Southern flounder bill introduced in Raleigh

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They Are saying the big ones are egg laying females so they want to keep those in the water.

A 12" flounder is see through, I don't agree with that one bit
12 inches is tiny. Not worth trying to filet.
I don't think a slot is a good thing for around here. I doubt many people I see and talk to would ever throw back a flounder bigger then 18"šŸ˜„

Delaware had crazy size limits for a few years. Could not keep anything under 21 inches I believe for a year. I did not see any increase in catches since then but some mighty big girls were landed for a while after regs went back down.
I can see how rec fishing has put a good dent in overall catches in Delaware. A low boat traffic days today is about what a packed day was years ago. Add in electronics and the internet and anyone can find the honey holes.
As much as I enjoy eating fish I catch, I would not complain if they closed it all down to catch and release only for a few years to see what would happen. commercial too.
But this will not happen. Fish stocks can not be managed properly by focusing on one species. If one link in the food chain is broken it will effect other links. Management needs to be managed as a whole. By limiting one species, you put higher pressure on others. It's a loosing battle all around.
Just my .02

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I think the SAFMC has declared southern flounder over fished everywhere

Only Georgia considers them not overfished/declining

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns

12 inches is tiny. Not worth trying to filet.
I don't think a slot is a good thing for around here. I doubt many people I see and talk to would ever throw back a flounder bigger then 18"šŸ˜„

Delaware had crazy size limits for a few years. Could not keep anything under 21 inches I believe for a year. I did not see any increase in catches since then but some mighty big girls were landed for a while after regs went back down.
I can see how rec fishing has put a good dent in overall catches in Delaware. A low boat traffic days today is about what a packed day was years ago. Add in electronics and the internet and anyone can find the honey holes.
As much as I enjoy eating fish I catch, I would not complain if they closed it all down to catch and release only for a few years to see what would happen. commercial too.
But this will not happen. Fish stocks can not be managed properly by focusing on one species. If one link in the food chain is broken it will effect other links. Management needs to be managed as a whole. By limiting one species, you put higher pressure on others. It's a loosing battle all around.
Just my .02

Problem is in NC is once they take, they don't give back

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Hell fire, Iā€™d take a cooler full of 12 inchers. Scaleā€™em, gutā€™em, cut their heads off and fry whole. They are superb!!!!!

That's the problem though....the cooler would only be full if it were a lunch bag d/t the amount you could keep.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
"On Thursday, the commission saw the latest results from that effort: in 2020, North Carolinians reeled in about half as many flounder as they did in 2017, but both groups have still been catching too many, with recreational fishermen bringing in three times the total number of flounder the plan allowed them."

How bad is the health of the stock if recs in 2020 caught half as many as 2017, but we did it in 45 days instead of an entire year.
Sounds like somebody needs to do a legit stock assessment before screwing the public out of more flounder

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
"On Thursday, the commission saw the latest results from that effort: in 2020, North Carolinians reeled in about half as many flounder as they did in 2017, but both groups have still been catching too many, with recreational fishermen bringing in three times the total number of flounder the plan allowed them."

How bad is the health of the stock if recs in 2020 caught half as many as 2017, but we did it in 45 days instead of an entire year.
Sounds like somebody needs to do a legit stock assessment before screwing the public out of more flounder

They don't actually know anything, just blindly throwing numbers out there

TH80

Eight Pointer
How do they come up with the numbers rec fisherman catch? I can see how they would know more of what commercial catches but I have never had anyone count whatā€™s in my cooler

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
How do they come up with the numbers rec fisherman catch? I can see how they would know more of what commercial catches but I have never had anyone count whatā€™s in my cooler
That's what I'm asking. I've never had to open a cooler or fill out a fishing survey.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Random dockside sampling of a few vessels. Then they multiply that number by all the filled parking spots at the ramp.šŸ¤£
Im only partly jokingšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¬
They use the term "extrapolate" and more often than not it's just a wild azz guess in spreadsheet form to look more professional.

Last edited:

TH80

Eight Pointer
I figured just a wild guess on what they want it to be. Iā€™ll still go but if I canā€™t keep them then I wonā€™t go as much. Iā€™m going tomorrow for fun and some relaxation

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I like eating 12"-13" flounder, filleted, battered and fried crispy. I would have to say, we probably won't be able to keep any after 2028, if this bill passes.

I also think that half as many fish was caught in a short season as in an entire year. Maybe they are more fish now!

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I like eating 12"-13" flounder, filleted, battered and fried crispy. I would have to say, we probably won't be able to keep any after 2028, if this bill passes.

I also think that half as many fish was caught in a short season as in an entire year. Maybe they are more fish now!
We've been catching 10-15 legal size fish every time we have fished behind the house for trout this year. They dang sure aint in short supply.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
A friend of mine who fishes regularly out towards SQ says he's never caught so many flounder in his life and he's not even fishing for them but trout.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can see how the 45 day season could account for half the flounder caught in an entire year. It was a short season but like deer season, people fished it harder.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I can see how the 45 day season could account for half the flounder caught in an entire year. It was a short season but like deer season, people fished it harder.

It also rained alot....so it was nowhere near a 45 day season. They are pissing in the wind with their "estimated" catch by recs.