"Special" calls

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
May not be the most productive; or the prettiest; or best sounding, or expensive call. Hard to describe unless you have/yhad one.
BUT it has some quality that makes /made it special to you.
Mine was (unfortunately past tense) a gifted Albert Paul box call. cedar over walnut.
I didn't use it for several seasons after I got it being addicted to the high pitch of a Camp box.
One AM I did carry it and was sitting beside a Uwharrie valley next to little river.
No roost action from any call or locator.
As I started to leave I brought out that call (it was the only one I hadn't used) and yelped.
The trees within a few yards of me exploded with yelping and gobbling.
I had found the call we all want, one that sounds good to the turkeys.

I used it for about seven years before a youth hunter left it laying behind my truck for me to drive over. No piece of messed up gear has ever been so painful. There is no telling what a real hunter could have killed with that call.
I sent it back to Mr. Paul for him to use the paddle on another box but he just sent another complete call.. It wasn't/isn't the same to me.
That's my story.

What calls do you have that were /are "special'? Define special as you like.
As I typed this it started to sound familiar. If I am being redundant I apologize but really just like to hear yall's tales on turkey stuff so please don't let my repetitiveness keep you from playing.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Cody/Red Head slate. Cody made the slate call for Bass Pro about 20 years ago. It was my first pot call. Had a hickory striker. It's just a sweet, soft call that I like to use when a gobbler is close. Called in my first ever longbeard with it (My buddy shot it). And I called in my last gobbler with it when I tagged out last season. It's always in my vest even if I never bring it out. I've got about 5 or 6 custom slates that are on a shelf because they just can't jump into the starting lineup over it.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a K&H ol yelper box, that I can't not carry with me. I bought that particular call over the phone. I told pops to play me a bunch, and when I heard it I said bring me that one and not one like it either. That call! It just has 'it'.

I've got boxes by Scruggs, Camp, Halloran, White etc, and not a one of em can knock that cheap walnut box out of my vest.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
An al holbert slate /black walnut call I bought at the DDC almost 10 years ago

I just have high confidence with the way it sounds. It is always the first call I grab out of my vest

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I have a Vaughn's glass I bought back in 1997. Cant tell you how many birds have been called in with it.

Attachments

• 20190309_084833.jpg
    20190309_084833.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 41

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Got a Don Carter (Singing Sam Turkey Calls) that I bought at DDC in 2001...persimmon/eucalyptus side...bout the sweetest purrs on a box I have ever heard. You know if you can get that perfect purr out of a call, it will do anything. Got a White Classic 120 way back (no longer made) that has been the death of no telling how many....that one was my first call. Start sleeping with it bout this time of year.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Another great thread o.s. Here are a few of my favorites.....all for different reasons.
This first one is obviously special. It's a picture call of my Dad with his last gobbler, made for me by the forum's own "Tarheel Turkey", Jason Terry of Tobacco Row Custom Calls north of Roxboro.

Below is an Albert Paul box I had made for my Dad back in '99. He really liked that box.

Below is a Neil Cost box I had made in '79. Called up and killed my first gobbler with that call.26205
And below are four real special wing bone calls that I wish I could make sing like the makers. From top to bottom, they were made and given to me by Neal Weakly, Earl Carpenter, and Wayne Bailey, three men who collectively taught me everything I know about turkeys and turkey hunting.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Mr. Weakly gave me the best line I have ever heard on the sport.
He told me that the gobblers head bouncing off your leg/butt while you carried him out was the second best feeling in the world. :)
Nice calls familyman. You had some fine mentors.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Mr. Weakly gave me the best line I have ever heard on the sport.
He told me that the gobblers head bouncing off your leg/butt while you carried him out was the second best feeling in the world. :)
Nice calls familyman. You had some fine mentors.
All those dots of blood on the back of your pants leg (pants legs if you had a long enough tote to switch shoulders) were reminders of a successful hunt! I would leave it on there until after the season. :LOL:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
All those dots of blood on the back of your pants leg (pants legs if you had a long enough tote to switch shoulders) were reminders of a successful hunt! I would leave it on there until after the season. :LOL:
never cleaned it off the seat cushion on the vest. i left it hanging mostly anyway. :)

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Familyman is a tough act to follow, but here we go. I won a free bamboo wing bone turkey call from lasttombstone at the Meet and Greet get-together at Golden Corral after the DDC. I've been practicing turkey calls with it and I absolutely love it! I think the free box call I got from the GSO Turkey Hunting Workshop may need to find a new home. I haven't used it since I got this call.

Ever since they told us not many people use wing bone calls anymore at the GSO Turkey Hunting Workshop and that the wing bone call is the original instrument used to call turkeys down through the ages, I knew that was the kind of call I wanted to use. I've always liked the unusual stuff and the old ways of doing things. Couldn't have gotten this from a cooler guy. Thanks again, lasttombstone!

