So who is rocking the plaid this coming season?

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Break out Grampa's old hunting coat and hit the woods ;)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It is silly camoing up to sit in a tower, box or blind.
I really like a black broken pattern HUK light weight down jacket that is made for fishing. Incredibly warm , light and just the right length to protect your lower back.
I cant make myself wear in up in an exposed stand when i know it would work fine. Just a mental deal.
Deer ime cant find you if you dont smell or move.
I dont own any plaid but surely it "works" just fine.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
In one place, author says, "Ungulates see yellow, black, white, shades of gray and blue".
Then farther down, author says, "To deer, red looks green.". So...ungulates see green, also?

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had some blue paracord I used for my haul line. I sometimes would put it away but not always. I know now that even a little of it is like a bright strobe light telling them to haul butt away from me.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm an old guy, started hunting deer about 1970, and we wore plaid shirts. I remember a button buck that came to stand the length of my Marlin 35 lever action rifle from me. Yea, it was just a buck fawn but it stood there looking through me as I stood still watching his eyes not much more than 3 feet away from me. I wear camo now but for most of my deer hunting I could wear jeans and a t-shirt. I don't let get as close as I used to.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Always thought the plaid was a northern thing. Not something you saw around here in eastern N.C. Started hunting around 1963-64 so didn’t come up in the camo hype. Did have a foreigner come hunting one time with a member in the early 70s decked out in blaze orange coveralls. But growing up was all dog hunting with shotgun only. You wore what you worked in a lot of times

timber

Twelve Pointer
He probably heard how y’all shoot at anything that moves.

Well was good size club had thousands of acres of private land we hunted and killed a hell of a lot of deer. But to my knowledge the only one ever got shot was me. That wasn’t deer hunting we were dove hunting in September Guy had a old 00 buckshot mixed in that day. I caught one. Still carrying it around in my leg after about 50 years

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Dan Fitzgerald and Larry Benoit rocked them well into the era of camo.Fred Bear didn't have a choice unless it was the marine jungle fatigues that stuck out like a sore thumb. I remember buying faded surplus woodland camo fatigues, if I could have found green plaid back then it would have worked better. I wore an od green military trenchcoat that was probably Korean war era that worked pretty good in my area. Figured it made me look like a young cedar tree with my skinny legs sticking out the bottom, deer and squirrels would walk right by me while still hunting on wet leaves. I wonder if blue and black plaid would work?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My favorite hunting shirt is a green/tan plaid red head button down that my wife gave me from a discount sale for like $3. It’s a work shirt. Covered in oil, gas, chainsaw lube, and all kinds of exhaust gases.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Ain’t got nary fancy woolen plaid(they cost way to much no colder than it gets here)but I’ve killed a *couple* in jeans and a flannel shirt(y)

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
his cracks me up.,,,, folks getting all camo'd to hide in a house,,,,
i actually giggle to myself when layering up for deer hunting in November, the t-shirt is camo, the sweater is camo and the jacket is hunter orange - its about what i have on hand vs trying to trick a deer just in case it sees me in a tshirt lol

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've got a whole lot more warm camo hunting clothes than I do warm black hunting clothes, I ain't never been accused of being Johnny Cash when I'm out trying to kill a deer. That's why I wear camo to the box blind :cool: .
Heck even Johnny didn't wear black to hunt, or plaid, or camo....
View attachment 70291

Johnny sporting the Mannlicher stock,,, nice

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I still have grampas plaid hunting jacket!!! He passed in 1994. I need to kill one wearing his plaid coat and using his old .410 (slugs, he didn't use a rifle). Be the equivalent of pouring one out for my homies!!

The little 410 slugs pack surprising punch. I've found the most accurate to be Federal 2.5" 1/4 oz (109 gr) and Silver Bear 3" 97 gr slugs. I've shot several deer inside 35 yards and so far all have dropped.