speckled trout cold kill off?

redbow

Ten Pointer
Not sure how cold it has been at the coast but I know there is another blast of arctic air coming next week. With the recent cold temps and the upcoming cold weather, how concerned should we be with a speckled trout kill off? The trout fishing was awesome this year and I would hate to see them take a hit right when we got back to this level of awesome fishing. What are you guy's thoughts?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Haven't seen any signs locally yet and I've been looking. There are a couple of creeks around here where the turnover tends to hit quicker than others.

BTW, what do the regs say is a limit of dead fish?

Last edited:

odie408

Ten Pointer
I look out the window every morning across the Pungo towards Leechville for gulls and eagles feeding on the bank. So far so good. Snow is much worse on them than just the cold.

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Fished all day Saturday in the ICW and creeks near Oak Island(Brunswick County).... Caught Trout and Reds and no sign of a kill. Water temp was 42.1.... Things will like change with this current cold snap

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I fished Friday and Saturday. Had to break ice to fish in the mornings but caught trout and drum both days. No signs of a stun thus far and the fish were actively feeding.

willch

Twelve Pointer
The next week is going to be crucial, hopefully alot of the trout have found refuge but I'm sure you will see some floating by Sunday. Fished Saturday and water was around 41 but thin sheet of ice covered 40% of the creek.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Seen dead floaters in Bay River and neuse river and several creeks. It's going to be ugly for Pamlico from what I have seen to date.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Another chance for rain, sleet and snow mix coming in on Wednesday. Not projected to be a lot but adds insult to injury on the fish.