Attachments

• IMG_20190309_132653870.jpg
    IMG_20190309_132653870.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 38

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
You make to much to do over a little reed call but how you say things sure made me feel good. Now I'm gonna have to get you a bonafide wingbone call. I'm really glad you are enjoying it and hope you can someday post a picture with a big bird you take while using it.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Familyman is a tough act to follow, but here we go. I won a free bamboo wing bone turkey call from lasttombstone at the Meet and Greet get-together at Golden Corral after the DDC. I've been practicing turkey calls with it and I absolutely love it! I think the free box call I got from the GSO Turkey Hunting Workshop may need to find a new home. I haven't used it since I got this call.

Ever since they told us not many people use wing bone calls anymore at the GSO Turkey Hunting Workshop and that the wing bone call is the original instrument used to call turkeys down through the ages, I knew that was the kind of call I wanted to use. I've always liked the unusual stuff and the old ways of doing things. Couldn't have gotten this from a cooler guy. Thanks again, lasttombstone!
Nice call like he said be really nice to see a bird fall with it this spring a pic with call and bird would be awesome don't leave that box at home sometimes you might want different sound though always good to have backup

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've got 2 special calls that aren't fancy, they just happen to make pretty good turkey sounds. Enough turkeys have committed to them that they've become favorites.
One is a Hunters Specialties SL 360 slate. I've killed 27 gobblers with that call and several more for other hunters & friends.
My other special call is a Quaker Boy field grade boat paddle. It reaches out there & grabs gobblers by the ears, especially on windy days. It has a high pitch that really pulls.

Jim

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
May not be the most productive; or the prettiest; or best sounding, or expensive call. Hard to describe unless you have/yhad one.
BUT it has some quality that makes /made it special to you.
Mine was (unfortunately past tense) a gifted Albert Paul box call. cedar over walnut.
I didn't use it for several seasons after I got it being addicted to the high pitch of a Camp box.
One AM I did carry it and was sitting beside a Uwharrie valley next to little river.
No roost action from any call or locator.
As I started to leave I brought out that call (it was the only one I hadn't used) and yelped.
The trees within a few yards of me exploded with yelping and gobbling.
I had found the call we all want, one that sounds good to the turkeys.

I used it for about seven years before a youth hunter left it laying behind my truck for me to drive over. No piece of messed up gear has ever been so painful. There is no telling what a real hunter could have killed with that call.
I sent it back to Mr. Paul for him to use the paddle on another box but he just sent another complete call.. It wasn't/isn't the same to me.
That's my story.

What calls do you have that were /are "special'? Define special as you like.
As I typed this it started to sound familiar. If I am being redundant I apologize but really just like to hear yall's tales on turkey stuff so please don't let my repetitiveness keep you from playing.
I read your story again, and the mental picture I'm getting of you walking around behind the truck to find your prized call laying there in pieces is breaking my heart.

If you would, how about telling us your favorite story involving that call.....or maybe finish telling us about the above hunt...picking up right after "the trees within a few yards of me exploded with yelping and gobbling".

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I read your story again, and the mental picture I'm getting of you walking around behind the truck to find your prized call laying there in pieces is breaking my heart.

If you would, how about telling us your favorite story involving that call.....or maybe finish telling us about the above hunt...picking up right after "the trees within a few yards of me exploded with yelping and gobbling".
well the favorite part of the history of that call is it's beginning and end.
That was the first strokes I ever made in the woods with the call when the "woods exploded."
The day the call "died" the youth I was with had used it to great effect getting reponses from a bird that we could not hunt due to property and time limitations. He had to be in church so we had to quit in time for that.
It was his first real calling on his own and he was so excited.

So the call elicited gobbles the first and last time it was played. And a whole lot in between. That's what was special with the call.
It also got a gobble from a bird the first time I ever tried to gobble afield with a box call. That was fun. :)
It even got one killed by accident one day.
A walkaway field bird was heading away quick. I was going to make a big loop and try and get in his way. In maneuvering I by accident caused a cluck sound from the call. The turkey stopped dead in his tracks and started to me. He had a long way to come but a few more on purpose clucks got him where he needed to be.
Of course any call might have caused that but this one did so it gets all the glory. :)

Thanks for asking familyman it is helping me get ready for the new season.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
well the favorite part of the history of that call is it's beginning and end.
That was the first strokes I ever made in the woods with the call when the "woods exploded."
The day the call "died" the youth I was with had used it to great effect getting reponses from a bird that we could not hunt due to property and time limitations. He had to be in church so we had to quit in time for that.
It was his first real calling on his own and he was so excited.

So the call elicited gobbles the first and last time it was played. And a whole lot in between. That's what was special with the call.
It also got a gobble from a bird the first time I ever tried to gobble afield with a box call. That was fun. :)
It even got one killed by accident one day.
A walkaway field bird was heading away quick. I was going to make a big loop and try and get in his way. In maneuvering I by accident caused a cluck sound from the call. The turkey stopped dead in his tracks and started to me. He had a long way to come but a few more on purpose clucks got him where he needed to be.
Of course any call might have caused that but this one did so it gets all the glory. :)

Thanks for asking familyman it is helping me get ready for the new season.
Thanks o.s. Mr. Paul could have used that story in his advertising....as if he needed any. "An accidental cluck on an A.P. box is more effective than an on-purpose one from another caller."

