SpaceX launch

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That was pretty cool...amazing that they can land first stage rocket on a moving platform...looks like it only missed bullseye by a couple of feet

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We watched both this evening. That Starlink train is pretty cool. There was one satellite way out in front, and then the train just showed up right in the middle of the sky. I couldn't see them until they were almost directly overhead.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
They......once again....NAILED it! landing a rocket on a ship (and yes, Tipmoose, they ALMOST caught it all this time), NEVER gets old to me!

Now if you watch the video, the farings go FLYING off like oak leaves in a hurricane, but SpaceX plans to "catch" those, and had done so, in giant nets behind boats. WTH are the mathematical algorithms involved in catching those? No chutes, no rockets, just gravity. How do they know where a flipping leaf will land?!?!?!

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Now if you watch the video, the farings go FLYING off like oak leaves in a hurricane, but SpaceX plans to "catch" those, and had done so, in giant nets behind boats. WTH are the mathematical algorithms involved in catching those? No chutes, no rockets, just gravity. How do they know where a flipping leaf will land?!?!?!

Online math classes duh...

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
Just watched it fly over the southern sky from my place south of Greenville. Went outside when they said first booster separation off the Carolina coast and about 2 min. later saw it low on the south streaking to the east. Move a lot faster than the ISS that I have watched many times and the rocket aura looked like a comet tail.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Just watched it fly over the southern sky from my place south of Greenville. Went outside when they said first booster separation off the Carolina coast and about 2 min. later saw it low on the south streaking to the east. Move a lot faster than the ISS that I have watched many times and the rocket aura looked like a comet tail.

I am in Simpson and looked as well I couldnt see it....it was probably low to the horizon so behind the trees....and my neighbor was burning a giant leaf pile and there was smoke everywhere....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
What does MVAC chill mean?

The rocket engines run on LOX/kerosene mix called RP-1 ( only $94 a gallon ) which is -297 degrees so they have to bring the whole system down to that temp to prevent thermal shock...the MVAC chill means they are cooling down parts of the engines to prevent thermal issues....the second stage uses a single Merlin engine so they have to chill it even though by the time the second stage is ready to go they are 100 km up and temps are -130 but that's still too warm since LOX boils at -297...

The rocket has something around 46k gallons of LOX and 30k gallons of RP-1 on board when it launches....it uses that up in around 8 mins, that's insane to me.....or to look at it another way assuming you had a standard 15 gallon fuel tank on your car, and you filled it up twice a week, that amount of fuel this rocket uses in 8 mins would last you 48 YEARS.......

This video shows it, notice the pipe on the left that is white, its covered in frost because its pumping LOX into the internal components of the engine to prevent thermal shock....try to keep a eye on it the entire test its always white even though there is a firing rocket engine 3 ft away because its constantly pumping LOX to the engine.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Sending 4 citizens up in possibly less than an hour. 3 days looping around the globe. I don't know 3 people I could spend that time with and not give the silent treatment to. Props to these folks. Very high orbit.