something to think on

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Emily agrees. She's a big deal in the turkey decline world. Search and you can find a bunch of statements on the negative impact of insecticides.
But then our coastal regions says hello with a booming population in the midst of constant insecticiding. 🤷‍♂️

I've got/read studies on both ends - some say declines, some say that generally populations are static,,,

I don't know

really just threw it out as a possibility,,,

haven't seen the first grasshopper this year - and I spend hours each day in the woods/fields around here

maybe they are all on my left side??? pirate.png

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Plenty of skeeters and bugs down east towards the sounds. Let the wind slack off and they will eat you alive...

But I have noticed an overall "shortage" of bugs in my areas. It's been really dry here, so skeeters are almost non existent in places. I know a good tropical system will have them jacked up like the scooby doo boys on scooby snacks and brother Biden on soft serve.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sure can not tell there is a shortage of bugs by looking at the front of my vehicles and I do not drive that much at night anymore. And no better than the DOT mows the shoulders on any roads other than the interstates, there is plenty of cover for the bugs and other small critters.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Sure can not tell there is a shortage of bugs by looking at the front of my vehicles and I do not drive that much at night anymore. And no better than the DOT mows the shoulders on any roads other than the interstates, there is plenty of cover for the bugs and other small critters.
Wad noticing the shoulders myself they are waist high in places guess they got labor shortages to

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Hadn't really thought about it, but you may be onto something...

A clear-cut section of our club was scheduled to be replanted this spring. As luck would have it, they brought a helicopter in to spray the cut on the 1st Monday of turkey season. I always knew that birds would move away from a recent spray but its been 7 weeks now and the turkeys will not go into that cut.
We were there this weekend and their tracks in the roads told the story.

After that spraying there have no bugs...period.
I never fired up the thermacell all season. Never bothered by flies. While walking the lease this weekend we never saw a grasshopper or ground bug. Didnt wear treated clothes and never saw a tick.

All the hens seemed to have moved across the road to our other section for now, even though the nesting and brood cover is better where they sprayed. Go figure.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Dr. Grant Woods had a video about this very subject last spring that was very thought provoking. I believe farming practices whether it be herbicide/pesticide treatment or ill timed cutting has got to have a huge effect on wildlife populations. The problem is there isn't much we can do about it.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I think it’s probably a logical route.

No doubt pesticide use is very high. Especially in heavy agriculture areas or areas with lots of people.

I guess since I spend most of my time in the mountains (little ag, not as many people) I don’t notice “fewer bugs.” Seems to be plenty where I hang out.

I will tell you this. Since I moved to the golf course, I have noticed I don’t hear hardly any crickets anymore. My old house was only 7 minutes up the road and the crickets could be deafening at night. Here, I can’t think of when I last heard one.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so I was picking up some trash that someone dropped off their vehicles in an area I train in

picked up a box, and lo and behold, some grasshoppers doing the nasty,,,(sorry for lousy closeup)

might be hope yet (y)

5AC423EB-7E4D-4005-86D0-71AF2C24B406.jpeg