South Mountains Game Lands

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
I read were folks don't think there is much happening in the south mountains but I gotta ask......

I moved here from south Georgia almost seven years ago and have only been hunting in South Carolina with my dad and brother-in-law. Unfortunately my brother-in-law passed away two years ago and the land went to a lease program.

I decided to try and hunt the south mountains since they are close by but I have no idea where to start. Kind of looking for someone that might be interested in getting me started on where to go. Just looking for some solitude with my Winchester.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
CRC told me that place is covered up in deer.
And elk and grouse😁😁. To poster we're just kidding around. Best advice we can give you is pull up gameland maps find some out way areas and go looking for sign no real spots are that much greater than others deer numbers are fair that cc rd he mentioned will be heavily used when rifle opens same with roper hollar if on those expect lots company.

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
And elk and grouse😁😁. To poster we're just kidding around. Best advice we can give you is pull up gameland maps find some out way areas and go looking for sign no real spots are that much greater than others deer numbers are fair that cc rd he mentioned will be heavily used when rifle opens same with roper hollar if on those expect lots company.
Thanks, I just didnt want to go walking up on folks trying to hunt. Figured I'd go about noon saturday, find a spot to park and walk around. Although I did purchase a license, not really equipped to go deep and kill, just go deep and enjoy...lol

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Seriously there are 22,000 acres of mountainous terrain to explore and walk around.

The wildlife folks burn that area around the CC Road pretty frequently to create browse and food for deer and birds.

As well as putting in some food plots. You can see the food plots on Google earth, ect to find them faster, before you go.

Google earth data from the NCWRC can be found here:

Last edited:

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
I should be headed that way around noon tomorrow just to look around. Probably park around the church and walk the road up for about a mile or so and look at what trails lead up the ridge. I may check out the food plots too if I don't see any vehicles in the area.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I should be headed that way around noon tomorrow just to look around. Probably park around the church and walk the road up for about a mile or so and look at what trails lead up the ridge. I may check out the food plots too if I don't see any vehicles in the area.
Won't be to much hunting pressure till Mon its archery right now. Next week especially toward end week will be busy but there is enough land to get away but I wouldn't count on the food plots being the areas to get away from people. Rub lines be easy find with enough walking find hard get to area can almost bet if you get in early you won't be bothered

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm supposing you are talking about the one day either-sex season. I've never been out there but I would guess the deer population probably couldn't staand multiple days of doe season.

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
I'm supposing you are talking about the one day either-sex season. I've never been out there but I would guess the deer population probably couldn't staand multiple days of doe season.

The way the regulation is printed, I only thought there was one day....maybe they forgot to add Buck days. The South Mountains has both listed while Pisgah only has one listed.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Still not following Bryan. What do you mean by "two whole days"? I appears to me you are trying to read too quickly or something. Look at the general regulations for deer season dates. It will be broken down to archery, black powder and gun. Then go to the general game land regulations and read up, then go to the specific gameland for rules specific to that gameland.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Sorry, it is taking me a while to soak up all the jibberish. I see it now in the title....

Either-Sex Seasons and Other Rules Applying to Individual Game Lands​

So Doe day is the 27th and opening Buck day is delayed until the 22nd for the South Mountains...two whole days!

I moved here from Georgia 6 years ago....this is what I used to hunt...Firearms Oct. –Jan.
South Mountains :

SOUTH MOUNTAINS GAME LAND – BURKE, CLEVELAND, MCDOWELL AND RUTHERFORD COUNTIES​

Seven-day-per-week area.
Gun Deer Season: Nov. 22 – Dec. 11 in all portions of the game land.
Gun Either-Sex Deer Season: Nov. 27 (introductory season) in all portions of the game land.

Looks like you can hunt antlered from Nov 22-Dec 11. However on the 27th, that’s your chance to hunt antlerless

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Coming from the Melton side on the "Old CC" road, and following the road to the left that's gated at the last parking area, you'll find more Bear sign than Deer sign but there are some Deer in there, and it'll take some work to pattern them. You just gotta walk a pretty good distance (2-3 miles at a minimum).

But these are more of what we saw when we used to hike and scout that area:
Screenshot_20211121-091259_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
Still not following Bryan. What do you mean by "two whole days"? I appears to me you are trying to read too quickly or something. Look at the general regulations for deer season dates. It will be broken down to archery, black powder and gun. Then go to the general game land regulations and read up, then go to the specific gameland for rules specific to that gameland.

Last edited:

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
Coming from the Melton side on the "Old CC" road, and following the road to the left that's gated at the last parking area, you'll find more Bear sign than Deer sign but there are some Deer in there, and it'll take some work to pattern them. You just gotta walk a pretty good distance (2-3 miles).

But these are more of what we saw when we used to hike and scout that area:
View attachment 79186

NICE!!!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Let me try to start over.

Based on this link: https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Hunting/Season Date PDFs/2021-22 Deer Season.pdf, Northwestern Deer Season starts on Nov 20th, thru Jan 1st. I assume the South Mountain Game Lands are in this category.

Based on further regulations here: https://www.eregulations.com/northcarolina/hunting/regulations-for-specific-game-lands, the South Mountain Game Lands do not open until Nov 22nd, thru Dec 11th.

Based on even further regulations here: https://www.eregulations.com/northcarolina/hunting/general-game-lands-regulations, Sunday hunting on game lands is prohibited between 9:30am till after 12:30pm.

I am still trying to learn where to park, walk, etc. until actually entering game land property.

This year is my learning curve, just trying not to get nailed in the process.....and I only have a few days pending work schedule.
The first thing you need establish is what section of state your hunting then look at public and go to book and look up gameland information and south mtn is in WESTERN section so its archery till Monday morning then gun opens 22nd till Dec 11th with one die day on 27th

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The first thing you need establish is what section of state your hunting then look at public and go to book and look up gameland information and south mtn is in WESTERN section so its archery till Monday morning then gun opens 22nd till Dec 11th with one die day on 27th

No South Mountains has its own set of dates apart from the western and northwestern dates.

They mostly, but not always, align with the western deer season dates

Follow the dates in the game lands section for South Mountains

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Let me try to start over.

Based on this link: https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Hunting/Season Date PDFs/2021-22 Deer Season.pdf, Northwestern Deer Season starts on Nov 20th, thru Jan 1st. I assume the South Mountain Game Lands are in this category.

Based on further regulations here: https://www.eregulations.com/northcarolina/hunting/regulations-for-specific-game-lands, the South Mountain Game Lands do not open until Nov 22nd, thru Dec 11th.

Based on even further regulations here: https://www.eregulations.com/northcarolina/hunting/general-game-lands-regulations, Sunday hunting on game lands is prohibited between 9:30am till after 12:30pm.

I am still trying to learn where to park, walk, etc. until actually entering game land property.

This year is my learning curve, just trying not to get nailed in the process.....and I only have a few days pending work schedule.
I think you were originally thinking it was in NW section which did open gun yesterday. Each gameland you have look up individually because some will be in more than one county and may even have parts of it in each section so there is where they will spell it out for you. It can for sure get you mixed up on those pieces so go by that section on gameland info and if ever have any doubt ask a wildlife officer or call and they will tell you or put you with someone to tell you.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
No South Mountains has its own set of dates apart from the western and northwestern dates.

They mostly, but not always, align with the western deer season dates

Follow the dates in the game lands section for South Mountains
So when they didn't go with westetn not that I don't Know the answer since I been hunting it for over 20 years