Some of them just don’t grow!

hermiehunter

Four Pointer
I’ve had this guy on camera since 2014 for sure, possibly since 2013. His rack hasn’t changed a couple of inches in the past 4 years. 2016 was actually his best year, and he wasn’t much then.

I finally got him this year, hoping he’d blow up...but once again, he looks exactly the same. I believe him to be 6-1/2 this year!

AA991E08-0148-4C2A-8198-F172F51BE5CF.jpeg55474DE6-8B9B-438C-AB18-3B03A4B4FA0A.jpeg0D60F381-09E1-45FE-A6B0-EA015E74C588.jpeg9BCFF227-88AE-4B4A-B95E-8BC3B915B252.jpeg

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah we have a deer that now has the name "low profile" figure he is 6.5 and really hasn't shown much for growth, other than mass. Still a decent buck but not what we thought he would grow into

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Sometimes they just don't I've hunted one area that seems like just never really got any impressive pics even at night let them walk for 3 to 4 years and still nothing like ibsee in some pics posted on here

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think we have a close cousin of his on my little lease. Lots of pictures and confirmation sightings and it's confirmed that he's a big ol' corn fed boy with a lil ol' rack.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some don't. I've had 2 or 3 fully mature bucks on camera in the past 10 years that wouldn't go 100".

My opinion is the better potential deer get shot when they are younger, and these "scrubs" make it to old age because no one wants to burn a tag on them. There's a lot more than age that goes into producing a trophy.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Some don't. I've had 2 or 3 fully mature bucks on camera in the past 10 years that wouldn't go 100".

My opinion is the better potential deer get shot when they are younger, and these "scrubs" make it to old age because no one wants to burn a tag on them. There's a lot more than age that goes into producing a trophy.

I agree with this 100%. This is one of the concerns I had with the Eastern Zones going to 2 bucks. I have killed 4.5 year old deer that would not make 100". Most deer where I hunt seem to top out at 4.5 or 5 .5, usually with maybe a few inches in length and the largest difference with mass from when they were 3.5. I shoot them if I like them and don't worry about other peoples' thoughts. To many people want to age by antlers, if he don't sport 130+ inches he would have been nice in a couple years. Young (1.5 and 2.5) with nice racks usually get a pass though.

hermiehunter

Four Pointer
This buck, from what I’m told, was killed last week by a neighbor! I’m just had to know he moved during daylight! I haven’t gotten confirmation that it was him, but it sounds like he has finally been taken...

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Here's an old deer with little rack
bc39bd4bd2ad2510489c63e54f0f04c0.jpg
11bb425fef5cddfe44916efc2dcd22de.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CRC

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here's one I took a few years ago.I sent his teeth off for aging, came back 8 1/2 years old! I think I saw him 4 years earlier and passed him. I figured him as mature then and a 7 point (if it was the same deer).SUNP0053 - Version 2.jpg

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Most deer get killed before they make it to 4, if they do make it to 4 they are next to impossible to get a shot at. They know the woods they live in pretty darn good and they get pretty big bodies by then...