Sous vide

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
OK fill me in. I am going to have one of these. I'm thinking I might go with the best as long as the price is not crazy.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Anova with Bluetooth. Paired with the app on your phone is pretty fool proof. It’s by far the best way to cook game meat.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Well you are not gonna shame me. Makes perfect sense to prep your venison and then hit it with the flames or the griddle. I like to eat good food.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I've tried it a few times, but I did it the redneck way. Cooler with hot water. I wanted to see if all the fuss was worth spending any money on a real one.

I decided against it, as I like straight charcoal better.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't think I'm going to use my phone to cook anything. Just like I'm not going to hook my fridge up to the internet so it can tell me what I put on the grocery list.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Looking to dip my toe into this as well but wasn't sold so far on the investment for a good unit.

The "downside" I've heard on the prep is that meat can come out a little "mushy".

Have y'all had that problem?

Otherwise, it seems pretty hard to beat as a set-and-forget option for roasts and whatnot...

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Looking to dip my toe into this as well but wasn't sold so far on the investment for a good unit.

The "downside" I've heard on the prep is that meat can come out a little "mushy".

Have y'all had that problem?

Otherwise, it seems pretty hard to beat as a set-and-forget option for roasts and whatnot...
If it's sealed in a bag and finished properly it's not mushy. I suppose if you left it in there for a really long time the meat would break down enough and the texture would change. The best part about using it is that I can cook a full meal and never have to worry about timing the meat to be done with everything else. Once it's cooked it will hold until you are ready to put the sear on it.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hanger steak for 48 hrs got wierd for me. If it’s thin, I SV a few hours, thick, goes low and slow.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
Sous vide literally means under vacuum.

It works well with steaks and fatty fish like salmon, tuna, Striper, halibut... I like to sous vide yellow fin for a couple hours at 126 with ginger, scallion, soy sauce and charred onion. Slice for great sushi

Venison works well too at 126 for 4 to 5 hours. Shitake mushroom, pepper corn, onion, celery, carrot, thyme and butter in the bag. Grill on a hot grill after 5 hours.

Then there is poaching eggs in the shell.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So to those of us who just had to google it, lol, what this does is you set a temp (say 130) and anything you put inside that bag into water will slowly go from room temp, all the way to the center, without any part of it going OVER 130?

I hate to say it, but isn't that the desired way to "cook" meats?

I just bought a giant ceramic so I'm not buying this for a long long time.

But I kind of understand the logic. I wonder how long in Raleigh before an all vous side restaurant opens up? ALthough waiting out a ribeye for 2 hours doesn't seem like a sound business plan.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
Sous video has been around for 11 years or so. There are plenty of restaurants who sous vide, including mine. We sous vide for 5 hours and the wait is actually shorter because the meat is mostly cooked and just needs to get a char from the grill or sear from a saute pan. The real fun is getting the health department to let something sit for five hours at 130.

The immersion circulator is not a replacement for a ceramic grill and in fact works well in tandem.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
OH, that's gonna be an EPIC post lol. I'm still writing it up, 4 months later lol.

But the reason I BOUGHT the thing was kind of similar to what this seems to do. Making me feel a little out of touch.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I've only used it once and was pleased with the results. The deer I used ended up being much more tender than if I had used any other method. They were vacuum sealed and frozen. I would like to experiment with seasoning in the bag and also perfecting the post sous vide flavoring methods like searing and grilling.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Here's the rabbit hole, good luck Alice. (This guy is probably the best you'll find online at explaining and sharing recipes.)