Spider Season!

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've been spending a lot of time in the woods, getting ready. I don't think I've ever seen so many spiders as this year. Dang things are between every tree. I can't wait until the first frost!

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
They are super bad this year... pretty sure I saw one the other day that would make B&C... spider that is

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We don't have those huge banana spiders that spin that yellow 4 pound test sticky fishing line up here, just the ones with all kinds of stickers on their backs like some prehistoric dinosaur spider.
That's one of my priorities when I step into the woods, a custom spider stick, about 3 feet long with branching near the ends. And I'm still gonna end up with mats of spider web in my hair.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fall is the season when you will see the most spiders. They are cleaning up the insect populations which usually peak just before October.
Wolf , Black widow and Brown recluse are not gonna be found in the deer woods but you can get bit by a brown recluse in your permanent box stand. They love those things.
I have been bit in mine in early December by a brown recluse here in Harnett.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I made the mistake of riding my 4 wheeler yesterday thru the woods without first installing my spider web remover system. I was miserable.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I think we killed a booner wolf spider yesterday.

We were insulating my cabin in sc and I guess he decided to come investigate our work. He was so big I was startled. I started to ease the .22 up but decided that wasn’t enough punch to take him down. I slowly switched over to the more lethal bug spray. After a daring stare down I smoked him with a good 30 second burst. He froze in his tracks! I decided to hit him again with another burst. He took off after the 2nd round. We decided it was best to back out of the cabin. Hopefully we can find him in the morning with pics to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Awesome! Y'all gave me one more good thing about being semi-handicapped right now with this back.... I dont have to look and feel like a spaz trying to get a dang spider and web off me.... I HATE those things..... snakes don't bother me, but a spider the size of a dime will make me hurt myself. :)

Reactions: jug

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I think we killed a booner wolf spider yesterday.

We were insulating my cabin in sc and I guess he decided to come investigate our work. He was so big I was startled. I started to ease the .22 up but decided that wasn’t enough punch to take him down. I slowly switched over to the more lethal bug spray. After a daring stare down I smoked him with a good 30 second burst. He froze in his tracks! I decided to hit him again with another burst. He took off after the 2nd round. We decided it was best to back out of the cabin. Hopefully we can find him in the morning with pics to come!

Awful warm to leave him over night the legs may be ruint

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Well after pushing him last night we decided to back out.

We jumped him this morning and I made a beautiful shot with the ruger .22. The hollow point made a solid thud and he bowed up. After a struggle he slowly bedded down. Mid afternoon we came back to the last spot we had seen him and there he was.

I’m tickled pink to join the booner 4” spider club. It’s taken years and years of hard work, patience and dedication but I’ve managed to accomplish a seemingly impossible task!!
88187194ca0f78c18c96ff00d46b9d1b.jpg

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Huh..... been in the woods the past 2 days with minimal spider encounters. Actually very refreshing not walking into a web every 10 ft

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Well after pushing him last night we decided to back out.

We jumped him this morning and I made a beautiful shot with the ruger .22. The hollow point made a solid thud and he bowed up. After a struggle he slowly bedded down. Mid afternoon we came back to the last spot we had seen him and there he was.

I’m tickled pink to join the booner 4” spider club. It’s taken years and years of hard work, patience and dedication but I’ve managed to accomplish a seemingly impossible task!!
88187194ca0f78c18c96ff00d46b9d1b.jpg

Now that's a spider!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spiderwebs are a good sign. Means no one has been walking your trails...
I use them to monitor my chicken pens as well just like that. In the early AM when I feed them I expect to find whole webs , if I don't it's time to start looking closer.