so who has the most vacation time to take for deer season?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
My uncle and now his son somehow manage to manipulate state job into a november and december without much work.

Of course i am jealous but dang does it really take two months to kill two bucks? :)

Any way for you NON retirees, how many vacation days will you take to play with the deer?

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
I won't be taking any vacation (too young to have much accumulated!) but thankfully, I can hit the woods as soon as I have my stuff done and my hours in. I'll go on half day hunts and just stay late/come in early to make up the time, work 4-10's, work Sundays, whatever. Pretty dern flexible and I am super thankful for that.

Side note: My wife has had a state job for a few years and already has something like 12+ weeks of time she can take (various forms, vacation, comp time, etc). Makes me sick.

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Taking a week after Thanksgiving to go see the Mouse in Orlando. Other than that, may take the last Friday of the Va season.

brittonp83

Six Pointer
I'm using twelve days this season to make long weekends wherever I can. I get federal holidays like Veterans and Columbus day too. So that helps. If I hadn't had to burn 9 days in April to get married or taken time to go buy a boat then I would be burning all my days in season.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
I've already taken mine. I usually get 28 days total time off but we go on vacation spring summer and fall, so that doesn't leave me much time off just for hunting. I look to cut out one of those trips when my daughter graduates since her schedule conflicts with everyone elses during spring break. Then I'll have an extra 5 days in the fall to do with as I please.

The flip side is I get to hunt basically in the back yard so lots of early morning/afternoons I can sit for a few hours.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I could take off the whole season if I wanted to, I'm self employed. All my buddies think I've got it made, I can come and go as I please and hunt anytime I want to. Part of that is true...I can hunt anytime I want but the catch is if I'm in the woods I'm not at the car lot and I make a leaving selling cars not killing deer and hogs. I am very lucky in the fact that when I get ready to hunt I don't have to put in for time off or ask anyone, I just got. On the same side of that my vacation and time off isn't paid time off. I used to know some guys that had worked at the same company for over twenty years and had all kinds of paid time off built up and would take off the whole deer season and hunt and still get their checks!

HorNhnTr

Twelve Pointer
Just started my 10 days off... 8 still in the bank. Hopefully like last year ill be done tomorrow morning. :)

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Burned all my paid between turkey season and getting married, but I'm still leaving for Ohio next Wednesday for 5 days.

I'll hunt before/after work and on the weekends

Last edited:

nc rabbit hunter

Ive got to work 6 days between now into December.Spend my time deer hunting,flounder gigging and surf fishing.Although the deer bug really isnt hitting me much for the first time in my life.

chrisj0616

I took all next week for conman's and the week after for deer I'll also take two week in December before Christmas. Plus most of my sick time occurs during deer season when the weather is perfect for my favorite spots

w4sar

Six Pointer
I take off the first week of firearms season in the Central Zone, the Thursday and Friday of which I act as a guide for the Wounded Warrior Hunt in my community. The rest of the season I take a day off here or there. I have a lot of comp time owed me from earlier in the year, so often I can get out from work early and hit my stands within an hour for a late afternoon to dark hunt.

Oh, I nearly forgot, my lab is pretty much closed down between Christmas and New Year's Day. I only have to go in to do some quick checks, the rest of the time I'm in the woods!

Last edited:

Voltage

I work on tugs with a 2 week on 2 off schedule I get my days!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I could take 2 months off if I wanted, but I only took 48 hours off. If I can't kill a mature buck as much as I go then its probably my fault.

Oh, and I would be broke.

Last edited:

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
2 weeks vacation here, using it mostly for thanksgiving & Christmas. Right now my wife uses my truck as her daily driver, so it limits me to weekend hunts..

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I used to take opening week of muzzleloader off and Thanksgiving week off, along with a day here and there during December.

<>< Fish

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
None...but my hours aren't THAT bad...I get at least 3 mornings, and 2 evenings a week.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I am on 12 hour shifts and if I take my days off on my short weeks I get an entire week and only burn 2 days of vacation. I have 13 days so that's almost 7 weeks off a year and I'll burn 3 hunting

OnslowDeerMan

I work 3-11 and work 4 days one week and 5 the next so I get plenty of morning hunts and a few evenings hunts each week, I'm also in a managerial position so if I really want to go, I can.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm in the middle of using mine now, 5 days this week and 3 days next week. After that I'm restricted to weekends.

buckhunter

I mow yards and landscape I will finish up this week and hunt till closing.

Swamp_Donkey

Eight Pointer
I don't technically have off, but I can hunt morning and evenings until Jan 1st, some days I can hunt the full day, but my rear end can't. I'm a landscaper so my busy work is basically March-October. I'm down to about 2-3 days work now.

robertc

Eight Pointer
This Friday is my last day until December. I currently have over 300 hours of vacation, 35 hours of comp. time and 1.6 years of sick time. Yep, I'll be out there for a while. After the first of the year I'll take off time and do a little duck hunting. Then 3 weeks off for turkey season. I only work to support my hunting, fishing and kayaking habits.

Reactions: jug

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I can usually go a day here, two days there whenever I want, but, OF COURSE, business just picked up a lot starting next week.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
After taking a week off for turkey, a 1.5 weeks for the cruise, and had planned on 3 weeks for the Montana trip, but went back a week early, I still have 300 +/- hours I can use. Took today off, so minus 8 from that! I may take a day or three per week through November.