Source for pork fatback for venison sausage?

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Where do you get your pork fatback for making venison sausage? No grocery store butcher seems to have anything that works.

I’m in Durham/RTP
Thanks!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Nahunta Pork Center at the state farmers market in Raleigh. I'm sure they will have plenty but it wouldn't hurt to call ahead a day or so and check. They will probably bring in whatever you need if it isn't in the shop already.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I go to food lion when they advertise pork shoulders (butts) on sale for $.99 per lb and buy a couple . Mix 1/2 venison 1/2 pork for almost all my sausage. Always comes out real good . Its hard to find pork fat for me locally but again food lion gives me beef trimings for free that I use for summer sausage and burger . I use about 20% fat to 80% venison . You can also use this same ratio in sausage just add sage , salt ,black pepper and some crusted red pepper to make a good sausage but the pork makes a better sausage. Hope this helps ,Good luck

strut buster

Eight Pointer
In the Winston Area Ogburn Station meat market has really good beef trimmings (95% dense fat) and pretty good pork trimmings. The pork is not all (or even most) true back fat, but it's clean and grinds well. Also, there is a difference between fatback (salted and cured) vs. back fat (thick layer of clean, unsalted, pure, fat above the loin).

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I go to food lion when they advertise pork shoulders (butts) on sale for $.99 per lb and buy a couple . Mix 1/2 venison 1/2 pork for almost all my sausage. Always comes out real good . Its hard to find pork fat for me locally but again food lion gives me beef trimings for free that I use for summer sausage and burger . I use about 20% fat to 80% venison . You can also use this same ratio in sausage just add sage , salt ,black pepper and some crusted red pepper to make a good sausage but the pork makes a better sausage. Hope this helps ,Good luck
This is what we do. If it's a young deer I use a little less pork.