something to think on

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
all the talk on the "why" of turkey declines got me to thunking (past perfect form of think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bwahahahahahaha)

no seriously - bugs

we all know (well most of us) that poults/turkeys/quail chicks NEED insects

ever pay attention to how many are really out there any more? With all the pesticides etc, the overall population is way down across the country - cept maybe fireants

don't see the lightning bugs, don't see near the most anything bugs - heck even lady bugs in the fall aren't as bad slipping into my camp as they used to for the winter

I don't know, but sure seems like a possibility

wonder if I can get some of that extra govt money to fund a research project? Hire me a few NC State co-eds and do some research on it,,,,, :unsure:

GUP

Eight Pointer
Honestly never really considered that. I can see that being very possible. You may be on to something.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
me and a buddy from up north were talking about this last night. Not the Turkey decline but lack of bugs. Of course were were not bitching like you about it....šŸ˜œšŸ¤£

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
When you give thus a good hard think it makes perfect sense. I know when we've planted spring plots or even mowed clover the grasshopper and other critters don't seem to be flying around like they used to.

I've seen the time you just about needed a mask to keep from getting dive bombed.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
all the talk on the "why" of turkey declines got me to thunking (past perfect form of think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bwahahahahahaha)

no seriously - bugs

ever pay attention to how many are really out there any more? With all the pesticides etc, the overall population is way down across the country - cept maybe fireants

don't see the lightning bugs, don't see near the most anything bugs - heck even lady bugs in the fall aren't as bad slipping into my camp as they used to for the winter

wonder if I can get some of that extra govt money to fund a research project? Hire me a few NC State co-eds and do some research on it,,,,, :unsure:
The decline in insects has been implicated with regard to general bird population declines and I think that certainly could be a big part of poults failing to survive. I started driving a car in 1969. Back then the windshields of cars were daily splattered by flying insects, especially driving at night. I almost never find dead insects on the windshield or front grill on my pickup now.

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
I've noticed this too. A couple of years ago if I was driving through a field with grown hay the front end of the four wheeler would be absolutely covered in bugs, nearly every square inch. Now that is not the case, there will be a few here and there but nothing like it was even 4-5 years ago.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns

no seriously - bugs

Good observationā€¦

on a side note, hire me and I will personally study the # of bugs I see from sunup to sunrise during deer season and turkey season and give detailed reportsšŸ˜‚

ps We should start a organization called ā€œBLMā€ ( Bugs Lives Matter)

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
So Covid killed the bugs? Ha

I think your question makes sense. So if you did the study and found out it was a shortage of bugs, what would the solution be?

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I had regular photos of field birds prior to the season. Once it was sprayed with insecticide they vanished. It was a grasshopper buffet.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have attributed the lack of bugs on my property to owning a flock of chickens. They really put a hammering on them. Never really thought about it being more widespread, come to think of it, my windshield stays pretty clean these days.

On a side note, having a garden, I have been very concerned with the lack of bee sightings. I got all excited yesterday morning when I saw a couple bees flying around in my garden.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
@woodmoose i was ā€œthunderingā€ (past form of the coveted think/ponder combo) bout this recently and have noticed the same. Not in the scope of just turkeys but overall. I find myself doing that a lot lately when it comes to getting rid of a ā€œpestā€ or some type of plant I donā€™t find value in. Been taking a pause and thinking ā€œhmmm before I try to wipe that out, I better think about what likes to eat it.ā€

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@woodmoose i was ā€œthunderingā€ (past form of the coveted think/ponder combo) bout this recently and have noticed the same. Not in the scope of just turkeys but overall. I find myself doing that a lot lately when it comes to getting rid of a ā€œpestā€ or some type of plant I donā€™t find value in. Been taking a pause and thinking ā€œhmmm before I try to wipe that out, I better think about what likes to eat it.ā€
When I thunder I get funny looks from the wife. Never figure out that one. She lost her sense of smell two years ago when she fell on her face off the tailgate of my truck.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sat outside and watched the lightning bugs and was amazed how bright and how many. As good as some of the fireworks shows I've seen in the past. As far as Lady bugs go our cabin is ate up with them in the fall and early spring. I did some bush hogging Saturday and saw lots of grasshoppers. I guess if you want to live trap some and relocate them we can talk ;)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

no seriously - bugs

Emily agrees. She's a big deal in the turkey decline world. Search and you can find a bunch of statements on the negative impact of insecticides.
But then our coastal regions says hello with a booming population in the midst of constant insecticiding. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

no seriously - bugs

Donā€™t forget stinkbugsā€¦ thereā€™s PLENTY of those jokers to go around

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sat outside and watched the lightning bugs and was amazed how bright and how many. As good as some of the fireworks shows I've seen in the past. As far as Lady bugs go our cabin is ate up with them in the fall and early spring. I did some bush hogging Saturday and saw lots of grasshoppers. I guess if you want to live trap some and relocate them we can talk ;)

only if I get to use miniature cannon nets

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Years ago I was doing some maintenance on a few dump trucks and got swarmed by lady bugs. Actually had to stop because there were so many. They stick really well to grease, and kids covered in grease...šŸ˜„

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
The decline in insects has been implicated with regard to general bird population declines and I think that certainly could be a big part of poults failing to survive. I started driving a car in 1969. Back then the windshields of cars were daily splattered by flying insects, especially driving at night. I almost never find dead insects on the windshield or front grill on my pickup now.
Careful. Our resident libs will be calling for the banning of cars/trucks to save the bugs.