SpaceX launch

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
He is east side of greenville over towards grimesland. We are about 8 miles apart by the way the crow flies

It was to my west maybe a tad WNW

Everyone needs to go here and log a fireball report....

here is their pending report log from this event so far...

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
So NASA intiates the fireball over Greenville and has it ending at Macclesfield exploding 28 miles up. There may be small fragments but that's too high for there to have been bigger pieces.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I'm impressed with our in field research. We pretty much nailed it!

Crazy but it makes sense it did not really move left or right it was just a big bright pulsing flash of light....literally lit up the entire sky....

The AMS Event#2021-7540 event was mainly seen from North Carolina, but was also visible from Washington DC, Delaware, Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. Analysis of the eyewitness accounts posted on the AMS, combined with data from a NASA camera located in western North Carolina and other publicly accessible videos indicate that the meteor first became visible 48 miles (77 km) above Greenville, North Carolina. Moving northwest at 33,000 miles per hour (53,000 km/h), it survived only 3.5 seconds before disintegrating 28 miles (45 km) above Macclesfield. At its brightest, the fireball rivaled the Full Moon, suggesting it was caused by an object roughly 45 pounds (20 kg) in weight and 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter. The low speed could imply an asteroidal origin.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
We used the sight info from you, shaggy and myself, with triangulation and decided it was between Greenville and where I am...west of Rocky Mount and figured it was between us. We nailed it. Pretty amazing really.

Yeah that was crazy it was right over my neck of the woods. Thank goodness it wasn't something like tunkuska or we'd all be dead this morning lol.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Yeah that was crazy it was right over my neck of the woods. Thank goodness it wasn't something like tunkuska or we'd all be dead this morning lol.
Yeah, I thought it was much bigger than 45lbs. They are just guessing though. A house sized meteor would really cause some fireworks. Cool that you guys heard the boom!

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, I thought it was much bigger than 45lbs. They are just guessing though. A house sized meteor would really cause some fireworks. Cool that you guys heard the boom!

Yeah a house size meteor would have been bad, especially at that angle it entered it would have probably been a impact event....these things are solid stone and or iron this one did what it did and was roughly the size of a basketball.....the one below was 66 ft across so house size...if it had been on the same entry angle the one we had last night it would have made it very close to the ground before exploding with the force of a dozen Hiroshima size bombs...

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
Most “shooting stars” you see are just the size of your thumbnail. Those fireballs are awesome. I was pretty obsessed with them for awhile and reported several on the AMS website. It’s pretty rare to be close enough to hear a boom! Awesome work guys!

southerngunbelle

Six Pointer
They......once again....NAILED it! landing a rocket on a ship (and yes, Tipmoose, they ALMOST caught it all this time), NEVER gets old to me!

Now if you watch the video, the farings go FLYING off like oak leaves in a hurricane, but SpaceX plans to "catch" those, and had done so, in giant nets behind boats. WTH are the mathematical algorithms involved in catching those? No chutes, no rockets, just gravity. How do they know where a flipping leaf will land?!?!?!
I suppose that knowledge is for rocket scientists .... oh wait :ROFLMAO:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Yeah a house size meteor would have been bad, especially at that angle it entered it would have probably been a impact event....these things are solid stone and or iron this one did what it did and was roughly the size of a basketball.....the one below was 66 ft across so house size...if it had been on the same entry angle the one we had last night it would have made it very close to the ground before exploding with the force of a dozen Hiroshima size bombs...

I love it when people link youtube videos here, I click on them, and it starts where I paused it last time I watched it. :D

What an extraordinary event to be seen or even captured.

I swear one of those videos looks like some alien ship fired something right at SpaceX and might have hit it!

Clark

Ten Pointer
Caught the Falcon Heavy launch today from central NC. Just a contrail low on the southern horizon but cool to see.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Should be some cool morning pics as the sun rises on the exhaust plume....that was wild to watch.....Antares safely makes orbit.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Caught the Antares this morning out of Greensboro. Quite bright! Even managed to get my wife out to see! We want to go to Atlantic Beach for the next one.