Soft hands make for good deals

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
So yesterday we got a foot or more of snow. I live on a corner lot to an elementary school and they ask that we keep the sidewalks clear for the kids. It took me around and hour and a half to shovel my driveway and sidewalk and I had made a comment on how nice a snowblower would have been.
Today I’m looking at Facebook and a post for a snowblower comes up in one of the local buy/sell groups. $75 and they state the auger doesn’t turn. The thing looks brand new and there’s only a handful of things that would cause that issue.
I ran 20 mins up the road and picked it up from a “tech” guy who could barely orient me on the control. He said the extended warranty went out and it was to much for him to deal with, might be $100 to get it fixed.
Started it in his driveway, verified it ran but no auger and loaded it up.
I got it home and took off the belt cover found this…10min and I’ve got a $600 snow blower for $75. I’m not sure why it still blows my mind at the ineptitude of men these days but I love the deals I’m getting.
0B7F8BCE-15D1-456C-A95E-528D767A2959.jpeg

A6215711-9391-400D-982C-CAF7B2D7E3F0.jpeg

A few months ago I found a delta table saw used for one project listed for free. Seller stated that the power switch might be bad. Actual problem was the motor overload tripped and the reset button needed to be pushed. Lord help us.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
So what was the final problem? Was there not enough tension on the belt or was the pulley out of alignment?

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
So what was the final problem? Was there no enough tension on the belt or was the pulley out of alignment?
Best I can tell the belt just jumped off. I ran it and blew snow for about 10 mins with the cover off to watch it and saw no issue. The auger is engaged when the lever pulls that idler wheel in thus taking out the slack in the belt. Edit, the guide bar on the top pulley is adjusted to far out allowing the belt to jump off when not engaged.

Last edited:

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
This generation of snowflake "techies" who grew up on a steady diet of video games don't have the brains of a brass monkey when it comes to hands-on mechanical stuff. A couple years back my son and his buddy were staying at our 2nd home with understanding that the buddy would stay rent-free if he would keep the grass mowed. Went down one weekend and buddy complained that our lawnmower was broken. Took me about 30 seconds to determine that the fuel tank was empty. Kid didn't have much of a response to that!

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
my first guess before scrolling was a belt, lol

I'm definitely a member of the soft hands club* these days, but I at least generally know my way around tools and equipment. Like you, I'm surprised at the number of adult males who can't hang a picture.

*I'd be lying if I said I was unaware of my precious, baby's-bottom smooth, tender palms each time I shook the hand of a hard-working blue-collar fella. LOL

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Not even smart enough to take to someone to have it fixed?? THAT is dummer than a box of rocks.....
Just a product of our "throw away society" I guess, and my history of electronics training. After fixing it I told him what was wrong and offered to give it back to him but he declined, thanked me and told me to keep it.

Turns out he had purchased a Harman Kardon to replace it....can't compete with money.

JayR

Four Pointer
Some people are just looking for an excuse to get rid of stuff. I know someone who traded their car in because it needed new brake discs. (Obviously they just wanted a new car)

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Mom told my daddys brother one time....this was after daddy died....when tires wore out on the car she would trade it in get a new one. Did just that.