Also, I must admit after reading your initial post I wondered about the youth.....how he fared after the "incident". But I expect you let him off easy. Who would have the heart to come down hard on a young fella that walked away from a gobbling turkey to get to church on time? :giggle:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks o.s. Mr. Paul could have used that story in his advertising....as if he needed any. "An accidental cluck on an A.P. box is more effective than an on-purpose one from another caller."

Also, I must admit after reading your initial post I wondered about the youth.....how he fared after the "incident". But I expect you let him off easy. Who would have the heart to come down hard on a young fella that walked away from a gobbling turkey to get to church on time? :giggle:
No I wouldn't have thought of transferring grief to him. Great kid who just got married last week. Man I am getting old. :)
He did not quite understand/agree with not going after the turkey but he went after church to one of their farm leases and killed one on his own. His first on his own.
I told him it was his reward for doing stuff the right way.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Well, they have church every Sunday...turkey season is only a month long....just saying;)
I concur. Since they made Sunday hunting legal, I've had "church" in the turkey woods on many occasions. Regardless, I do give props to any hunter, young or old, who can walk away from a gobbling bird to go to church...or to go anywhere else for that matter. I'm just not that strong!

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
No I wouldn't have thought of transferring grief to him. Great kid who just got married last week. Man I am getting old. :)
He did not quite understand/agree with not going after the turkey but he went after church to one of their farm leases and killed one on his own. His first on his own.
I told him it was his reward for doing stuff the right way.
Wow....what a great teaching moment for you. That does make a great ending to the story.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I'll probably get laughed at over this one, but it's kinda "special" so I'm gonna tell it. It's a Quaker Boy Easy Yelper. What?! Yep...a push pin call! :eek: I don't use it a lot, but when I do, it does exactly what I need it to. It calls super, super soft. I keep it in my right mid-chest vest pocket...a pocket that is a little blousy and probably intended to hold a box call horizontally. The easy yelper just lays in there kinda loosely, and I never take it out of that pocket.....and in fact, the pocket stays zipped. But I can work it while in gun-on-knee shooting position by easing my (right) shooting hand from the shotgun grip down to the pocket. and can work the pin just enough to get the softest little cluck or purr that makes it sound like I'm back behind me another 30 yards. Most folks use a mouth diaphragm for close-in work, and I do too sometimes....but I can't call as softly on the diaphragm as I'd like, so this little push-pin box gives me that soft little note or two that I might need to try and coax him just a little bit more. I might couple the soft cluck or purr with one more leaf scratch to make that strutting gobbler want to get just a little bit closer so the "hen" can see how purty he is. For that single purpose, that little call has worked wonderfully for me for a lotta years. I guess that makes it special. Right? Go ahead....laugh it up! :LOL:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One of my favorite calls is the Ol Yeller pot call. It's a type of ceramic call from Knight and Hale that has a unique sound, waterproof and super easy to use for softer sounds. When I found a Little Yeller at a yard sale years ago I thought I'd give it a try, I'd never seen one and I've had the bigger version for years. The little version was even better and the first time out it helped me kill a gobbler, it was gonna be mine forever.
Last season on my first trip out I pulled the little darling out of my vest and it was shattered, not just cracked....I was heartbroken. So I dug up another one of my many pot calls and somehow managed to kill a turkey before the end of the season. :p

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was going through a bag of turkey hunting things I inherited from Ridge Runner. The last few years before he past from this world he was making some calls and I got a number of them. Most of what he was making was pot calls. Tonight I came across this box call that I'm pretty sure he built. I think this will be a special call.

Randy

Ten Pointer
This was the 1st slate call I got when I first started hunting turkeys and was given to me by my late father. He told me he thought I should have at least one slate call if I was going to hunt turkeys. It's just a production Primos call that he picked up in a bargain bin at a sporting good store for $5 I think, but, it means the world to me and I tend to use it a whole lot more than other way more expensive calls I have acquired since then. I use it with a corn cob striker that he made and also gave to me. He made it from a piece of red cedar that was left over from lining the closets in our house when he built it in 1954. It's my go to call for soft calling situations.

Last edited:

Excursion

Ten Pointer
My grandfather made a box call in 1928. My Dad said he would call turkeys with it on a regular basis. He was not hunting because it was fun, he was hunting to feed 12 kids. He passed in 1964 before I was born. Out of all 12 kids and all the grand kids I am the only turkey hunter. 3 years ago my dad gave me that box call. It had not been used in a long time. It was one of the best gifts I have ever received. I plan to use it to call in a long beard and connect to my grandfather I never met.