or just thinking about it? A friend of mine bought a Savage in 6.5/284, he is shooting 2 and 3 inch groups at 600. It has a 1 in 8 twist barrel. Good accuracy for about a 3 rd the cost of a custom built. As far as scopes, I love the high end Bushnells. I have a 6 x 24 4200 on both my 6 BR and my 6.5/284. That's what I used at Butner while people around me were using 3000.00 dollar scopes I had 500.00 dollars in my scope and almost won the thing. What ever scope you get make sure it's parallax free with adjustable objective. Both my target rifles have 28" Lilja barrels with 8 twist. My 270 WSM is a Browning A Bolt. Kicked like a mule when I first bought it. I cut out all the wood I could under the barrel and action. I put a recoil reducer filled with Mercury in the forearm and covered it with #9 shot and covered that and bedded the action with steel bed. It is sweet. Extremely accurate and kicks more like a 243 than a mule. Shots 140 gr accubonds at 3150 fps. Gives me goose bumps thinking about it.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I'm having an old M70 22-250 rebarreled to 6.5 CM. 26" Krieger No. 6. Thanks for the tip on the glass. I'm still shopping around trying to decide what to put on it.

I've heard about "stock" BR matches (usually 100-300 yard) but not sure if any ranges/clubs in NC offer them? It would be a great way to get folks interested in the sport.

wdjenkins

I don't think they make the 4200 anymore. Mine has 1/8" adjustments. All my hunting and target scopes are the 4200. They do have some tactical scopes that I would like. I'm not familiar with the SWFA but it looks like it would be a good one. Make sure you get the right focal plane that you will be happy with. All mine are 2nd focal plane and I like them. A lot of people prefer the 1st focal plane. I would suggest a little more magnification, maybe up to 24 or 30. 1000 yards is along way to see a 10 inch circle with a x in it. But if it is going to be a multipurpose scope that 3 - 15 may be perfect.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Spent many a day laying on the 1K yard firing line down at Camp Butner over the years as well as many others. The North Satte Rifle Club has shoots there all the time. http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/newindex.htm

If I were in the market for a budget (as in not looking to spend the $1,500-$3,000 on a nightforce, leupold, swarovski, etc.) long range huunting/target scope, I would look at the Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 with mil-dot and the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50. While these are not exactly cheap, the are not so expensive that you will hav e to take a second mortage out on the house either. They offer some good features and good glass for an affordable price, IMO. I have been using a couple of the Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 on a 30-378 Weatherby and a 7mm RUM for the past 5-6 years now and I do not regret spending the $650-$700 on each of them at all. I have been shooting the Viper HS-T on a 6mm-284 Win the past couple years and really like it as well and have no complaints about it. I would not hesitate to buy another one of either of these scopes for long range hunting or target work. Of course if I were going to get back into serious long range target shooting again, I would drop the 2x-3x the $$ on the absolute best glass I could afford.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Spent many a day laying on the 1K yard firing line down at Camp Butner over the years as well as many others. The North Satte Rifle Club has shoots there all the time. http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/newindex.htm

If I were in the market for a budget (as in not looking to spend the $1,500-$3,000 on a nightforce, leupold, swarovski, etc.) long range huunting/target scope, I would look at the Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 with mil-dot and the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50. While these are not exactly cheap, the are not so expensive that you will hav e to take a second mortage out on the house either. They offer some good features and good glass for an affordable price, IMO. I have been using a couple of the Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 on a 30-378 Weatherby and a 7mm RUM for the past 5-6 years now and I do not regret spending the $650-$700 on each of them at all. I have been shooting the Viper HS-T on a 6mm-284 Win the past couple years and really like it as well and have no complaints about it. I would not hesitate to buy another one of either of these scopes for long range hunting or target work. Of course if I were going to get back into serious long range target shooting again, I would drop the 2x-3x the $$ on the absolute best glass I could afford.

Thanks. I'm looking for a decent scope. Trying to keep it under a grand. I want target turrets and matching turrets and reticles. The Vortex looks interesting.

Last edited:

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
^^^ You could go with a fixed. The first time I shoot in a 1K match about 20yrs ago, was with my issued M-24 sniper rifle with a fixed 10x. Shot a 186-4X. It can be done.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I have both the 10X and 12X SWFA fixed. Great scopes for the money. That's what I'm shooting (12X) on the Creed. It would be nice to have a variable to say, 5 to 20-25X for LR.

It would be great if could all get together sometime and burn some powder just for fun. Still looking for a decent place to shoot out to 1K. When they pick the corn, I can shoot here at the hosue to 600 yards. Maybe 700? I'm in Bladen.

Last edited: