Somebody educate me on smoking a deer ham

justwin24

Six Pointer
Wrap in bacon and for whatever reason mine tasted the better the next day after it cooled down and was reheated. Generally took me 12 hours to smoke.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I wet brine mine overnight and then dry brine it the next day with a salt and sugar brine up until I put it on the smoker. With or without bacon your choice smoke at preference of heat to a internal temp of preference.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I've not brined mine. I'll put on a thick coat of whatever rub I'm wanting then let it sit in the fridge for several hours. I use the competition blend of pellets for smoke. I do spritz mine with 100% apple juice about once an hour. You simply can't buy better tasting precooked meat. I freeze it in vacuum packages pre sliced for sandwich meats. Freaking amazing stuff....20200911_115058.jpg

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
37498595-E195-485F-8D89-3DBA840DBD19.jpeg9874F3D6-BCB7-4283-BA9C-63EBB50953D9.jpeg
4hr sousvide at 130* after a day wet marinade
Then I just loosely foil wrapped on the grill at 400* and let it finish for 30 minutes or so.

Like a hybrid smoked/roasted.

It’s tasty and moist. Be good shaved with onions for Phillies or chipped and fried with salsa for tacos

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've not brined mine. I'll put on a thick coat of whatever rub I'm wanting then let it sit in the fridge for several hours. I use the competition blend of pellets for smoke. I do spritz mine with 100% apple juice about once an hour. You simply can't buy better tasting precooked meat. I freeze it in vacuum packages pre sliced for sandwich meats. Freaking amazing stuff....View attachment 56319
What internal temp are you targeting? That looks a lot like a hog ham.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Be sure to remove the lymph glands in the ham before smoking (or any other form of cooking). The main one is located on the inside side of the ham where the main muscles join. Dig around a bit and you will find a mass of connective tissue with the gland in the center. Removing it will do wonders for the taste. I think that is the main culprit associated with the term "gamey" when the glands are cut or disturbed before cooking.

Glad you posted this. The next deer ham will be smoked. (y)

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Be sure to remove the lymph glands in the ham before smoking (or any other form of cooking). The main one is located on the inside side of the ham where the main muscles join. Dig around a bit and you will find a mass of connective tissue with the gland in the center. Removing it will do wonders for the taste. I think that is the main culprit associated with the term "gamey" when the glands are cut or disturbed before cooking.

Glad you posted this. The next deer ham will be smoked. (y)

Exactly glad you brought this up. All you have to do is take one and cut into it to see how bad this could effect the meat.