Sound Hunting Legalities (Hyde Co)

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
CountryRN's post got me thinking. My wifes gmother lives in Hyde Co around Englehard and her land backs up to the sound. There is also a private boat ramp I think her grandmother could get us access too for the hunting season. So I am wondering, what are the legalities of me putting my boat in the water and driving down the channel out to the corner of the sound and posting up for some hunting? I have looked in the NCwildlife book for rules for Hyde County and from what I remember all I could really find was stuff like 500 yard blind laws or something like that.

Tony Hawkins

Eight Pointer
Gull Rock gameland is right there, and I have had good luck hunting divers there. If they have a blind rule up there, you can count on 3 tomato stakes and burlap every 500 yards that will never have a hunter sit in them.

Mathews Archer

Six Pointer
Hyde does not have any blind laws, so your golden in that regards. They do have the Swan Quarter National Wildlife Refuge near Gull Rock. Some of the refuge you can hunt and some you can't. If your going to be around Engelhard, you should be fine. I have heard some horror story's about a crazy guy in Wysocking Bay though.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Hyde does not have any blind laws, so your golden in that regards. They do have the Swan Quarter National Wildlife Refuge near Gull Rock. Some of the refuge you can hunt and some you can't. If your going to be around Engelhard, you should be fine. I have heard some horror story's about a crazy guy in Wysocking Bay though.

Is that fool still there after all these years? Lol...

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I continue to be intrigued, but no story as of yet. I certainly do not want to run into some gun wielding moron is all.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Swanquarter west of gull rock has become overrun. I have to get up real early and spread my guys out just to keep everyone off of us. The hunting hasnt even been that good but a few people r running their mouths and now there are more people than I have ever seen. People hunt in the no hunt zones as well and dont care

Gus

Six Pointer
There was (still is , I guess) a guy who owns a good deal of marsh around Wysocking Bay and is serious about keeping folks, especially duck hunters, off his property. He has a local guy who watches the property. Often newbies get bored after a few hours of hunting and decide to take a walk, look around, beachcombe, etc. Bad idea-stay in your boat off the bank. The marsh guard has, on several occasions, pulled up and loosed rounds from an AK-47. Not at anybody, but seems to get their attention.

One of the biggest mistakes folks coming to hunt the coast make is to assume no one is watching. The whole area seems empty, no other hunters around, no houses..... 'we won't bother anyone if we walk around a little, or pull up a crab pot just to see whats in there, or shoot a gull for the dog' etc etc. Odds are somebody- crabber, marsh guard, fisherman, property owner is aware of your presence and anything you are doing.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
sound hunting legalities (Hyde Co)

CountryRN's post got me thinking. My wifes gmother lives in Hyde Co around Englehard and her land backs up to the sound. There is also a private boat ramp I think her grandmother could get us access too for the hunting season. So I am wondering, what are the legalities of me putting my boat in the water and driving down the channel out to the corner of the sound and posting up for some hunting? I have looked in the NCwildlife book for rules for Hyde County and from what I remember all I could really find was stuff like 500 yard blind laws or something like that.

Of the best 7 counties to waterfowl hunt in NC, Hyde is the most friendly to people hunting public water. Currituck, Dare, Pamlico and Carteret have onerous and unconstitutional blind laws.
Best public launches are Engelhard (hunt north toward Long Shoal River), Oyster Creek (good access to Juniper Bay and Great Island) and Rose Bay. All are great WRC Ramps with plenty of parking.

There are 3 private ramps on Wysocking Bay. Which ramp can you get access to? Great Ditch/Nebraska Road? Gull Rock? or the Old Gibbs Landing.

I know the old Gibbs landing does sell a very limited number of keys for fishermen but the people that own it rarely let anyone use it for waterfowl hunting, two sons are prominent local waterfowl guides and they do not want competition.

Wysocking is not that good a place to hunt. all of the shoreline is private so you cannot get out of your boat. It is very shallow close to shore so you can get badly stuck on a tide shift. Bottom is deep muck, will keep your waders. Hunted it a few times last year and did not see a bluebill.

Most of the sound front around Englehard is open for hunting as is the national Refuge at Swansquarter, and the Gull Rock Gamelands. Smoked a lot teal and widgeon near Englehard.

Most locals hunt Juniper Bay down to Swansquater. More Redheads, BB's and cans.

JD1107

Thanks for all the info! Got some new spots I guess I need to check out this year!! I love me some teal and widgeon! :wave:

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Smitty, I tried to respond to your PM but I do not have enough post to PM yet.

I live near your spot and would be happy to talk with you if you PM your phone number.

TARPONCHASER

Button Buck
sound hunting legalities (Hyde Co)

Of the best 7 counties to waterfowl hunt in NC, Hyde is the most friendly to people hunting public water. Currituck, Dare, Pamlico and Carteret have onerous and unconstitutional blind laws.
Best public launches are Engelhard (hunt north toward Long Shoal River), Oyster Creek (good access to Juniper Bay and Great Island) and Rose Bay. All are great WRC Ramps with plenty of parking.

There are 3 private ramps on Wysocking Bay. Which ramp can you get access to? Great Ditch/Nebraska Road? Gull Rock? or the Old Gibbs Landing.

I know the old Gibbs landing does sell a very limited number of keys for fishermen but the people that own it rarely let anyone use it for waterfowl hunting, two sons are prominent local waterfowl guides and they do not want competition.

Wysocking is not that good a place to hunt. all of the shoreline is private so you cannot get out of your boat. It is very shallow close to shore so you can get badly stuck on a tide shift. Bottom is deep muck, will keep your waders. Hunted it a few times last year and did not see a bluebill.

Most of the sound front around Englehard is open for hunting as is the national Refuge at Swansquarter, and the Gull Rock Gamelands. Smoked a lot teal and widgeon near Englehard.

Most locals hunt Juniper Bay down to Swansquater. More Redheads, BB's and cans.
Hydemarsh... would you be open to a side bar on this subject from a few years back? Got a few questions I'd love your take on if so.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
You might want to try PM’ing him, haven’t seen him on any thread in a long time although he apparently checked in about 6 weeks ago. Used to be a regular contributor here.

TARPONCHASER

Button Buck
That made sense to me but couldn't figure out to do in this interface...
I too, saw he was around back in December so thought I would give it a shot. Trying find someone familiar with the Hyde/sound area that I can connect with to make sure I know the rules... like looking for the proverbial needle on WRC sites...

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
He knows why gull rock is private! And i have not heard much out of shrimp boat Joseph in a while. Last time I saw him he was shooting pelicans off a sign in ocracoke that were crapping on his boat. He does/did own a full functioning cannon. Gull rock did /does have its own militia 👍

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Hydemarsh disappeared from all the forums like a fart in the wind.........just like the ducks did from hyde county years ago. I haven't hunted down there in 3-4 years.......what blind laws are in place now just out of curiosity? I remember there being a big deal about them a couple years ago.