Soooo my 14 year old Trane heatpump has died

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
The compressors are made by three companies mainly. It doesnt matter what kind you get. Alot more important is how it is installed. I have seen systems from every company last 25 years and I have seen DOA's from every company.
It may surprise you that with everyone promoting high SEER units I installed a single stage 13 SEER package unit and a 13 SEER split unit on my house in 2011 from Goodman. They have a 10 year parts warranty and when the warranty is out if my fan quits I can go to the parts house in town and bit a new one for around 100-150. The new "efficient"units have variable speed fans and two stage compressors. After your warranty is out and you have to replace one you just lost every dime you saved with its efficiency. I also find the lower SEER units last longer. I can replace both of these units again and still pay less than one of the 20 SEER super duper models.
The heat exchanger is what your 20 year warranty is on Conman. The rest of the units parts are ten year like everybody else usually. I have never had a question asked to me about any replacement part on a Goodman Firefly. If its registered they send a new part.
Good luck guys! They definitely are not made like they used to be.
Definitely replace both ends if it is an R22 unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 12yo, single Goodman heat pump w/ gas heat, running 2 zones and it's been pretty good. Heat exchanger rusted out under warranty and was replaced for free. One of my buddies has a theory that it's better to undersize and make it run more often.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
we bought a new construction house in 2014. one of those cookie cutter neighborhoods where there's a few different floor plans to choose from but the houses all look pretty similar.

The builder used Goodman for the entire neighborhood. Those units gave nothing but trouble for the entire neighborhood. It's been a while so the details are spotty (moved out in 2019). Stuff like compressors, fan motors, damper controls, etc going bad, all on houses that were less than 3 years old. Based on the entire neighborhood having these issues i wouldn't recommend Goodman to my enemies. It's reasonable to have a warranty issue with x% of units sold, but in that neighborhood full of Goodmans probably 50% of them had warranty work done to them very early in their typical lifespan.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I was asking around I was told that Rheem was the one to choose, so I chose Trane. Never again. I've had nothing but under warranty problems for the two years I've had this expensive hunk of junk. A coils replaced, mother boards replaced, switches replaced, a fan motor that USED to ramp up and down and sounded like a jet engine at take off, all on a very expensive unit that I was talked into but warned against.
If I had to replace mine now it would be with a Coleman or similar, whatever was cheapest with the best warranty because the warranty is what's going to make the difference more than the name on the unit.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
We built our house 22 years ago and went with Trane heat and ac, everything still works but had to have a service visit last week for the ac, freon leak.
It's about time to replace everything and the service man recommended Trane or Goodman.
I'm going with Trane.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
we bought a new construction house in 2014. one of those cookie cutter neighborhoods where there's a few different floor plans to choose from but the houses all look pretty similar.

The builder used Goodman for the entire neighborhood. Those units gave nothing but trouble for the entire neighborhood. It's been a while so the details are spotty (moved out in 2019). Stuff like compressors, fan motors, damper controls, etc going bad, all on houses that were less than 3 years old. Based on the entire neighborhood having these issues i wouldn't recommend Goodman to my enemies. It's reasonable to have a warranty issue with x% of units sold, but in that neighborhood full of Goodmans probably 50% of them had warranty work done to them very early in their typical lifespan.
Everything in neighborhoods like this are junk. Lowest bid means corners cut to make as much profit as possible.
Some GC's are worse than others.
Have one going up across the street and it is criminal what I witness them doing.
All the customers have to do is drive through the older parts of the subdivision and see the issues with homes just a couple years old. I don't think there is a roof in the older parts that has not had issues. drainage is horrible. But people still buy them.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
So what did you get? How did it last. Digging this post up from the grave. I am in the market as of recently! Crap is gonna cut into my fishing money! Who did you use? I am getting a few quotes. Wrong week for this to happen. I am out every day early and the Mrs. Is busy!!!!!
I went with Goodman units and they have been great for the money spent compared to the trane units they replaced.
I used ed miller/delta t for the install.
I think he sold the business a while back, but the guy that owns it worked for ed for years, and is pretty good.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I have a Carrier that is 26 years old. Only needed a few capacitors. I got quotes to replace it in the winter but I figured I might as well just let it go cause I can deal with being hot better than being cold if it dies. If it dies I can probably have it replaced in a few days.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I installed HVAC systems for over twenty five years using most major manufacturers other than trane. Sold and installed goodman,carrier,bryant,payne,hiel,york and even some lesser known brands but majority of systems I installed was with Goodman equipment. Other than the copper aluminum coils all these brands use the same generic components like motors,compressors, circuit boards so most failures are from the manufacturers of these components not the brand itself. I have had good luck with goodman even have one installed in my mother's house from 1992 when they were called janitrol only replaced a capacitor so far

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I went with Goodman units and they have been great for the money spent compared to the trane units they replaced.
I think he sold the business a while back, but the guy that owns it worked for ed for years, and is pretty good.
Nice ! Decided on Goodman. Highly recommend. Armstrong gave us a good price and Mama bear knows the family, so I feel good about that. And they can fit me in Friday before the heat rolls in. Glad I got that new Woodhaven turkey call on sale last week and re-upped my zman stock.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Everything in neighborhoods like this are junk. Lowest bid means corners cut to make as much profit as possible.
Some GC's are worse than others.
Have one going up across the street and it is criminal what I witness them doing.
All the customers have to do is drive through the older parts of the subdivision and see the issues with homes just a couple years old. I don't think there is a roof in the older parts that has not had issues. drainage is horrible. But people still buy them.

Oh, I don't disagree with this at all. We bought the house knowing we were going to relocated back to our hometown after a few years, so we wanted something easy to sell when the time came. Worked as planned and sold it after 5 years of ownership with full asking price offer within 24 hours of the house hitting the market as a FSBO.

"Everything in neighborhoods like this are junk. Lowest bid means corners cut to make as much profit as possible."
-They used Goodman...

mtnhunter280

Button Buck
The vast majority of units use a Emerson company scroll compressor and since most brands have been bought or sold in the last few years there are essentially 3 companies making all the units normally seen.All have moved to aluminum coils,some with copper components in the mix but mostly all aluminum.These companies are simply parts assemblers now using various components from a whole raft of suppliers.
Most offer the same warranties so go with a company you feel comfortable with and realize that,like others have said,getting 10 plus years out of a system,will be the norm.Anything past that and count yourself lucky.